• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I actually purchased this gun 2 ½ months ago, but I wanted to get all of the issues corrected before I reviewed it. The Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine a solid firearm. There were, however, two issues which I will discuss.

The good:
    This is probably one of the most underrated firearms I have personally dealt with. It is a solid, reliable(with the right magazine and rear sight)and accurate shooter. With my reloads(14gr H-110 behind a 110gr Speer TMJ)I was consistently hitting an 8” steel plate at 100 yards. I read other reviews that discussed feed ramps being very rough, causing feeding issues. I am happy to say that was not the case with the one I received as the feed ramp was polished to an almost mirror finish. I don't know if this was typical of all AO M1 Carbines or if I was lucky enough to get one that got a little extra attention. Either way, I had zero feeding problems with the JG Sales magazine.

The bad:
    The supplied AO magazine's floor plate came off during my second trip to the range with it. I had bought 2 aftermarket magazines when I ordered the gun(one from Keep Shooting and one from JG Sales). The only magazine that has proven 100% reliable is the one I got from JG Sales for $9.95. I will be buying more of these.
    The second and biggest issue I had was the almost useless rear flip sight. It was nowhere near on target at either 25, 50 or 100 yards with either the short or long range peep. I replaced it with a $15.00 stamped steel replica of the late issued adjustable sight from Sarco(http://www.e-sarcoinc.com)and everything improved greatly. I'll never understand why Auto Ordnance doesn't offer the adjustable rear sight as an option.
    Both of these issues were easily corrected.

Overall, I would encourage anyone looking for an M1 Carbine to consider the AOM130.

Specs:

Caliber: .30 Carbine
    Barrel: 18”
    Length: 35 3/4”
    Weight: 5.4 lbs
    Finish: Parkerized steel
    Sights: Blade front and flip style rear
    Magazine: One 15 round
    Stock: Walnut wood stock and handguard
    Warranty: 1 year

Garry

Attachments

• AO M1L.jpg
      AO M1L.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 247
    • AO M1R.jpg
      AO M1R.jpg
      8.3 KB · Views: 264
    • AO M1SL.jpg
      AO M1SL.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 275
    • AO M1SR.jpg
      AO M1SR.jpg
      13.1 KB · Views: 254

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    now that you have all the bugs worked out, want to sell it?

JK, have fun feeding it, they are great little shooters.

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    now that you have all the bugs worked out, want to sell it?

JK, have fun feeding it, they are great little shooters.

I know you're joking, but if I did sell it, I would have to ask way more than it's worth due to all of the work I've put into getting it right. Seriously, though, I'm having way too much fun with it to even consider selling it.

Garry

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure that USGI magazines would work just fine, but at around 25-30 bucks a pop, I will stick to the 10 dollar aftermarket mags as long as they work.

Garry

I own an Inland M1...handed down to me from my Grandpa but have toyed with the idea of buying another. My grandpa had burned his fingers in an accident so the stock/grip was shaved down slightly, was refinished and the bayonet lug removed so it is not in original condition but it is still one of my prized WWII era relics....and I have several 15 round mags for it.

par87

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for sharing this info...going to check these out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom