• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been going a bit stir crazy lately as I'm disabled and stuck home while the wife works so thought I'd try a new hobby.

Looking into taking classes locally for ham radio license but before doing so I'd like to pickup some equipment . Not looking for a huge setup just something to use with the local repeaters in the area. Even a mobile unit I can setup with a power supply and run as a base unit.

Like everyone else I'm on a limted budget and may have a firearm to sweeten the pot but gotten rid of most of those to.

But if you have something laying around collecting dust that needs a new home please let me know. Keep in mind I'm disabled so no big projects.

Thank you.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There's a guy at the Pea Ridge Flea Market (in Pace on Hwy 90) that has all kinds of Ham Equipment from mobile to base stations. Not sure if he's open during weekdays, but he is on the weekends.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am a Ham (KJ4ZPB). I believe you have a good idea with using a mobile unit, power supply and antenna. I have a portable rig in a case that can run on either house current or battery (not for sale). You could also try a hand held unit, which can be very inexpensive, and a good antenna. Have you contacted any of the local Ham clubs? They are great sources of knowledge and equipment.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi ccather thanks for the information . I've talked of online forum on facebook with a few guys from the Milton Ham club they've been very helpful guiding me towards classes and any questions I've had. As I stated I'm very much a newbie to this hobbie and am slowly figuring out the different meter radios. I have a scanner and they advised me to listen in locally on both the Pensacola and Milton frequencies of
    145.490 and 146.760 and by listening I've learned a lot.

Any suggests on meter of radio to use to run off local repeaters and also what is a have way decent mobile radio in the $250 or under range I can use as a base station and what power source would it need?

Again Thank you.

skipbo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi ccather thanks for the information . I've talked of online forum on facebook with a few guys from the Milton Ham club they've been very helpful guiding me towards classes and any questions I've had. As I stated I'm very much a newbie to this hobbie and am slowly figuring out the different meter radios. I have a scanner and they advised me to listen in locally on both the Pensacola and Milton frequencies of
    145.490 and 146.760 and by listening I've learned a lot.

Any suggests on meter of radio to use to run off local repeaters and also what is a have way decent mobile radio in the $250 or under range I can use as a base station and what power source would it need?

Again Thank you.

Hi! Skip N4XXO. What you probably want is a mobile rig. You'll need a 12v source, coax, and an antenna.I would suggest a dual band radio so you can monitor vhf /uhf. Where are you located ? There are several repeaters in the Pensacola & Milton areas. You also have several modes to choose from - FM analog is the most common. Call for more info on training,testing and setting up...850-380-2456.

skipbo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is Bob, W5CL. He is a great resource and has a lot of equipment for sale. He is with the Milton club and also the Pensacola club.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Locally, I enjoy 2 meters. I mostly just listen. If you want to talk and listen to people father away, I enjoy 20 meters. You may find the equipment to work 20 meters more expensive than the 2 meter equipment, but I find it more entertaining. You could get a taste of 20 meters (and other bands) by getting a shortwave radio (you can only listen on these). I find that spending money on good antennas to be a wise investment.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you skipbo

I'm located in Ensley right behind Harbor Freight off 9mile road. I have pretty much been leaning towards the setup you mentioned . (a dual band radio so you can monitor vhf /uhf. )

Bob Speser on Milton ham radio also gave me WTCL to call at 390-1665. His name is Bob. Trying to sell some stuff off to have some cash to make a deal.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ccather I do listen quite a bit but I would like to do some talking and after I get educated enough may be intrested in getting involved with any local emergency relays. As for doing any far away stuff I don't think I can afford that type of equipment.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mobile ham fest is April 14th at the shriner temple. If you want to take a ride I'm a cb radio man myself. I never tried ham.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glock31c back in the 70s to 80s I drove truck and always had a CB running. Made the trip from New England to Florida a few times early 2000 and it was mostly dead air.

Are there many using the CB here around the area? We stopped at Derailed truck stop over in Alabama by Wilcox Road a few weeks back and they had some CBs and equipment but wasn't sure anyone uses anymore. The sales lady said she was always selling them but who knows for sure.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glock31c back in the 70s to 80s I drove truck and always had a CB running. Made the trip from New England to Florida a few times early 2000 and it was mostly dead air.

Are there many using the CB here around the area? We stopped at Derailed truck stop over in Alabama by Wilcox Road a few weeks back and they had some CBs and equipment but wasn't sure anyone uses anymore. The sales lady said she was always selling them but who knows for sure.
    I'm still a truck driver I talk to guy I know. But don't as many trucker talk no more. It some guy with big base station that talk on ch 21 around mobile. And ch 20 in pcola. And Atmore and Baldwin county ch 26 from 4 am til 7 am. It use to be a cb repair shop at the oasis truck stop but the got shut down.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah back in the 70s-80s you always had someone to chat with. Started out back in the 60s with a globe tube setup. That thing was amazing on a skip. We be plowing snow in Connecticut and talk to guys crop dusting in the Carolinas . Then guys started building big setups with amplifiers you got lots of cowboys trying to be aholes and just messing up the channels about that time many shut their radios off permenetly.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah back in the 70s-80s you always had someone to chat with. Started out back in the 60s with a globe tube setup. That thing was amazing on a skip. We be plowing snow in Connecticut and talk to guys crop dusting in the Carolinas . Then guys started building big setups with amplifiers you got lots of cowboys trying to be aholes and just messing up the channels about that time many shut their radios off permenetly.

The jerks who used the big amps just to stop any one else from being able to talk caused me to quit using my CB. I bought a Jeep and dug my old CB out of the closet after 20+ years so I could talk to the other Jeeps when I go on trail rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to hear you are still using a CB to communicate while driving, Darrell. Most truckers appear to be texting these days..

I love talking on my cb radio that the first thing I do when I get in the truck is turn it on. But these new truck driver don't have one or got a $500 dollar radio and don't use it. Until a backup on the interstate they are the worst with texting and driving or on Facebook.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I love talking skip when I was over the road driver.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up a set of those long range rechargeable walkie talkies a few years back. And the wife and I use them while biking the local trails. or should I say she bikes I use my battery scooter.

The radios work great with ear pieces and boom mikes. Big help when your half deaf. We can chat as we go and point out different things to each other along the path.

She gets exercise riding the bike 10-15 miles and I get fresh air and not looking at 4 walls for a few hours. 15181581_10209047357074524_7906883518886191518_n.jpg

Attachments

• 15181581_10209047357074524_7906883518886191518_n.jpg
      15181581_10209047357074524_7906883518886191518_n.jpg
      98.4 KB · Views: 53

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is so much to do in amateur radio, besides just talking. I'm more into the HF side of radio, but VHF (2 meter/440) is fun to build experience, and very inexpensive to get into. We used to do a lot of radioteletype(RTTY) and other forms of digital radio like (SSTV)slow scan tv. It's a great hobby, I have spent 30 years on ham and other forms of radio, and it still keeps me entertained. I spend a lot more time on the radio, than on the internet. Those guys at the Milton club give those tests at west Florida hospital once a month I think, they are a good bunch of folks.

Top Bottom