• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lzhome

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have a Colt Government 1911 new production that my brother left me and the slide will not operate. I have cocked the hammer and pulled trigger to make sure a live round was not in the chamber - nothing. Still treating it as if loaded.
    I am very familiar with 1911's, I have two other Colts. But would like any tips on how to disassemble to remove the slide.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you know if your brother had any problems with the slide? If the barrel bushing is out and you take the slide release out it should move forward off the frame. If there was a squib round it may have caused the barrel and slide to seize up. Look at the slide to see if is bulging anywhere.

Lzhome

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you know if your brother had any problems with the slide? If the barrel bushing is out and you take the slide release out it should move forward off the frame. If there was a squib round it may have caused the barrel and slide to seize up. Look at the slide to see if is bulging anywhere.
    No reported problems. Will the slide release come out with the slide all the way forward? The slide is completely closed and not signs of bulging. Thanks.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can measure the inside and outside of the barrel with a cleaning rod to determine if a slug or live round or casing is stuck in the barrel.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are still working on this, I think the barrel bushing needs to come off next. There may be bulge in the barrel behind it that is keeping the slide from moving back.

benchrest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lz ill try to explain removing the slide as if u have never done it before. at the end of the barrel is a round knurled piece that is under spring pressure and u will have to push it in. after pushing it in rotate the piece that surrounds it with a u shaped notch in it. after rotating out of the way it will come out but remember it has a lot of tension behind it and will go flying if u let it.after that remove the cap and spring and at that point the slide be loose. there are 2 notches on the slide and 1 is smaller than the other. if u can get it to move then bring the slide tothat position with the notches lining up and at that time look on the opposite side and u will see a round protruding piece sticking out and while it is lined up push it out. that is your slide lock. after that u should be able to remove the slide and see what was the problem. all this assuming u have confirmed a empty chamber.

Lzhome

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks guys to the replies. I am very familiar with 1911 since I have others but this is not a disassembly problem. The slide is frozen! Will not move even with bushing removed. I have a RMA from Colt to return it for their gunsmiths to fix. Thanks again.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a firm believer in having Mfgs fix their problems after exhausting user level troubleshooting. I hope you get detailed problem and corrective action feedback. Please let us know how it turns out.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    my guess is the barrel link was not in its proper position when reassembling the gun. it could definitely freeze the slide. are you able to remove the slide stop? try turning the gun upside down, put pressure on the slide to the rear while tapping the gun unto something.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What was the outcome? When this happened to me it turned out the mainspring had lodged under the hammer strut.

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it back from Colt yet? What was the verdict? My money is on the slide being glued in place by cheap gun oil (like 3-in-1 oil).

Lzhome

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is it back from Colt yet? What was the verdict? My money is on the slide being glued in place by cheap gun oil (like 3-in-1 oil).
    Yes it is back and in perfect condition. Colt did not tell me what they did but they fixed it and paid the shipping both ways. You can't ask for better customer service.

SGB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes it is back and in perfect condition. Colt did not tell me what they did but they fixed it and paid the shipping both ways. You can't ask for better customer service.

Odds are it was a broken barrel link, I've fixed several locked up 1911's and that was the cause.

Top Bottom