• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is yalls opinions on them? Am in the market for a new 4x4 and like the price point on them. Are they a get what you pay for type of thing? A customer of mine is a mechanic and he says to avoid them like the plague. Not sure if he is just a Chevy fanboy but he said they are the most dependable on the market now. Ive always owned Ford but was told to stay away from them as well. Was looking for a 2015 or newer crew cab if that matters. Thanks.

zombiekiller

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What is yalls opinions on them? Am in the market for a new 4x4 and like the price point on them. Are they a get what you pay for type of thing? A customer of mine is a mechanic and he says to avoid them like the plague. Not sure if he is just a Chevy fanboy but he said they are the most dependable on the market now. Ive always owned Ford but was told to stay away from them as well. Was looking for a 2015 or newer crew cab if that matters. Thanks.

I love my Ram. It’s a 2012 quad cab with the Hemi. She’s a beast, and hasn’t given me any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you buy new? I was told if I gef one to get the Hemi, which is a no brainer. Stay away ffrom the 6 banger. I drove one the other day and it def had balls. Drove a Titan, F150 and a Silverado, and a RAM the other day and liked the RAM the best. You hear anything about the 2015 or newer ones having any problems? Ive read mixed reviews on the internetz

zombiekiller

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought it pre-owned and let some other schmuck eat all the depreciation. It was three years old and had less than 30,000 miles on it when I bought it.

I don’t know if they have any kind of bad reputation or not. Honestly, I think all of the “xxxxxxx trucks are pieces of shit” people are generally mouth-breathing Mountain Dew drinkers. I had an F-150 for nearly 10 years. It was a great truck. Sold it to some farm dude in Crestview back in 2012...still see it on the road occasionally. That truck is 16 years old now and has to have at least 250k on it now.

Buy what you like, dude. I don’t think there are any “bad” trucks out there nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    They've all got their issues. I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. I've owned them all. I can tell you about the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks all you want. I work in the oilfield and our fleet vehicles have been every make there is. The trucks I've seen take the most abuse, highest mileage and idle hours, and had the least downtime are the F series Super Duty with the 6.7. Our older fleet of 7.3's were phased out, but they all had insanely high mileage with minimal problems. The last experience with a Dodge I had was a 2011 2500 that was absolutely the worst ride I've ever been in. It had the cummins and a manual trans. The trans went out twice in less than 100k miles. I had to drive that thing from ND to LA and I couldn't walk for the next 2 days. I think I shit out my kidneys in a rest stop halfway to Louisiana. The Chevy with the Duramax was strong but the cab felt cramped to me. Didn't see many issues other than injectors. The Tundras are great, but a little weak for what they are. Also horrible gas mileage. Titans had awful mileage, and the suspension components wore out quickly. Silverado gassers held up well but had rear end problems. I don't have much experience with the F150, or Dodge gassers other than the older Dodges couldn't keep a transmission in them. Of ALL the trucks I've driven, and buddy I've driven them all and added up literally hundreds of thousands of miles, I bought an F250 king ranch with the 6.7. I won't own another truck if I can help it. The 6.7s are being proven to be more bullet proof than the 7.3s. Steer clear of the Ford 6.0 and 6.4. Sorry for the novel, but thought I'd give you some perspective from someone that's used and abused every major truck made for the past 20 years.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad cab Laramie Hemi 2WD new in 2003. It has 150k miles on it now, no complaints. Still my daily driver. Oil changes and a battery every 5 years. I plan to replace it with a 2500 diesel 4WD when the time comes. But then, I have a lot of family who have worked for Chrysler since the big one (WWII).

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like asking what gun should I buy, the primary use makes a lot of difference. My history new buys: 80 chevy 1/2 ton suburban: 160K great, 90 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 sub: tranny failed @ 92K, 98 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 Dsl cummings: loud and rattling engine uncomfortable seats: got rid of it @26K, F350 Crew 7.3 Dsl 4X4: OUTSTANDING, had it for 15 years 109K (sold it because I wasn't driving much after my 2nd retirement).

Stay away from V10s sucks too much gas for equal performance in other engins, the Dsl6.8 is a dog that doesn't pull well even with lower differential gears!

Little Ford rangers 100K+ on a 4x4: no rattles ran outstanding. I think Ford is bring them back too.

Consider a full size Crew Cab on whatever brand you choose.

Trucks are hard to get true MPG on. I do think todays gas eng/trans are pretty equal to Dsl. So Dsl only if you really need the pulling torgue they provide.

I know two guy that owned Tundras: great overall but the ride is stiff enough to beat you to death: both sold them. I don't think either guy put anything heavier then groceries in them or tried shock swaps.

Generally speaking, I think its as much of a crap shoot buying used as it is between Brands. DO YOUR OWN CARFAX CHECK! See maint, accidents AND if its been registered in any flood areas (Houston). Take a creeper and coveralls crawl all over it for obvious problems and areas/parts that don't look in the same condition. If it passes take it for a diagnostic check.

Good luck on the hunt.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the 6.7 Cummins. It is the last truck I will ever own barring an accident. I love it. It is the SLT Big Horn edition with a cab that looks like my living room.....big and spacious. It currently has 115K miles on it and I drive it 135 miles every day. It is without a doubt the best truck I have ever owned and I am 62 years old and had a few trucks in my lifetime. Not knocking the other brands as I have owned both GMC and Chevy. Never owned a Ford truck so can't comment on them at all.

BTW if I had to replace my current truck I would buy another Ram. Either with the 5.7 Hemi or the new V6 Diesel. My son-in-law has the diesel and loves it. Tows a large travel trailer through the mountains in Idaho on a regular basis. Good luck with your decision.

Idoono

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a mechanic and my opinion is the are all junk, buy whichever one you like the way it rides and drives and take your chances. I am no longer brand loyal to trucks, they all have their problems. With that being said out of the big three I think RAM is having the least problems, Ford is struggling with electrical issues, GM has engine issues and paint peeling issues on white trucks, and the Hemi in the past has had problems breaking valve springs. I've been kicking the tires on getting a newer truck but can't decide which POS to drop my hard earned money on.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And don't buy a diesel unless you are going to be pulling something all the time, maintenance and repairs is out of sight on diesels plus they are having problems with the DEF systems. Ram diesels catalytic converters go out every 75,000 miles and it's a $3500 repair every time.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And don't buy a diesel unless you are going to be pulling something all the time, maintenance and repairs is out of sight on diesels plus they are having problems with the DEF systems. Ram diesels catalytic converters go out every 75,000 miles and it's a $3500 repair every time.

My work truck is a 2017 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel. Had some tranny shifting problems with it and one of the guys accidentally put DEF fluid in the diesel tank on his truck. The repair bill as quoted by the dealership was $22,000 dollars. The fleet purchase (GSA) was a little less than $25,000 so they totaled it out.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

True, all new diesels are having problems with DEF. Thank God mine does not use that crap.

Idoono

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pulled the trigger on an '18. Only had it a few days but loving it so far! IMG_1563.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
      IMG_1563.jpg
      365.6 KB · Views: 139

skippyt

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Keep the trailer , if history tells us anything about Dodge, you're gonna need it on a regular basis

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats a good looking truck.. I have not been a fan of the way Ram trucks look in a long time (which is sad because my dad is a dealer and I can get great deals on them). But the newer ones have come a long way.. and I really like the look of the 2019 model. My dad said they just got some on the lot and they are really nice! I am holding out to see the new Jeep Scrambler that is supposed to come back out next year.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The main draw back I dislike about the Rams is the fuel mileage. I owned a 2003 way back when and it sucked at fuel mileage!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congratulations on your new Truck. I hope you and the family enjoy many safe miles in it. Your not going to be like those Harley D. guys that trailer their ride to a location, unload, then drive around like they have Iron Butts are you? Lol

Did you go with the diesel or gas?

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Whats the fuel mileage numbers on the new models?

Latest posts

Top Bottom