• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes I was one of those SSB CBers (Whitehorse), my base station was a Siltronics(Swan) 1011C and D. I had big power base and mobile, it was a blast, I should have gone HAM...it was a lot of fun

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I was one of those SSB CBers (Whitehorse), my base station was a Siltronics(Swan) 1011C and D. I had big power base and mobile, it was a blast, I should have gone HAM...it was a lot of fun

Hey frank I always wanted one of them keydown suburban but their no good Cb shop or any good techs. That will treat you fair or know what they doing. I use to like talking skip.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It was a blast talking to truckers or really anyone, I had a 250 linear in the truck and 750-1000 at home, talk to people all over, talking to truckers 500 miles away. In Alice Texas we had a young man with Muscular Dystrophy we all adopted, big CB club there. Built him a base station, huge tower and we was the Red Baron on 281 Alice Texas!

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a blast talking to truckers or really anyone, I had a 250 linear in the truck and 750-1000 at home, talk to people all over, talking to truckers 500 miles away. In Alice Texas we had a young man with Muscular Dystrophy we all adopted, big CB club there. Built him a base station, huge tower and we was the Red Baron on 281 Alice Texas!

I still get a kick out of it. I went to Mexico for vacation one year and the taxi driver the cheap plan and simple setup and he talked all over the U.S. I don't who they cb tech is but they be getting heard. I know at one time I had became a radio junkie. I had over 70 radios and 20 amps. Some cb shop knew me by my real name lol. I still have some radios but the guys around mobile don't talk everyday or fight everyday to see who the baddest radio.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to thank the guys for sending me over to contact Robert Perry at Pea Ridge Flea Market. Stopped by a few weeks ago and we chatted for over 2hrs and he answered many questions I had and steered me in the right direction to get started. Picked up a Sdr player you hook to your computer and an antenna and you can moniter all ham bands as well as AM & FM Broadcast from around the world. Setup a 20ft dipole antenna as well as a long wire antenna last weekend not an easy thing to do when you can barely stand but with help from my wife we got it together and up. Tonight I was able to pull in stations from Boston Massachusetts , Concord NH, Montana , Los Angeles , the Carolinas and Texas as well as a few non english language stations. still in a learning mode but I'm trying my best. Hope to take technicians test locally in June. Then I'll pickup a mobile setup to use as a base station and after becoming licensed I'll be able to transmit . Giong to be awhile before I can afford a used HF setup but maybe some day. Again thank you all for the guidance .

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a used discontinued model RSP1 2 lengths of 60ft coaxial and connectors, and lightning protector, and a long wire antenna for about $185.

I also picked up an aluminum j-pole antenna . To use when I get a base setup.
    http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

But for the SDR player it's just hooked to a long wire antenna .

I built a 20ft antenna out of galvanized pipe . Put j-pole on top and wire antenna about 2ft down from the top.

I've got about $260 invested in everything . Set the pole up about 3ft from the ground on my fence post and made it so in bad weather I can swivel it down to the ground.

Currently working on grounding the pole and coaxial and putting the cable into pvc pipe and running it up against the ground and fastening it to the ground so the landscaper doesn't cut the coaxial or the pipe. Lots of work but I'm doing while in a wheel chair with the wife's help.

Kept me entertained from 7pm to3am this morning . Picked up stations clearly all over the country.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes Frank .

It helps me beat the boredom looking at 4 walls all day. Once I past the ham test I can transmit . Locally here on 146.7650 & 146.7700 is the Pensacola , Milton repeaters that run off 2meter. I listen to that off a regular Udiden police/fire scanner. A bunch of regular guys chat daily on it.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you decide to get into HF let me know. I manufacture a 6 band (6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20) Hexbeam antenna (http://www.k4hex.com). Always interested in trading. I live in Panama City but my folks live in Pensacola and I am over here pretty regularly.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes Frank .

It helps me beat the boredom looking at 4 walls all day. Once I past the ham test I can transmit . Locally here on 146.7650 & 146.7700 is the Pensacola , Milton repeaters that run off 2meter. I listen to that off a regular Udiden police/fire scanner. A bunch of regular guys chat daily on it.

You should try the Ft. Walton Repeater. My dad can work it from Pensacola (east side) and I could work it from the west end of Panama City Beach (haven't tried since I moved to Bayou George) so we could talk to each other from Panama Cit to Pensacola on 2M. Both antennas were home brew copper J-Poles at about 25ft. Great for comms in the event that one of us looses power in a storm.

Top Bottom