• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As I have mentioned on other occasions, my wife and I are fairly isolated on our property. I work long hours and she takes care of the horses and what not. I took comfort in the fact that when ever my wife went outside she always had one or both of our big dogs with her , a doberman or a border collie. The were sweet animals but were of good size and seemed to intimidate the strangers who would sometime wander onto our land. Sadly, we recently lost both dogs due to father time. Both were about 13 when they passed. We still have some dogs but they are either too old or too small to provide that perceived protector role

Today we picked up a puppy. We that she is a Australian Shepherd and some kind of pit bull or american bulldog or boxer cross. Her name is Billie and she is only 10 weeks old.

Attachments

• Billie Boo.JPG
      Billie Boo.JPG
      45.5 KB · Views: 184

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    all are protective breeds, smart, and working dogs....they want to be with you all the time..

good luck with the usual puppy stuff...

chewed on furniture legs(cause they taste so good), cd's, pens, anything that hits the floor will go in the mouth, papertowels are good to eat...., puddles, piles, and some whining

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you. We typically adopt rescue dogs that are past the puppy stage. So far Billie is being very well behaved but i know that she is just setting us up :). We have never owned an Australian Shepherd or a bully breed before. All and all this should be an adventure.

The farm critter that is happiest with the new addition is our 8 month old kitten. He and Billie wrestled for at least 10 minutes straight. I believe they will become fast friends soon.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Australian shepards are a smart dog, and all the bull breeds/mixes in my neighborhood are 10% smarter than their doors and owners so I'd expect her to be bright.

Getting a dog as a pup lets you condition them better to you. We got our dachshund as a puppy and he is still excited about baths at 8, lets her trim his nails, and knows not to beg/whine while we eat. When you get an older dog they may already have some bad habits or never adjust too the little things(our shepard mix still fights us when we do her nails, although we did finally convince her she can share furniture with us).

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Welcome to the forum, Billie. She looks sweet.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys. Frank when she starts teething I will send her over to you for a few weeks - sharing the joy so to speak. :)

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife has just informed me that Billie is not the right name. Her name is now Lily (for the moment . . .sigh) Meanwhile, the barn kitten and Billie/Lily wrestled for a 10 minutes or so. Far too cute. The poor kitten has been looking for a playmate since our border collie passed. Now he has one in spades.

What you guys have said about the Australian and bull breeds is consistent with what I have seen on the internet. Very reassuring to hear from y'all that we may have made the right choice for our needs.

BTW we got her from an awesome rescue place called Phoenix Rising on Chemstrand Road in Pensacola. Great place - wonderful owner. She is a bit strict as to who she lets in but the facility is clean and the dogs are well fed and all have their shots. It is quiet too because she keeps everything so calm.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats, puppies are awesome and if you raise then right turn into great companions!

Funny thing is I overheard the older dogs telling the puppy the same thing. "If you raise the humans right they will turn into decent companions" I think I am in trouble. :)

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm on my 3rd Aussie and they are great dogs, very loyal and smart, I wouldn't have any other and have owned several breeds over the years. Never met a mean one except the one down the block from me and I thinks thats just because he is protecting his property, good dog!

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeb make sure you get the puppy a MAGA collar and it will turn out OK!!

Dang it Frank, you got me on that one. Until I read Lowrider's post, I thought a MAGA collar was some new training devise. I even made a note to myself to research it tonight when I get home. I shall have my revenge, sir :)

We have decided to keep the name Lily. It fits her. It comes from old English and means "For the love of God, it 3:30 in the morning hush and go back to bed" You gotta hand it to the old English they could get a lot of meaning into a 4 letter name.

I got very little sleep last night past 3:30, that is when the puppy woke up in it cage and commenced to howl at us to let her out. We resisted but the end result was a lack of sleep. Yawn.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm on my 3rd Aussie and they are great dogs, very loyal and smart, I wouldn't have any other and have owned several breeds over the years. Never met a mean one except the one down the block from me and I thinks thats just because he is protecting his property, good dog!

She really does not look like an Aussie right now, but we are certain that the mom was one. So the puppy really favors the dad I guess, as did the other puppies in that litter. Nevertheless, she is a good girl and I am glad to hear that you like the breed and that they generally have a good disposition.

Thanks

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dang it Frank, you got me on that one. Until I read Lowrider's post, I thought a MAGA collar was some new training devise. I even made a note to myself to research it tonight when I get home. I shall have my revenge, sir :)

We have decided to keep the name Lily. It fits her. It comes from old English and means "For the love of God, it 3:30 in the morning hush and go back to bed" You gotta hand it to the old English they could get a lot of meaning into a 4 letter name.

I got very little sleep last night past 3:30, that is when the puppy woke up in it cage and commenced to howl at us to let her out. We resisted but the end result was a lack of sleep. Yawn.

got to break that...they will learn to whine if they think you will come get them...

unless you want a dog in the bed with you...

FF-Bed-full-of-boxers.jpg

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea do not want pups on bed. So we have got to let her whine her self out. Right now she sleeps in a kennel and will continue to do so until she is old enough to be trusted. Even then no dogs are allowed in the bedrooms. That has been a rule for 20+years. S

Top Bottom