HD Tactical

Mattel Vietnam era mags...Sawman comes through!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I was over at Sawman's house today dropping off my half of money for the case of 5.56 ammo Sawman ordered. He says, "Bruce, open that foot locker" and points to a locker in the corner of the room. OK, I open it and there are many 20rd M16 mags that at a glance are Vietnam era with metal followers and the finish shiny, smooth or worn looking. "Take a better look", he says. I see some Mattel marked 20 rounders! He agrees to sell me 2 of them, but asks that I keep the amount paid confidential between him and I. I picked a lighter looking one and a darker one.

I just got home, and tada, here's some pics. They will go right with my Mattel M16A1. Other than the Mattel marking in the floor plate, they look typical Vietnam era to me (I remember seeing markings of Colt or Simmonds, there could be others). Some wear on the top of the followers. No Mattel marks seen on the followers or magazine body. Thank you Sawman!

DSCN3454.JPG DSCN3455.JPG DSCN3457.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3454.JPG
      DSCN3454.JPG
      57.2 KB · Views: 214
    • DSCN3455.JPG
      DSCN3455.JPG
      45.7 KB · Views: 213
    • DSCN3457.JPG
      DSCN3457.JPG
      36.8 KB · Views: 214

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Becsuse of the rarity of these mags,i'm sure that you would not be embarrassed if I posted how much you paid for them but a promise is a promise.
    I have never seen these mags listed on Gunbroker or any other site. There is a retired Marine that showed me one years ago. He gave it to his grandson to play with along with the Mattel toy gun.
    I can't believe that you passed on my offer to sell you a couple of my " bottom of the locker" stash for your next retro build. They are roll stamped on both sides and on the floor plate with the below logo.
    I will have to charge slightly more than the Mattel marked mags though. ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• AAr_qGWq_400x400.jpg
      AAr_qGWq_400x400.jpg
      9.5 KB · Views: 185

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Quite frankly I sorta stopped looking when I saw these 2 and you agreed to sell. I kinda wanted to get the deal over with and hand shake done lest you changed your mind (or rather than was my fear). Hope you didn't notice my palm was sweaty when we shook hands on the deal. Again, thank you very much!

:dance::dance::dance:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah . . . after the deal I felt nauseous and went over by the Jasmine bush and threw up.
    Whatdasay ??? When I get my little gun a 10 shot shootout at 25yds with the looser buying lunch at Jimmy's ??
    Kinda anxious to see how my guns 1:12 twist will shoot the 62's close up. If they are as accurate as my old eyes at <50yds and hit the target sideways I will keep the several thousand rds of the M855 that I have stashed. If not,will be selling or tradeing them for 193's.
    What say you ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    OK. 10 shot shoot out at 25yd offhand. My retro against your retro.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    WHAM-O Didn't they make jet engines? I think they were bought out by Rolls Royce back in the 60's

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well shit, it's about time that old curmudgeon did something nice for someone. I'm still waiting for well, I won't get into that right now. He probably forgot already.

jabuchko

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its amazing how lucky one person can get to find all these impossible to find "Mattel" gun parts. Great job. The next American Picker in the making!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Its amazing how lucky one person can get to find all these impossible to find "Mattel" gun parts. Great job. The next American Picker in the making!

Actually, MATTEL never produced any magazines. The only thing they produced was pistol grips. 20-round USGI magazines were made by Adventureline, Simmonds, and Universal Industries and will have floorplates reflecting this. You will also find many 20-round USGI magazines with Colt stamped floorplates. The MATTEL logo on the floorplates in question were laser etched. All USGI magazine floorplates are machine stamped.

jabuchko

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the guy that did them is awesome! They look great

Top Bottom