• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A Manhattan judge ruled Wednesday that kicking a Trump supporter out of a bar does not violate the law – because the law does not protect against political discrimination.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...vice-to-trump-supporter-wearing-maga-hat.html

So the baker should have refused to bake the cake because the customers were liberals and everything would have been ok?

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the short answer...yes, though the plaintiff would claim otherwise. Such is the nature of legal battles and "victim behavior". Most of us would just go somewhere else...the "trump supporter" I'm sure did. Why this is news and the bakery story news is the real story imo.

Grifdawg

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another article from FoxNews. Wow! I thought they only covered article of minorities behaving badly. Their viewership seem to enjoy those. It reinforces a narrative that FoxNews relies on to maintain it consumer base. It has to convince a segment of society that they are under a constant attack and Trump is the only savior. It has to pit them against anyone unlike them as though its a fight for their very existence. It has to demonize anyone unlike them. Sean Hannity is the worst. I never seen a guy so angry all the time. The Trump supporter should have been allowed to enjoy his drink without harassment. I truly believe we'll MAGA in 2020! Right now, we've stumbled, but we'll regain our footing.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There aren't as many liberals as there appears to be. Take gun forums for example , a few liberals have several accounts and pretend to be folks that they aren't. It fits their SOP to a T , much like their voting in several deferent precincts. They are very flamboyant in their mannerism making it appear that there are more of them than there is. They've been told that if they squeaked loud enough they'll get the grease , but on occasion that grease is hotter than they expected it to be.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Huh. So what law was violated? From the originally linked article, his legal argument in court was: “He was paying spiritual tribute to the victims of 9/11. The Make America Great Again hat was part of his spiritual belief,” Liggieri claimed. "Rather than remove his hat, instead he held true to his spiritual belief and was forced from the bar,” Liggieri told Justice David Cohen, the Post reported.

Is this the legal argument being defended here on the forum? " The Make America Great Again hat was part of his spiritual belief,”. Is anyone here arguing that this is a solid legal argument, and that the judge was wrong in ruling that it was not supported by the testimony?

And why not stick to discussing the topic instead of discussing other forum members? That only leads to conflict. There's plenty to talk about without taking potshots at other forum members.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I mean I get it that some people don't agree with what is considered a "protected class", but the law is what it is, and it's clear. If someone disagrees with it, that's OK, but I see nothing here that violates existing law. Maybe energies would be better spent in an effort to change it instead?

In addition, is everyone aware of the article that quotes the bar owner in saying that the individual in question was served properly, listing off all the drinks for his party, and that he even left a 20 percent tip?

Man ‘booted’ for Trump hat paid like a pleased customer: bar owner

The receipt shows Piatek paid $186 for four ‘Bell of the Ball’ signature cocktails, four Miller High Life beers, a Ketel O​​ne vodka, one Tito’s vodka, four Lagunitas beers, and three ‘Maid to Order” specialty drinks.

Piatek “was sufficiently pleased with his service at the bar that he added” a $36 tip, Neidich notes.

He calls Piatek’s discrimination suit “a publicity stunt.”

Doesn't sound to me like he was refused service, or was kicked out. I mean, who has ever left a 20 percent tip when they get thrown out of the bar? Does this make sense?

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There aren't as many liberals as there appears to be. Take gun forums for example , a few liberals have several accounts and pretend to be folks that they aren't. It fits their SOP to a T , much like their voting in several deferent precincts. They are very flamboyant in their mannerism making it appear that there are more of them there is. They've been told that if they squeaked loud enough they'll get the grease , but on occasion that grease is hotter than they expected it to be.

What?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plus, this is a privately owned bar, AKA private property. The owner can ask anyone to leave whenever he wants to (did anyone perhaps miss the recent Starbucks incident where two guys got arrested for refusing to leave?). So even if it did happen, so what? I see people on this forum all the time defending things like the gun range owner that posted a no-muslims sign (religion in fact, being one of the protected classes).

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Hat should have taken his business seven blocks East to the original Coyote Ugly Saloon.

On private property/business there are a lot of limitations that can be imposed on your Rights and liberties: from your attire to your conduct and your posession of a weapon. You can comply or be asked/told to leave and last resort arrested for trespass. Most businesses have signage stating they reserve the Right to refuse service to anyone. Guy may feel/think the "Hat" represents a spiritual or patriotic belief (also throw in free speech) but the bar owner must also consider liability and safety in his Pub and doesn't want a brawl over a hat which is commonly associated with Trump. Bar owner/Staff obviously did not want to compromise. Lol

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Here ya go, Lefties. Commie News Network more your style? Are there enough "Hate America Some More" articles for you? Wanna derail another thread back to your wheelhouse?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...maga-hat-new-york-bar-lawsuit-trnd/index.html

so fags can force a baker out of business, and must be served, has no choice who to do business with, but a liberal bar owner can throw conservative customers out for the hat they wear.

yeah that makes sense

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My comments were directed at the "Fox News equals Racist Viewers" comments/likes.
    But I honestly don't watch much network "news" anymore. It's all too much Opinion-crap to sift through for real facts.

As for the OP's topic concerning a business owner's right to refuse service, the "No Shirt, No shoes, No Liberals, No Muslims, No firearms, No cellphones, No White clothes after Labor Day" should just be posted on the door. Let the court of public opinion help them edit it. Let people vote with their wallets.

Aren't there restaurants with a dress code? They'll make you wear one of their jackets if you insist on showing up without, or something like that? Aren't there provisions for a business to control whether a person is just hanging out in their store all day, taking up space that could be used by paying customers? If a store official asks a person to leave, do they have to give a reason?

If the bar owner, previously didn't care about hats, but then noticed that a majority of his customers really started to give grief to people who wore MAGA hats, so after quelling too many disagreements, etc, he decided it's best to just ask MAGA hat wearers to take it off or leave, because that's better for his business, what then?

Honest questions.

I don't think a person has a "right" to go to a bar. I feel the business owner has more of a "right" to determine what's best for their business.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My comments were directed at the "Fox News equals Racist Viewers" comments/likes.
    But I honestly don't watch much network "news" anymore. It's all too much Opinion-crap to sift through for real facts.

As for the OP's topic concerning a business owner's right to refuse service, the "No Shirt, No shoes, No Liberals, No Muslims, No firearms, No cellphones, No White clothes after Labor Day" should just be posted on the door. Let the court of public opinion help them edit it. Let people vote with their wallets. A simple "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime", is legal and should cover all eventualities.

Aren't there restaurants with a dress code? They'll make you wear one of their jackets if you insist on showing up without, or something like that? Aren't there provisions for a business to control whether a person is just hanging out in their store all day, taking up space that could be used by paying customers? If a store official asks a person to leave, do they have to give a reason? No

If the bar owner, previously didn't care about hats, but then noticed that a majority of his customers really started to give grief to people who wore MAGA hats, so after quelling too many disagreements, etc, he decided it's best to just ask MAGA hat wearers to take it off or leave, because that's better for his business, what then? Then nothing, thats what. See above.

Honest questions.

I don't think a person has a "right" to go to a bar. I feel the business owner has more of a "right" to determine what's best for their business. For once, we agree.

In any event, the incident almost certainly did not even happen. They stayed for 4 rounds of drinks, a couple of shots, the guy paid the tab and left a $36 tip. The evidence is not consistent with his allegation that he got thrown out of the bar for his hat. Its obvious that he did not even present any witnesses at his court appearance.

I don't see that there's anything even to discuss. The law is clear, the bar owner was well within his rights even if it DID happen, and the evidence presented at trial does not support the lawsuit, and so the claim was denied by a lawfully sitting judge.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As for the OP's topic concerning a business owner's right to refuse service, the "No Shirt, No shoes, No Liberals, No Muslims, No firearms, No cellphones, No White clothes after Labor Day" should just be posted on the door. Let the court of public opinion help them edit it. Let people vote with their wallets.

Aren't there restaurants with a dress code? They'll make you wear one of their jackets if you insist on showing up without, or something like that? Aren't there provisions for a business to control whether a person is just hanging out in their store all day, taking up space that could be used by paying customers? If a store official asks a person to leave, do they have to give a reason?

If the bar owner, previously didn't care about hats, but then noticed that a majority of his customers really started to give grief to people who wore MAGA hats, so after quelling too many disagreements, etc, he decided it's best to just ask MAGA hat wearers to take it off or leave, because that's better for his business, what then?

Honest questions.

I don't think a person has a "right" to go to a bar. I feel the business owner has more of a "right" to determine what's best for their business.

Well that should be the same for all private businesses including those who make cake, they should have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason.

Grifdawg

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow! It must be nice to say any business can deny or select to service customers as they see fit. I wish I was as comfortable relying on the fair and good nature of our fellow man. I, unfortunately, don't have that luxury. I think there are laws in place to ensure folks live up to those noble virtues. History has demonstrated that left up to man, that latitude will be abused.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Wow! It must be nice to say any business can deny or select to service customers as they see fit. I wish I was as comfortable relying on the fair and good nature of our fellow man. I, unfortunately, don't have that luxury. I think there are laws in place to ensure folks live up to those noble virtues. History has demonstrated that left up to man, that latitude will be abused.

not much different than no shoes, no shirt, no service...

if a bar can kick you out for a maga hat, then..

the Utah baker should have been allowed to refuse a cake made for gay weddings if it went against his religious convictions...

try forcing a muslem baker to make a cake for gays....see how that works

Last edited:
    Top Bottom