Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by FLT View Post
    I’ve never considered them for more than pest in the yard, but I had no idea that big bore air guns had that kind of power. It’s all pretty amazing to me.
    In the past they were used in warfare. Lewis and clark had an airgun that they used that was big magic to indians that had never seen one before.
    Girandoni air rifle
    Length: 3′ 11″
    Muzzle velocity: about 500 fps (152 m/s), 117 ft lbs (159 J)
    Caliber: 46, 210 grains (13.6 g)
    Place of origin: Holy Roman Empire
    Designer: Bartholomäus Girandoni
    In service: 1780–1815
    Used by: Austrian Empire, United States of America (Lewis and Clark Expedition)

2. Likes FrommerStop's Post:

45 ACP
    Florida's first whitetail kill with airgun
    https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...09.0;topicseen

4. Likes fv22's Post:

They are hunting and killing hogs with them, Utube it

Last edited by FrankT; 11-02-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Vietnam Vet...Vets Helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!
    The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

VETS for TRUMP 2020 ** KEEP AMERICA GREAT !! "VICTORY"

6. Likes FrankT's Post:

9MM
    My brother went on a paid deer hunt in Texas area last year, one of the guys in his group used a .357 caliber air rifle, took down a 240lb buck with it at 150+ yards. Now, my brother's all excited and wants to get into airgun hunting. For me, I'm content with my .30-30 or my .308. Granted, I don't get to go into the woods as often as he does, so I'm gonna go for the best 'bang' for my time.
    Youtube has videos showing all kinds of airgun hunting and shooting. Even a good many showing ballistic gel tests, accuracy tests at various ranges. From what I've seen, an airgun won't do as well as your typical hunting rifle at longer ranges, but they seem to be very good at 100-ish yards and less for sure.

8. Likes Jevaughn's Post:

Just wondering . . . do you have any stats on the terminal energy produced by that ??gr. pellet/bullet at 150yds ?? --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

10. Likes SAWMAN's Post:

9MM
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Just wondering . . . do you have any stats on the terminal energy produced by that ??gr. pellet/bullet at 150yds ?? --- SAWMAN
    From what I've seen, they're getting 1200-1300 fps at the muzzle with a 120 grain bullet on the higher end with most of the .357/9mm projectile rifles, but 1000 fps is about standard it seems. Granted, they lose velocity with each following round as your air reserve depletes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Jevaughn's Post:

WOW . . !! . . that is really fast with that heavy of projectile. What are they made out of and what profile ?? --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

14. Likes SAWMAN's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jevaughn View Post
    My brother went on a paid deer hunt in Texas area last year, one of the guys in his group used a .357 caliber air rifle, took down a 240lb buck with it at 150+ yards. Now, my brother's all excited and wants to get into airgun hunting. For me, I'm content with my .30-30 or my .308. Granted, I don't get to go into the woods as often as he does, so I'm gonna go for the best 'bang' for my time.
    Youtube has videos showing all kinds of airgun hunting and shooting. Even a good many showing ballistic gel tests, accuracy tests at various ranges. From what I've seen, an airgun won't do as well as your typical hunting rifle at longer ranges, but they seem to be very good at 100-ish yards and less for sure.
    The key thing is precise shooting with such weapons.

9MM
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    WOW . . !! . . that is really fast with that heavy of projectile. What are they made out of and what profile ?? --- SAWMAN
    Nosler ballistic tips seem pretty prevalent, but so are cast rounds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe this is being thought of in the wrong way...
    Trump talking about snuffing silencers...but air guns are the ULTIMATE in Silence!!
    No POP, no BANG, no BOOM, not even a pew...

At a distance of 100+ yards...doubt many would think that the sound of an air gun firing at that range would be a danger, or even something to remember...
    Last edited by Big Shrek; 06-05-2019 at 07:01 PM.