Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    About the only money we spend in Florida is property taxes and utility bills. Gas, groceries come from Alabama. Most everything else comes from various internet stores.

Well as a Texan I wanted to go home and tried. Financially by a LOT FL won out. Neither had income tax but Insurance & property tax are much higher in TX and all vehicles I own would have to be retaxed and registered, that is no small $$. Then it would cost me $6k to move and not just $1K as here. So looking at maybe a 10 year lifespan and limited cash to pay all up front it was a no brainer to stay here. I have a hunting lease here and it costs WAY more to hunt IF you can even find a lease in TX, much more public land here to as TX is mostly private. I flat could not afford to move home or I would have.

I will just disregard the new policies as they do not relate to me specifically, Fl will turn Blue, I knew that especially with a million new Puerto Ricans relocating here and all the liberals moving from the northern states. Franks .02, care to talk about it? call me.
    Vietnam Vet...Vets Helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!
    The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

VETS for TRUMP 2020 ** KEEP AMERICA GREAT !! "VICTORY"

3. Likes FrankT's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Well as a Texan I wanted to go home and tried. Financially by a LOT FL won out. Neither had income tax but Insurance & property tax are much higher in TX and all vehicles I own would have to be retaxed and registered, that is no small $$. Then it would cost me $6k to move and not just $1K as here. So looking at maybe a 10 year lifespan and limited cash to pay all up front it was a no brainer to stay here. I have a hunting lease here and it costs WAY more to hunt IF you can even find a lease in TX, much more public land here to as TX is mostly private. I flat could not afford to move home or I would have.

I will just disregard the new policies as they do not relate to me specifically, Fl will turn Blue, I knew that especially with a million new Puerto Ricans relocating here and all the liberals moving from the northern states. Franks .02, care to talk about it? call me.
    What part of Texas was that. I found it all depends on where you live how much property taxes are. It's pretty much the same here in Florida. Some places just charge way to much property tax. That is one big deciding factor when I buy a house. I like to pay things off fast but you will always have property taxes. I tried to get my parents out of VA. They are the kings of charging taxes it seems.

As for the cars never looked into that but would not bother me. Been threw that moving to Georgia a while ago.
    NRA Lifetime Member

USAF Gulf War Vet.

It all depends on the county you move to and the quality of living and schools. The worst are cheaper than the better. Remember I am retired also and not working for a living, taxes are a killer for me. Where I moved is very cheap in taxes and not in a city limits and the insurance went way down (1/2) away from the coast, we also considered Alabama since we are almost there already.
    Vietnam Vet...Vets Helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!
    The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

VETS for TRUMP 2020 ** KEEP AMERICA GREAT !! "VICTORY"

6. 2 Like FrankT's Post:

From the report I heard on the radio this morning it doesn't appear to be hearting the Spring Break crowd. They said we're already seeing a pretty big increase over the past few years. Seems every year we go without a hurricane the tourist numbers increase, good for the local economy, bad for the traffic especially in Destin with the road construction going on!
    Proud American and Air Force Veteran

45 ACP
    I wouldn't run out on Florida. It's still pretty gun friendly, I've worked in far worse places (think New York). No matter where you go there's going to be something muffed up about the place. All this crap going on now is some political maneuvering for brownie points to get votes. It might not pass a court challenge. I did see some signs at the gun shop today saying no sales to under 21.

The more we allow, the more they'll legislate. It hasn't even been a full month since the Florida bill was signed and the masses have resigned themselves to the fact that this is life under the new reality. I have little faith in the NRA (they had to posture to maintain membership) or the court system (will find that states can have laws more restrictive, or in addition to, federal) to change one thing that the bill includes. Hope I'm wrong, but government rarely ever repeals or reduces without another offset.

I understand and expect the anti-gun actions in states that are predominantly liberal/democrat. What happened in Florida was because of "republican" support and/or failure. That right there guys was this state turning upside down politically, and still we get, "A vote for anyone other than a republican is a vote for the democrats," "I don't care about bump stocks," "I don't care because I'm over 21," and "I don't care because I'm not mentally ill."

Ya'll better read that confiscation part again. It's not just about mental illness. It's all about you losing your guns, without due process, based on what someone thinks/feels. If you think every one of those requirements has to be met before confiscation, you're wrong. And the line near the end that basically says we'll apply whatever else we think applies is the nail in the coffin. And don't be lulled into believing they are now satisfied that they got bump stocks and raised the age limit.
    Last edited by IronBeard; 03-19-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    Look out, Mama, there's a white boat comin' up the river. With a big red beacon, and a flag, and a man on the rail. I think you'd better call John, 'cause it don't look like they're here to deliver the mail. And it's less than a mile away. I hope they didn't come to stay. It's got numbers on the side and a gun, and it's makin' big waves. - Neil Young (Powderfinger)

10. 2 Like IronBeard's Post:

Drove past the new Dick's in Pace yesterday and the parking lot was so full it was sickening. There's an awful lot of folks in that area that really like Dick's (some pun intended) or maybe don't know about their anti-American views on firearms and freedom.

How do you boycott a state you live in...? Unless you really no shit move out, you kinda sound like all of the snowflakes that swore theyd move to Canada if Trump won...and to the best of my knowledge not one of those folks did, all talk. Stay and fight, make a difference. Im here for the long haul myself.
    My opinion is if a company makes their product in the US they usually go out of their way to brag about it. If they say nothing about it and you can't find anything about it after a 20-minute search on their website, chances are it's made by 8-year-olds with hammers and lead paint in some place like Uganda or Mongolia...

13. 2 Like Ric-san's Post:

I'm spending around 15K on private school per year, so moving to a state with income tax is not a problem as long as my wife and I can get a location with good public school.

Any ideas?

15. Likes FNHman's Post: