• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Red

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I inherited some rifles from my dad who lived in Michigan
    The problem is that at one time the Anti-constitution politicians required you to stamp your drivers license or other state issued ID numbers on any & all firearms you owned.

I was wondering just how badly this would affect the value of the piece.
    I really don’t intend to sell these as I intend to pass them on down to my son & then hopefully on down to my grandson. So this is more out of curiosity than anything else.
    Here’s an example, a very nice Winchester model 1897 Trap 12 gauge shotgun in otherwise excellent condition. Also a Marlin 39 made around 1930 & a Winchester 30-30 of the same era.
    As I said, they have more sentimental value to me than actual cash value but I’m just wondering how badly those “Delta Hotel” Deamoncrats destroyed our personal property’s value.

Anyone have any idea???

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Meh. At this point, function is more important. Older guns are allowed some "character" and patina; more-so if they've been cared-for and function properly.

Hopefully the engraving isn't huge, all up and down the barrel and receiver, gouged deep and rusting from neglect.

In your shoes, I'd try to secure his last driver's license (or state ID; whatever was used for the gun marking), and write out this "back-story", old school with pen and paper. Maybe even cite the specific Michigan statutes. Seal it in an envelope and keep with the guns. Your son and grandson will appreciate it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Obviously they are worth less then an unmarked example in similar condition unless there is some notoriety or celebrity status attributed to the individual identified by the markings. There will be more sentimental value then street value regardless of function.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    a Marlin 39 made around 1930

a 39 manufactured between 1922-1938 with a 24" octagon barrel, case hardened receiver, and S-shaped pistol grip stock could have a value of $4,950

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Each of those rifles in very good condition could be worth in the neighborhood of $1,000, maybe a little more.
    How much they are devalued would depend on the buyer.
    Personally, I’m not interested in defaced firearms like that unless they are dirt cheap but to some it might not be that big a deal.

Big Red

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Snake-Eyes, Excellent idea
    The stamping on the trap gun is in very deep & looks like it was done by hand with a stamp & hammer. Otherwise I think it would grade out to very good to excellent, too sad it was destroyed like that Same with the 30-30. Just one more reason to get rid of hateful gun grabbing politicians.

Last edited:

Members online

Top Bottom