• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hate to see this. I'm always for another place to shoot, but at the same time can understand the concern of this couple. It does appear that the range owners are trying to do what they can to be good neighbors.

A Shalimar attorney has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a Holt couple who are seeking to stop construction of a large shooting range next to their property.

The Gartmans allege that Southern Tactical Range, LLC, a shooting range under construction on a lot directly adjacent to theirs, is infringing on their right to feel safe on their personal property.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20180317/holt-couple-sues-to-stop-construction-of-shooting-range

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's the one next to the "I sue for anything" attorney's bill of swindle you outta of your money clause. Win or lose, you still pay.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It'd probably be cheaper in the long run for them to buy out the Gartmans and be done with it.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prob the folks with the big white fence on Hwy 90. They have a sign in their yard with a bunch of negativity directed towards the shooting range. Oh well...

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I work for the firm that designed this range and was actually the person that prepared the drawings so I am very familiar with the intent and length the owners went to insure it's safety and usability. It will be an incredible facility once it is completed and I know for a fact the owners have big plans for it in the future. This is one of the safest range designs I have ever seen or heard of and the owners have bent over backwards to be as neighborly as possible at every step of the process. They have taken every precaution to reduce noise and make this range as safe as possible. The design incorporates varying height earth berms up to 45' tall on the impact end and sides of all shooting areas. They are actually moving over a million cubic yard of dirt to accomplish this at tremendous cost to the owners. The design also includes and in most cases far exceeds all NRA guidelines for construction, sound reduction and overall safety and was reviewed by numerous firearm safety agencies throughout the design process. When completed this will be one of the best and safest facilities in this area for sure. I believe this lawsuit is overly frivolous. It was independently reviewed by county planning agencies, Federal agencies and the NRA and approved with no comment. I can understand not wanting it beside your home but unfortunately if it meets all guidelines of the county, the NRA, all required planning departments both locally and federally and has been approved as such then it can and should be built. They have to go somewhere after all... If anyone here would like to see the overall site plan for the range I could ask the owners if I could post it here. I don't think that they would mind.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    They have a Facebook set up as well, lots of pictures of the building process. It looks like it's gonna turn out to be a really nice range.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I can understand the range folks but to put it next door to residences is more than upsetting for those folks who are already there. If I were the neighbors I would fight it too and if it ever get in use there would be complaints 10 times a day to get it shut down. I know this is not Texas and things are closer together here in FL but there had to be better places for the range.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is the proposed gun range land zoned as commercial or residential? What for the objecting couple's property?

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can understand the range folks but to put it next door to residences is more than upsetting for those folks who are already there. If I were the neighbors I would fight it too and if it ever get in use there would be complaints 10 times a day to get it shut down. I know this is not Texas and things are closer together here in FL but there had to be better places for the range.

Gotta go with Frank on this one.........only because I think this boils down to " NIMBY "....all is well with those who approve of this range....Think it's a great idea....it's all super safe....and don't have any problems with this money making idea....BUT....."You" don't live next door to the range...If this was going into "Your" neighborhood... would you be so approving of it ? Don't think you would be...
    At that point is where we would all be hearing the cry of " NIMBY ".....Oh hell no...not a range next to "My" house ....NOT IN MY BACK YARD !!!
    Attitudes change when it affects them.....

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did the county allow a change from residential to business zoning for the proposed gun range? If so, was there a public commenting period?

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Prob the folks with the big white fence on Hwy 90. They have a sign in their yard with a bunch of negativity directed towards the shooting range. Oh well...

That’s the folks alright, their sign use to convey conservative and anti-Obama messages. Now it’s anti-2 Amendment because of a NIMBY attitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did the county allow a change from residential to business zoning for the proposed gun range? If so, was there a public commenting period?

If it's zoned agriculture which given the the area it probably is, the county ordinances may not require it to be commercial zoned.
    Went through this when a friend and I were looking at buying the range area at Walton Estates when it went belly up. We ended up passing because of the cost.

Here is the Okaloosa land uses authorized for agriculture land. It may be different in Santa Rosa, but I can't imagine it would be vastly different.

Outdoor Recreation. Outdoor recreation uses including public or private parks, recreation areas,campgrounds, preserves, nature walks/trails, hunting or gun clubs/lodges, shootingranges/sporting clays, canoe/kayak/boat rentals, horseback riding stables and trails, summercamps/youth camps/day camps, motor vehicle/motorcycle/ATV tracks and trails, and other similaroutdoor recreation uses where large areas of land are necessary and/or desirable toaccommodate the use.

I can't see me straying away from CORE, but another range is never a bad thing.

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I would LOVE to live next door to a range, How convienient is that? No driving for a half hour every time i want to shoot. (How much do they want for the place now that its in an undesirable location .(next to a dangerous shooting range)
    Been looking for a place like that.!(ha ha.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Heck it is dangerous to be on most ranges this would be worse. Mac you say that but I am betting you would be here whining if one was put next door to your house! It is always OK for it to be next to someone else's house but not yours.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ranges are always objectionable to someone. Usually the folks that won’t benefit from it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ranges are always objectionable to someone. Usually the folks that won’t benefit from it.
    With some exceptions most ranges will be next to someone. That particular range sounds like it is very well designed and I hope it goes through. There is noise and what would concern me most would be traffic and in and out if I was living next to it.

Please post links for FB or elsewhere that shows the range layout and plans.

Top Bottom