• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went to the range today mainly to check out my new to me Dan Wesson 715 6” with vent rib and heavy under-lug(frame kind of reminds me of a S&W 686). This is one of the old Monson, Mass Dan Wessons(pre-CZ). Overall, I am very pleased, which is good considering I traded one of my best shooting 1911’s for it.

All shots were from 15 yards off of a bench, 18 rounds on each target. Both the .38 Specials and the .357 Magnums were my reloads. The .38’s were 4.5 grains of W231 and the .357’s were 15 grains of H110, both behind a 158 grain copper plated bullet. Left target is .38 Special and the right is .357 Magnum.

I did shoot it a lot more than just the two targets pictured(about 100 rounds total), but the day was kind soured when I had a squib load(my fault, it was one of my reloads). I didn’t have anything with me to clear it, so I benched it and went on to shooting my M1 .30 Carbine and Henry lever in .357.

So, good day at the range with friends both shooting the guns and shooting the breeze.

Garry

Attachments

• SAM_0324.JPG
      SAM_0324.JPG
      60 KB · Views: 215
    • Dan Wesson 715 L.JPG
      Dan Wesson 715 L.JPG
      23.9 KB · Views: 221
    • Dan Wesson 715 R.JPG
      Dan Wesson 715 R.JPG
      26.8 KB · Views: 222

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nice shooter.

I had a blued model in the late '70's. It was the most accurate pistol I ever owned but I let it go. Found a Ruger GP-100 that shot as well, and foolishly let it go too. I AM a slow learner!

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have one of the older 744's, a great shooter and one heck of a SA trigger. Great guns and I've kept a eye out for a 357 model. Congrats!

Tradewinds in Gulf Breeze had a model 15 about week or so ago for $650.00, and it came with a 6" on it and I believe an extra 4". It included tools and instructions for barrel removal/install. I almost bought it, but I wanted the stainless. Old Monson, Mass Dan Wessons are getting hard to find and the new ones from CZ are WAY too expensive.

Garry

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Tradewinds always has at least one cool thing in there, sometimes their prices can be optimistic but he's always been willing to deal with me.

You need to take some glamor shots of this thing and post gen in Jeb21's wheelgun thread

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Tradewinds in Gulf Breeze had a model 15 about week or so ago for $650.00, and it came with a 6" on it and I believe an extra 4". It included tools and instructions for barrel removal/install. I almost bought it, but I wanted the stainless. Old Monson, Mass Dan Wessons are getting hard to find and the new ones from CZ are WAY too expensive.

Garry

Mine is the Monson, Mass in SS, and that's what I've kept my eye out for in a 357 version. Not to found of blued revolvers. I'm not actively looking for one, but if I came across one in a pawn shop or on armslist or something for a decent price I'd pick it up.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up one of these Dan Wesson .357 6" at the gun show a couple of months ago. Really wanted a 4" but have been looking for an extra barrel. Shot quite well when I got it out finally.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a blue 4 inch DW in 77. It had the most beautiful deep blue finish I have ever seen (still true). Problem was that when you got a ding on it: it actually chipped off the finish leaving a white sub coat of some type visible. When the barrel is properly gapped and tightened it was a tack driver. Purchased it as a work gun but that finish would have taken a beating, sold it.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    mine is the monson, mass in ss, and that's what i've kept my eye out for in a 357 version. Not to found of blued revolvers. I'm not actively looking for one, but if i came across one in a pawn shop or on armslist or something for a decent price i'd pick it up.

be careful on armslist

Top Bottom