• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luv2Hunt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walmart just lost $800-$1200 a month worth of business from me and probably will never notice or care. As far as a boycott having impact, in theory it could, in reality most will not inconvenience themselves or spend an extra few dollars to shop elsewhere. The 80/20 rule applies even when it comes to standing up for rights or beliefs.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I think sportsmen have historically showed department stores that we absolutely have an impact. Every department store that I can remember who chose to stop selling firearms has at least filed for bankruptcy or has completely gone out of business. I was hoping that Wal-mart was watching and would hold out. I don't primarily shop there but them selling firearms and hunting items kept prices competitive. Anyone even remember Service Merchandise, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards? All examples of companies that used to sell guns and went out of business after giving in to pressure from people who never shopped at their stores!! I believe a boycott will definitely affect them!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I honestly applaud them for this move...momentarily.

Everyone wants to get on the computer and talk about how stupid the walmart cashiers are and degrade anyone that wears the blue shirt to make a living. How about consider that WalMart must first understand the new laws, that are state based, and secondly must train all applicable associates to comply with the law. I guaran-damn-tee you if your son or daughter, wife, loved one was working that counter and was to be held personally responsible/liable for the lawful sale of firearms you'd want them trained.

Walmart didnt choose these changes, but they still have to comply, as well will others. Letting the dust settle is wise.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Everyone wants to get on the computer and talk about how stupid the walmart cashiers are and degrade anyone that wears the blue shirt to make a living. How about consider that WalMart must first understand the new laws, that are state based, and secondly must train all applicable associates to comply with the law. I guaran-damn-tee you if your son or daughter, wife, loved one was working that counter and was to be held personally responsible/liable for the lawful sale of firearms you'd want them trained.

Walmart didnt choose these changes, but they still have to comply, as well will others. Letting the dust settle is wise.

Except Wally implemented the "No Sales under 21 COMPANY Policy" BEFORE the Florida Law was passed! This in turn led to lawsuits. No one can fault Wally for following the Law and taking time out for their lawyers to interpet the law and establish training and procedures to follow the law. These are two different periods in time.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think sportsmen have historically showed department stores that we absolutely have an impact. Every department store that I can remember who chose to stop selling firearms has at least filed for bankruptcy or has completely gone out of business. I was hoping that Wal-mart was watching and would hold out. I don't primarily shop there but them selling firearms and hunting items kept prices competitive. Anyone even remember Service Merchandise, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards? All examples of companies that used to sell guns and went out of business after giving in to pressure from people who never shopped at their stores!! I believe a boycott will definitely affect them!
    I'm not saying a boycott could not work. I believe it could. I also believe that 8 out of 10, sportsmen included, will not do what is required to make a boycott effective if they have to inconvenience themselves. How many will shop elsewhere, alter their travel routes, drive further, and pay more, to support a cause and drive a point home, and how long are they willing to stay at it?

I can't figure out how to link with this tapatalk thing, but go find my post about boycotting florida to support the 2A. I think the surrender, and underlying support for florida anti-gun measures there will answer the question above.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't see myself every shopping at Dick's again and I'll be looking elsewhere to buy sporting goods from places like Walmart and others who have alienated lawful gun owners.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm a little surprised you guys didn't mind Walmart when they were wasting local shops and merchants, or one of the numerous times they pulled ar's off the shelf until the political dust settled, or when they filled their shelves with single use Chinese made products.

Like I said I haven't been in that store in years, and the straw was actually the pair of managers blocking one of three cash registers open to talk trash about customers. its not hard to find *everything else you need* somewhere else, typically in a cleaner environment with a parking lot that doesn't resemble a bar brawl.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, apparently there is a glimmer of hope....

Here's the thing about bankruptcy and "closings."

Bankruptcy provides protection from creditors and a method to repay all or SOME of the debt under one chapter, and outright discharge of debt under another. The illusion some have is that these companies are left broken and destitute; not so. Our own president has multiple bankruptcies under his belt, and anyone that believes he rebuilt from zero is wrong. Lawyers, please chime in and correct as required.

"Closings." Today just about every big company we could name is part of an even bigger umbrella corporation. A closing is nothing more than restructuring under the umbrella corporation, who will likely leverage the "loss" to their advantage. Later, a very similar "company/chain" will be started under the same umbrella company and all new employees will be hired at lesser wages/benefits than those that worked for the "closed" company. It's happening right now in Pensacola with the "closed" Gander Mountain about to reopen (IIRC) as Gander Outdoors. Wonder if they'll have AR's on the shelf, or guns at all......

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let the chips fall where they may. It doesn't matter what they do as damage control, bankruptcy or sell off. What matters if that a corporate anti-gun policy was rejected by true consumers causing their "corperate value" to fall and the further the better.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let the chips fall where they may. It doesn't matter what they do as damage control, bankruptcy or sell off. What matters if that a corporate anti-gun policy was rejected by true consumers causing their "corperate value" to fall and the further the better.

I hear ya. I'm in it to win, not for a chance of winning. And by win, I mean seeing these businesses admit they were wrong, openly supporting gun ownership and second amendment rights, and speaking against politicians who don't support that. My points above are to illustrate that if we really want to have an impact, we need to be willing to stay on it. A couple of months and they'll never notice. Even if a store closes, we need to get the word out if it opens under another name, and keep the pressure on.

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Unfortunately, your assessment is accurate. Speaking to a WM associate today, he acknowledged that they can't resume selling until their District 'Trainer' certifies them to sell under the new laws. Good move, but he added that THEIR District trainer doesn't have a clue as to how to train them to legally sell a gun. He states the 'Three Day Rule' has the trainer stymied, and that although they have guns on display, he doesn't have a clue how long before you can actually buy one. Bottom line? Incompetence is the reason why everyone else is selling guns except them. The WM leviathan is much like the Federal one, with layers of itself being incapacitating. Hopefully they will feel it noticeably in coming months in Fl., with their sales dwindling as former gun buyers like me simply go elsewhere. With tongue firmly in cheek, Winn-Dixie has some great BOGO sales on right now.....

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gotta wonder if anyone at Sears sees the opportunity to get back into the outdoor market?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Gotta wonder if anyone at Sears sees the opportunity to get back into the outdoor market?

That’s an excellent question but I don’t think management at Sears sees anything. They used to be the top dog in retail and let it slip away.
    Times have changed and Sears hasn’t kept up. All they know how to do is cut, no innovation whatsoever.
    When I was a kid, Dad bought all major purchases (appliances, tires, a good bit of our clothes) thru Sears so he could pay on time.
    The invention of Visa and MC kinda took that advantage away from them. It’s been downhill for Sears ever since.

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That’s an excellent question but I don’t think management at Sears sees anything. They used to be the top dog in retail and let it slip away.
    Times have changed and Sears hasn’t kept up. All they know how to do is cut, no innovation whatsoever.
    When I was a kid, Dad bought all major purchases (appliances, tires, a good bit of our clothes) thru Sears so he could pay on time.
    The invention of Visa and MC kinda took that advantage away from them. It’s been downhill for Sears ever since.

Not really, sears created the discover card, and it was wildly profitable for them for a while. Once they sold off discover for a stupid high profit, they list 90% of their profitability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, I remember those days, and you could order even more from the catalog. Ancient history I guess.

I suspect that when Sears chose the "softer side," they also chose the left side. Probably will never be like we remember again, but a good memory just the same.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I drove by the new Dick's up in Pace(?) yesterday, and am saddened to report that the parking lot was so full, I don't think anyone else could have parked there. For anyone interested in not supporting businesses that support anti-gun stores, 98.7 FM was out there helping Dick's celebrate the taking of our freedoms. Maybe you want to listen to another station and tell 'em why? Or, maybe we could hold a pro-gun rally in Dick's parking lot and 98.8 will support our event?

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most, if not all On -Site Broadcasts are paid advertising events. I didn't listen to te broadcast from there, don't know if they touted the 21+ & discontinuing MSR sales.

Take it for what it is: a marketing event to generate sales because normal shopper flow is low and standard ads are not bringing in adequate revenue.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I drove by the new Dick's up in Pace(?) yesterday, and am saddened to report that the parking lot was so full, I don't think anyone else could have parked there. For anyone interested in not supporting businesses that support anti-gun stores, 98.7 FM was out there helping Dick's celebrate the taking of our freedoms. Maybe you want to listen to another station and tell 'em why? Or, maybe we could hold a pro-gun rally in Dick's parking lot and 98.8 will support our event?

Michaels opened right next door to Dick's. My wife went in Michael's and I killed time in Dick's, then went over to meet her. Yes the lot was fairly full, and a TON of people were in Michael's, not so many in Dick's. I can't say it stayed that way all day, but from the prices I saw there won't be many people in Dick's going forward.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

There has been a paradigm shift of Walmart taking over Sears as the top retail outlet that goes back to the late 70’s when Sears refused to change to be more like Wal*Mart at the time. Sears Tower in Chicago was the beginning of the end, all the money they sunk into that building (which was sold and is now Willis Tower, unless you grew up in Chicago and everyone still calls it by its old name, the Sears Tower) Wal*Mart at the time had thier headquarters in Bentonville Arkansas...(where the hell is that located?). Sears refused to change, hanging on to thier catalog orders, not going online (look at Amazon). Even as I write this, Wal*Mart is playing catch up with Amazon for online orders as again, there is another paradigm shift. Wal*Mart (old spelling as they are now Walmart, due to online footprint) has way more overhead cost than Amazon as of right now....let’s see where this goes. Some folks choose to boycott Walmart now, it doesn’t affect thier bottom line one bit, just makes those folks feel good about not shopping there and that’s ok as it’s thier money. The K*Mart/Sears fiasco is one that plays out every other generation as one retailer succumbs to another...only time will tell who goes down next.

Top Bottom