• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just saw that Springfield Armory is offering several different versions of their M1A chambered in 6.5C.
    What would the application be ?? Long range sniper ?? Better at 1000yds as far as drops but seems that is about it. I would think that a 6.5C for the long range stuff should be a bolt gun for the accuracy potential and extra velocity due to no gas bleed off.
    No interest for me but what do you think ?? ---- SAWMAN

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot a gas gun match at Core two years ago and a guy showed with a M1A chambered in 260. Gas operated systems throw in a few more variables when it comes to recoil management. Those 140 and 130 grain bullets make it easier to manage recoil and be able to see impacts at distance. Although you still have to deal with the initial recoil impulse from the bullet leaving the barrel, bolt sliding to the rear, and bolt sliding back forward. At mid range I would take a 77 grain TMK over any offering when it comes to banging steel and spotting impacts with a gas gun. Bolt guns are much easier to shoot

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Creedmoor will be outperforming the .308 at distance with both velocity and most importantly energy. The .308 175 Sierra Match King at 2650fps with our current density altitude shows 604 ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards and 1126 ft/lbs of energy at 600. While the .264 140 Hornady ELD Match at 2800fps shows 808 ft/lb of energy at a grand and 1293 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I hear that the 6.5PRC uses a large bolt face. I would personally go with the 284Win before the PRC . . . however it will have it's following. People are still in love with the 6.5Sweede also.
    It is strictly a long range chambering and will be a bbl burner because . . WELL . . if you got one,why the hell not load it hot.
    Right now brass is expensive but I look for that to come down equal to it's gain in popularity. I see the 6.5Creedmore holding on to it's alteady well established market share.
    For me it would be the 6mmCreedmore and the 224Valkyrie as new toys in the pen. Or to step up to a HOT! 6.5 in a bolt gun it would be the 6.5-300WBY ( burn bbl burn). ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom