• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody actually been to a "brick and mortar" Amazon store? I think there are two. Wally will be around for a while.

DoubleDee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There has been a paradigm shift of Walmart taking over Sears as the top retail outlet that goes back to the late 70’s when Sears refused to change to be more like Wal*Mart at the time. Sears Tower in Chicago was the beginning of the end, all the money they sunk into that building (which was sold and is now Willis Tower, unless you grew up in Chicago and everyone still calls it by its old name, the Sears Tower) Wal*Mart at the time had thier headquarters in Bentonville Arkansas...(where the hell is that located?). Sears refused to change, hanging on to thier catalog orders, not going online (look at Amazon). Even as I write this, Wal*Mart is playing catch up with Amazon for online orders as again, there is another paradigm shift. Wal*Mart (old spelling as they are now Walmart, due to online footprint) has way more overhead cost than Amazon as of right now....let’s see where this goes. Some folks choose to boycott Walmart now, it doesn’t affect thier bottom line one bit, just makes those folks feel good about not shopping there and that’s ok as it’s thier money. The K*Mart/Sears fiasco is one that plays out every other generation as one retailer succumbs to another...only time will tell who goes down next.
    KMart will be gone in a few years as will Sears. Remember when KMart had a great sporting goods department? I ran a department in KMart in one of their Atlanta stores. Never worked so hard. The place was crazy with customers. That was in the early 70s. You're right about generational changes and the
    move to online shopping is going to bring about greater changes in brick and mortar. Lots of those shopping malls would make great gun ranges!
    I think the same thing will happen to WalMart in a decade or two.
    Remember JM Fields, Kresge, Woolco, WT Grant, Woolworth (before Woolco - hey, they tried!) Zayres and probably many I don't remember. Perhaps Dick's will be next. The beat goes on.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Michaels opened right next door to Dick's. My wife went in Michael's and I killed time in Dick's, then went over to meet her. Yes the lot was fairly full, and a TON of people were in Michael's, not so many in Dick's. I can't say it stayed that way all day, but from the prices I saw there won't be many people in Dick's going forward.
    Good to hear. Thanks for the inside report.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There has been a paradigm shift of Walmart taking over Sears as the top retail outlet that goes back to the late 70’s when Sears refused to change to be more like Wal*Mart at the time. Sears Tower in Chicago was the beginning of the end, all the money they sunk into that building (which was sold and is now Willis Tower, unless you grew up in Chicago and everyone still calls it by its old name, the Sears Tower) Wal*Mart at the time had thier headquarters in Bentonville Arkansas...(where the hell is that located?). Sears refused to change, hanging on to thier catalog orders, not going online (look at Amazon). Even as I write this, Wal*Mart is playing catch up with Amazon for online orders as again, there is another paradigm shift. Wal*Mart (old spelling as they are now Walmart, due to online footprint) has way more overhead cost than Amazon as of right now....let’s see where this goes. Some folks choose to boycott Walmart now, it doesn’t affect thier bottom line one bit, just makes those folks feel good about not shopping there and that’s ok as it’s thier money. The K*Mart/Sears fiasco is one that plays out every other generation as one retailer succumbs to another...only time will tell who goes down next.
    I suspect somewhere down the line amazon and walmart will realize that together they can monopolize the shopping world and they will merge. That'll be the end of who knows how many others and we'll have even less to choose from. One step closer to the company store ;-)

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I remember all the stores that DD mentioned and bought a gun in a few of them.
    I bought my Marlin 336 on sale at Kmart in 1977 for $92.
    Seems like I bought my Remington 1100 on sale at JM Field in 1979 for $188.

pcola4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's why I'm asking- I can't expect a single Mart or even local area manager to have that authority. Guessing it came from Bentonville, Arkansa proper...

I was in the Crestview Walmart yesterday and they had guns o plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was in the Crestview Walmart yesterday and they had guns o plenty.

I was in there earlier this week and saw that too, though I did notice among the rifles and shotguns in the two display cases there were no AR-15s like I've seen there in the past.

Top Bottom