• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Does anyone have a favorite brand or style? I have never used an ankle holster, and don't know where to start. Does it actually carry low enough to fit inside cowboy boots? Does it hide well just under long pants? I was thinking of using either a Shield 9, or a Rossi snub nose 357. Are these to large to conceal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Im not a fan of ankle carry. Maybe and I mean MAYBE its ok if you sit behind a desk all day and even then Im still not thrilled with it. However I did have a galco holster to ankle carry a g27. It didnt move around much and was descently comfortable but I just didnt like an extra couple of pounds on one leg. Very awkward running and even walking. Plus the draw is beyond slow and a pain to get to unless you can pull it out before a situation arises

Last edited:

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Im not a fan of ankle carry. Maybe and I mean MAYBE its ok if you sit behind a desk all day and even then Im still not thrilled with it.
    Just curious why your not a fan? I ask because I am completely new to this way of carry, so I don't know the good or bad.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    And I you were ever knocked down and had someone on top of you on the attack. Its hard enough to get a free hand for waist draw. Even harder to try and reach an ankle

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    And I you were ever knocked down and had someone on top of you on the attack. Its hard enough to get a free hand for waist draw. Even harder to try and reach an ankle
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I would be carrying this as a backup, but I still see your point.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ok. A backup makes a little more sense. I thought you were wanting to carry a primary in the ankle. Definitely check out galco. But it will still be awkward to run until you get used to it. I didnt stick with it enough to get used to it

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd look at the Galco ankle holster. I think a Shield is a little big to fit inside a boot, snub nose should work. It's the grip length that becomes an issue. Maybe a .380 like a LCP or Sig 238.
    I carried a Smith 38 revo for a bit in a Galco and it wasn't bad just not my thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It didnt move around much and was descently comfortable but I just didnt like an extra couple of pounds on one leg. Very awkward running and even walking.

which my brain reponds to with: "well, how about a g27 on EACH ankle?" Then you even it out. And solve the problem of combat reload....

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had to carry back-up on the ankle, and aside from the above-mentioned advice, I would urge you to choose the lightest weight weapon that you can still trust. I developed countless blisters & chafes before I found the Ruger LCR .38 - at just a few ounces. Nothing I carried allowed quick access. It must be practiced unless bell-bottoms come back from the 60's - 70's, lol....

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been ankle carrying a Glock 26 for the past almost 2 years everyday at work ( only way I can carry without anyone noticing, company has no firearms policy) in a Galco Ankle Glove. I cant even tell it is there and I walk between 4-7 miles each shift. The holster is super comfy but ya gotta practice your draw though

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: "WE" are not all created in one size, flexability or range of motion is equal. Before you drop a dime, make sure you can access the mounting area without "aids"? We use our body weight to compress our structure to reach down: can you lay flat on you back an raise your leg and complete a draw? Now thats from a statonary position, consider it while grappling with someone. Will it take both hands to clear and draw, and is that acceptable to you? Can you draw it from that position with either hand?

On the plus side, we are well beyond the Seecamp/AMT/dirringer limitations with the current abundance of light, minimal caliber handguns on the market today that reduce the weight and inertia wobble problem. In general, more gun weight will require more retention "tension". Though a cowboy boot does provide anti snag/printing, I find it slower to draw with trousers and gun needing to clear the additional friction and height.

I haven't ankle carried in decades and prefer not to. I hope you find what works best for your application.
    You can use an ACE Wrap to bind a gun in place (do wrap a few turns on the leg before wrapping the gun). Test drive it walking, climbing stairs and running around the house and for draw practicality.

Due to the limited clearance (you can't really push you trouser leg material clear) and Murphys Law: hammerless is the way to go!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Old Indian saying . . . He who ankle carry . . expect to get kicked in the teeth.
    If you try to present the weapon from a standing position,you are SEVERELY off balance. If you try to access the weapon while in a ground fight,you got much better things to do with at least one arm/hand,and most likely two. Also,to put the carry leg in position to reach the weapon could expose certain parts of your body (femoral artery) to an extremely disableing attack from a blade.
    My reccomendstion . . . carry no defensive tools below the belt line. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom