• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am looking for a 1911 in 45acp. I'm thinking something like the Kimber Ultra Carry ll.
    1. What are opinions on this gun?
    2. What other brands and models in this class would you suggest?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sorry I just saw your question.
    Concealed Carry
    $800 to $1000

I had a Kimber Ultra Carry several years ago. I found that it didn't serve my needs whatsoever. It wasn't fun to shoot at the range, I didn't want to carry something that expensive, and I felt like I should be carrying something either smaller or with more capacity. I also traded into a 3" S&W 1911 a couple years ago and it was a really fine shooting gun, but still didn't serve my needs.

Of course, your needs/wants may be completely different.

I do know that a lot of folks don't care for Kimber because they feel like you're paying for the name rather than the quality of the gun and parts. I also know that most people seem to have good things to say about the S&W and Ruger 1911's.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I carried a Springfield lightweight champion operator for awhile. This is their commander size with a light rail. Also had a Dan Wesson and a Ruger 1911 in the same size. All were excellent handling 45s, great shooting and very accurate. I didn't care much for a 3" 1911, as it was a little too much recoil for the caliber. Out of the ones I owned I'd take the Springfield for the money.
    With all that said, I moved out of the 1911 game awhile back and sold the rest of my .45 guns last year. For the size and mag capacity I shoot and carry 9mm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I carried a Springfield lightweight champion operator for awhile. This is their commander size with a light rail. Also had a Dan Wesson and a Ruger 1911 in the same size. All were excellent handling 45s, great shootingf and very accurate. I didn't care much for a 3" 1911, as it was a little too much recoil for the caliber. Out of the ones I owned I'd take the Springfield for the money.
    With all that said, I moved out of the 1911 game awhile back and sold the rest of my .45 guns last year. For the size and mag capacity I shoot and carry 9mm.

How many extras rounds do you get with the 9mm? I am assuming 2.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    How many extras rounds do you get with the 9mm? I am assuming 2.

I believe you're right. I have gotten out of the 1911 platform altogether though, just to clarify. Great shooting guns, but my needs changed as I starting shooting more.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am looking for a 1911 in 45acp. I'm thinking something like the Kimber Ultra Carry ll.
    1. What are opinions on this gun?
    2. What other brands and models in this class would you suggest?

My 2 cents.

1. Stay away from 3” 1911
    2. Stay away from 9mm 1911

unless troubleshooting is your forte’

Kimber 4” 45 acp models has a better track record that their 3” models. For $800-$1000 range, I suggest the Pro TLE. Its a good package for the money. Its rare to find a sub $1k 1911 with front strap checkering. Good luck

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a big fan of Ruger 1911s. I have the full sized and the Commander sized. Both are great guns, but both are a bit heavy for regular carry. I have been sorely tempted to get the Ruger Light Weight Commander in 45 but, like Lineman, I have moved away from 1911 as a carry gun. For the weight I can carry more firepower.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also you need a lot more training with the 1911 platform. If you are going to use it for ccw. Just my 5 cents jj

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’m pretty new to the 1911 platform, but I have an S&W 4.25” Scandium frame in .45. I carry it in the cooler weather. It is light enough for CCW, but only 8 rounds. I can carry my Walther PPQ in 4” with 15 rounds at a similar size and weight.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, for what it is worth I've really enjoyed shooting and working on my 1911 that I recently purchased (even through all the bullshit lol). I picked up a Kimber Pro TLE II and have had a lot of issues out of it (don't know if it was due to the previous owner or what). I will say though that while I've enjoyed tinkering with it and attempting to get it sorted, my respect and appreciation for Glocks and M&Ps has gone up a bit.

At any rate, hard for me to recommend a Kimber after this experience but maybe you'll have more luck than I did. I'd echo the others on not going for 3" 1911s though.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I understand your thoughts on more respect for Glocks.
    If I had to go into combat tomorrow,and could choose any 1911,it would be one from my past. I had between 40 and 70 mil issue Colt 1911's in "my" armory. All were extremely well used. Didn't know their exact history but they saw duty in Viet Nam and most likely Korea.
    These guns were extremely loose. They came apart and went back together easily. They never failed to fire. They would quite easily hit COM at 25yds. They would do what a combat handgun should do. I would fight with one today. --- SAWMAN

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So much knowledge on this board it is always humbling. Up front - the first handgun I learned on (and first I ever shot) was a 1911 and I have owned many. My thoughts on Kimber is the quality of the internals does not match the price tag. At the present time I own several 1911s, and when I carry one it is an older Ruger Gov Model - solid, accurate, and has been 100% reliable. The 3'' model is the only one I have ever had issues with, seems to me the design (at least in .45) just wasn't meant to be shrunk perhaps?

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for all the info. I may re-think the 1911 platform for carrying. At present I carry a M&P Shield 45. If you don't mind me asking what do y'all carry? Also if not happy with what you have what would you carry?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If you want a 1911, save your lunch money for a little while. With luck and patience, you can get a GREAT gently loved 1911 for $1500-$1800 if you shop around a bit. EB, LB, NH, WC.

I usually carry a modified shield 9mm with 9 rounds in it and a spare 8 rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I started with a shield .40, never had a single fte/ftf out of about 1000 rounds.

Carried a Ruger lcp II, didn't like the cost of local .380 and didn't like it compared to the shield.

Purchased a performance shield 9mm and absolutely love it. Great trigger from s&w and I feel like it is one of the best EDC on the market. The 2.0s also have a good trigger. I personally wouldn't go back to anything other than 9mm for EDC. Seems like the best round for practice, follow up shots, and picking it up and getting great groups.

I've heard great things about the glock 43 and it is on my list of guns to try out one day. Also the new sig 365 has 100% peaked my interest with having 10 rounds.

If hammer fire is what is pulling you towards the 1911, I hear good things about some of the hammer fired sigs.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ My shield is based around a performance center gun. I just switched the frame, barrel and trigger shoe for personal preference.

The trigger is the whole point of a 1911, and Non-Legion Sigs have terrible triggers IMO, unless you mean the mustang clones, which are decent, with the 380 version having an edge in reliability.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for all the info. I may re-think the 1911 platform for carrying. At present I carry a M&P Shield 45. If you don't mind me asking what do y'all carry? Also if not happy with what you have what would you carry?

At present I carry a M&P9 full size with a rmr. In the 3-4 years I've run a pretty broad spectrum of handguns. Started with a g36, mixed in commander sized 1911s, pocket 9mms, a 45 xds, and a couple others.
    To focus on one issue of ccw, I like the consistent draw and grip ability I have with the M&P. With smaller guns I couldn't get a consistent draw/presentation of the firearm. Now this is strictly my experience but gear also plays a huge role in how comfortable and how consistent and efficient you can be at drawing the firearm from a holster. I started carrying AIWB awhile back and really like the concealment of this position, again with the proper gear/holster.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Usual - XDS in 45. Around the farm - Makarov 9x18 (Unless a 22lr/mag revolver is hanging off of whatever equipment I am running). Extremely light clothing - Taurus PT22

Top Bottom