• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 39 second read

A 39 second (slow reader) Must Read you will want to pass on.

In their infinite wisdom, the United States’ founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?

The following list of statistics has been making the rounds on the Internet. It should finally put an end to the argument as to why the Electoral College makes sense.

Do share this. It needs to be widely known and understood.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.

Trump won 3,084 of them.

Clinton won 57.

There are 62 counties in New York State.

Trump won 46 of them.

Clinton won 16.

Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens)

Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.

The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

But that 319 square miles are where the majority of our nation’s problems foment.

Well worth the 39 seconds to read? Now please pass it on.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This has been debunked by the AP (associated press), Fact Check. Org and Snopes. Trump won the election he is our president. But these attempts from various folks to somehow make is victory more that it was is pointless.

The geography stuff is cute but I don't understand the point. I own 20 acres of land. Does that mean my vote is worth 40 times the votes of folks who own a half acre spread. There are some ranchers or farmers who own 1000s of acres of land. Do they get more votes than me?

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jeb, does that mean if I suffer a fall on your property and decide to sue you, should I get 40 times more that if I fell on a guys property of ,5 acres?

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeb, does that mean if I suffer a fall on your property and decide to sue you, should I get 40 times more that if I fell on a guys property of ,5 acres?

Nope your damages are compensatory in nature so we look to the extent of your injuries rather than the size of my property. Therefore the size of your award depends entirely on how badly you were hurt rather than how much land I own. Thanks for asking though.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The question would have assumed that he was invited. The duty to trespasser is extremely limited.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think some folks have intentionally missed the point. 300 and something square miles compared to approximately 4 million square miles is less than a pimple on my ass in relative size. And this 300 and something square miles is where they have the most restrictive gun laws and the highest gun violence rates. The founding fathers in their either infinite wisdom or sheer luck came up with a system to ensure that a very minor part of the country (big cities) cannot dictate the rule of the rest of the country.

Idoono

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think some folks have intentionally missed the point. 300 and something square miles compared to approximately 4 million square miles is less than a pimple on my ass in relative size. And this 300 and something square miles is where they have the most restrictive gun laws and the highest gun violence rates. The founding fathers in their either infinite wisdom or sheer luck came up with a system to ensure that a very minor part of the country (big cities) cannot dictate the rule of the rest of the country.

Idoono

No I think the problem is the basic inaccuracies of the initial post. First, there are not 4 billion miles of land in the US there are only 2 billion miles.

"Overview of Land Use in the United States-The U.S. has 2.3 billion acres of land. However, 375 million acres are in Alaska and not suitable for agricultural production. The land area of the lower 48 states is approximately 1.9 billion acres."

Second, only about 6 percent of this land is developed:

"Larson's research estimates land values by county for several types of land: developed land, agricultural land, government-owned land and undeveloped land. Just 6 percent of America's nearly 2 billion acres of land is developed, Larson finds.Apr 10, 2015"

Again the point of the original article is to somehow make Trump's win impressive - cause winning the Presidency is not enough - his ego demands more. Trump is president all of the other discussion is a waste of time.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well I apologize. Obviously I read it wrong when this statement "In their infinite wisdom, the United States’ founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?"
    appeared at the start of the read.

Idoono

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now you are blending issues. I think the electoral college is a good system. Is does ensure that all states, regardless of population density get a say in the governing of this country.

What I take issue with is the suggestion that the country has 4 billion miles of land and only 300 miles of it voted for Clinton. Those are false statements. Additionally, since voting power has nothing to do with the size or amount of your land, it is a silly argument to make in the first place.

Trump won the electoral college and lost the popular vote. Period. This makes him President of the USA. George W. Bush also won the electoral college and lost the popular vote. He was still President. That is how the system works and has always worked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom