• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My IDPA group is going to shoot six guns in the next match. So I have started carrying my 3" Model 64 again. I carry it in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket and carry one speed strip in my left pocket and a Desantis leather speedloader holder on the right side of my belt. My 64 sports the Pachmayer Compact professional grips. I have forgotten just how comfortable this weapon can be to carry. The curves of the revolver seem to pinch or poke me less. While the weight and the cylinder width do not bother me at all. I carried this gun pretty regularly about 15 years ago, but slowly went to the dark side around 2008.

I am not trying to start a revolver vs, Pistol debate, as I will resume carrying a bottom feeder again once this match is over. I just had forgotten how comfortable a medium framed revolver can be to carry for CCW.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a definite cool factor to revolvers. Like driving a standard transmission. It takes more time and effort to master, but once you do . . . such a great payoff.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You want pictures of my junk :)

Ha, I will post some this evening.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A big regret I have was trading my Model 66 over 20 years ago. I can't resist revolvers.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    posting pics of your junk tonite..

asking Maxman if he has a round butt....

beginning to worry bout you....:jaw::boink::behindsofa:

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love revolvers and truth be told, when I carry most of the time it is going to be a revolver...Ruger LCR. Lightweight, don't have to dress around it, can wear it with summertime clothes...low capacity is the only issue but playing the odds, most encounters are three rounds or less from 21 feet or less...and like a fire extinguisher and storm shelter; nice insurance just in case and odds are you'll never need it, especially if you are judicious about your surroundings and choices. Better to carry something comfortably than nothing due to inconvenience.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picture of my 3" 64 with its holster and the speedloader holder 1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      223.6 KB · Views: 284
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      190.8 KB · Views: 287
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      201 KB · Views: 263
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      70.7 KB · Views: 278
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      188.6 KB · Views: 276
    Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks much cooler than my shield!

Yea, but your shield is lighter, more compact, has more firepower, is faster t reload, has a lighter trigger, and better sights. Plus, as you know, revolvers are not lefty friendly.

I have dug out my Glock 26 and will carry it with a Glock 19 mag as backup once the match is over (because Frank T is my hero, and Frank carries a Glock 26.)

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    But a shield makes a piss poor club,

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen Russ shoot on many occasions, he would never need to use his Shield as a club, because he is just too dang fast and accurate for the bad guys to survive long enough to get close enough to engage in hand to hand.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I always thought it'd be cool to get a 1917 and get it snubbed and have the lanyard ring replaced with a stud or a diamond, similar to those found on the pommel of trench knives.
    Of course it'd only really shine in a trench.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always thought it'd be cool to get a 1917 and get it snubbed and have the lanyard ring replaced with a stud or a diamond, similar to those found on the pommel of trench knives.
    Of course it'd only really shine in a trench.

A belly gun! or even more dangerous the Fitz Special!

Here is great article about one in the American Rifleman

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...e-fitz-special-a-defense-gun-from-yesteryear/

A 45 acp out of a revolver is a handful to shoot but it would be devistating.

I shot a 9mm out of a all steel jframe sized revovler (I think it was a Taurus) Man that had a lot of kick. I would rather have shot a +p 38 out of an airweight.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a stainless Ruger Security Six 4" that I had some custom stag grips made for (Grasshorn Grips for the win). I will carry that weapon from time to time in a black Galco Summer Comfort IWB. That is a beautiful rig - that no one gets to see - cause of the whole concealed carry thing. With 38 special standard pressure rounds I can shoot the weapon fairly fast without having to readjust my grip. However, with +p I can only get a few rounds out before I have to readjust. I have not even tried magnum through that gun with those little splinter grips.

I wish Ruger would make a midsized revolver again - but in today's market it just does not make any sense to do so.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Someone on here has a actual fitz, I think it's genedoc and I think it's a 32. I think a fitz or a ASP 9mm are a toss up for my unicorn grail gun.

I wish ruger would also, I had a speed six 2.75 that was AWESOME but the wrong finish. S&W started making the 66 in a 2.75 again, and while it's a cool idea they decided to go with a two piece barrel(I really don't care about MIM parts and pay no mind too the internal lock, but add on a barrel liner? C'mon smith). What's interesting is that the manufactures stated weight on the 66 snub is about an ounce difference than what my digital scale says my 2.5" 686 weighs. Not good enough to drop the 600$ imo, which is probably why ruger won't ever make another mid frame: the sp101 handles 38 fine and is smaller, the gp100 will handle magnum better and not be much larger.

I've currently got wood service stocks on the 686, and while visually and ergonomically they leave much to be desired, I didn't mind shooting Winchester 125+p with it at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom