• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ A thumb safety m&p with apex trigger feels a lot like 1911, but cheaper, higher capacity and more reliable than comparably priced 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    ^ A thumb safety m&p with apex trigger feels a lot like 1911, but cheaper, higher capacity and more reliable than comparably priced 1911.

I have the Shield in 45, but I am researching the Shield 9 Performance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    PC shield is a fine carry. Perfect size, fantastic sights, and a nice break.
    Except for the ported barrel, unusable thumb safety, and stupid hinged trigger.
    My understanding is that the 2.0 has the 1.0 PC sear and plunger. If you can get one of those with no safety and good sights, it would be better overall IMO than a stock 1.0 PC.
    I like a thumb safety, as long as it’s usable, and on shields, it’s just not. Here’s mine FWIW:
    6365052d5c9aacb5df9c165ffbab6679.jpg

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    PC shield is a fine carry. Perfect size, fantastic sights, and a nice break.
    Except for the ported barrel, unusable thumb safety, and stupid hinged trigger.
    My understanding is that the 2.0 has the 1.0 PC sear and plunger. If you can get one of those with no safety and good sights, it would be better overall IMO than a stock 1.0 PC.
    I like a thumb safety, as long as it’s usable, and on shields, it’s just not. Here’s mine FWIW:
    6365052d5c9aacb5df9c165ffbab6679.jpg
    I was not aware that they didn't offer a Shield 9mm Performance Center without a safety. That sucks. That's why you had to build that gun a little while back. I guess I would be better off buying a non Performance Center, and getting a Apex duty/carry kit.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I was not aware that they didn't offer a Shield 9mm Performance Center without a safety. That sucks. That's why you had to build that gun a little while back. I guess I would be better off buying a non Performance Center, and getting a Apex duty/carry kit.

Correct, and with a 2.0 all you really need is the shoe, which is about $35, since the pull and break is already nice out of the box.
    I personally don’t like messing with aftermarket springs and connectors on a carry gun, but that’s just me.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dan1612 that is a very nice one. I too did not like the hinge trigger.

My EDC is usually my XDM 4.5 in 9mm with my 649 .357 as backup. If it is a shorts and flip flop run to the gas station maybe just the 649 and a speed loader. My yard work piece is my 1991 Taurus .38 with the first two snake shot as this is usually what I need it for. My XDM is at the smith getting new sights so main EDC duties right now are covered by the SR1911 gov mod I mentioned earlier. I love the .45 and still have long philosophy of use discussions with myself about the smaller 9mm and more rounds vs. the stories from my grandfather and his brother who actually used the .45 in the Philippines during WWII with devastating effect. Deciding factor to me is the pack mentality prevalent today, i.e. - not being accosted by 1 idiot but 5 or more.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dan1612 that is a very nice one. I too did not like the hinge trigger.

My EDC is usually my XDM 4.5 in 9mm with my 649 .357 as backup. If it is a shorts and flip flop run to the gas station maybe just the 649 and a speed loader. My yard work piece is my 1991 Taurus .38 with the first two snake shot as this is usually what I need it for. My XDM is at the smith getting new sights so main EDC duties right now are covered by the SR1911 gov mod I mentioned earlier. I love the .45 and still have long philosophy of use discussions with myself about the smaller 9mm and more rounds vs. the stories from my grandfather and his brother who actually used the .45 in the Philippines during WWII with devastating effect. Deciding factor to me is the pack mentality prevalent today, i.e. - not being accosted by 1 idiot but 5 or more.
    While I can whole heartedly agree that the .45 is a great round I think it is hard to compare your Grandfather's experience nearly 75+ years ago when there have been leaps and bounds in ballistics for rounds. Most of the 9mm issues have been fixed by a lot of the modern self defense ammo and they have one hell of a punch.

Make no mistake, .45 has some great stopping power but the 9mm rounds that they used in that war are vastly different then what you would use now. That is what helped me make my decision for EDC to choose 9mm as my go to round. Especially now with the Sig P365 coming with a flush mag with 10 rounds and extended as 12 rounds... It's definitely a game changer if they roll this out well.

Just my two cents without being on any bandwagon...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Appreciate your thoughts. My point was even with hardball the .45 ended encounters without prejudice. I know most of the older ballistic studies I thought were legit have now been found out to not be so airtight. Also I have a habit of relating my real world experience to things, which may or may not be good. Case in point - there is a reason there are weight classes in boxing. As a general rule Mayweather is faster but he can never hit as hard as Klitschko (just examples not endorsements). In my years of sparring I learned to be especially cautious of people who are bigger and stronger. Even if we increase the velocity of an object to the speed of light, it's potential energy will always be defined by it's mass (E=MC squared) no?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ Velocity gets the square, thus having a greater effect on the energy produced.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Appreciate your thoughts. My point was even with hardball the .45 ended encounters without prejudice. I know most of the older ballistic studies I thought were legit have now been found out to not be so airtight. Also I have a habit of relating my real world experience to things, which may or may not be good. Case in point - there is a reason there are weight classes in boxing. As a general rule Mayweather is faster but he can never hit as hard as Klitschko (just examples not endorsements). In my years of sparring I learned to be especially cautious of people who are bigger and stronger. Even if we increase the velocity of an object to the speed of light, it's potential energy will always be defined by it's mass (E=MC squared) no?

Kinetic Energy (which is what you are talking about here) = 1/2(Mass)(Velocity Squared)

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its good to ask a person who has one...actually one for sale https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?45412-WTS-pair-of-Kimber-45-Auto-s-Belleville-AL

As someone mentioned, it not the most fun firearm to target practice with due to a small light pistol in .45acp. I really like mine, but don't shoot it much anymore or carry it at all. If I were inclined to carry a .45, this one would be it. Some people think the laser is a play thing, but I don't see it so...it is a very effective tool for low and no light situations. I also believe the intuitive nature of gripping/activating the laser will make for better shot placement in adrenaline charged defensive situations....I've not been in one involving a firearm, but knowing myself, I suspect it would not be very likely that I would aim if the assailant was close/attacking/hurried to draw and shoot.

It is spendy, but my recommendation would be to shoot one if you can and see if you like it. For a compact pistol in .45acp, this is/was my choice...I just chose to carry a 9mm instead.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I disregarded lasers until I tripped over one for my j frame. It's not perfect, but it's cheaper and easier than getting one cut for a night sight.

As far as 1911's, energy transfer, power/weight ratio and carry preferences, i say scrap all that and get a snub in 38.
    Although dantes wilson 9mm thing is pretty cool.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks. From my personal experience while the kinetic energy is stated as higher, my super fast 9mm rounds didn't knock my bowling pin off the table, but the bigger slower .45 round did. Reminds me of the traffic accident investigation formulas which didn't always equal what I actually found happened at the scene. I will do some retro-reading on the KE equation to see why does mass get halved.

Question for Kimber owners - do you have the MIM parts replaced? I have had a MIM 1911 safety snap in half recently (not a Kimber) which affected my viewpoint.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. From my personal experience while the kinetic energy is stated as higher, my super fast 9mm rounds didn't knock my bowling pin off the table, but the bigger slower .45 round did.

Absolutely agree with you there. That's why I moved to .45s. Observed results in bowling pin matches. Its kind of convincing.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Man!! How I wish I could’ve used personal experience to validate physics back in college!
    I’m only somewhat teasing, the basic laws of physics aren’t really up for debate or interpretation, they simply are.
    Seriously though, I was about as big of a 45 fan as there could be, until a buddy of mine put me under a timer. I shot 45 ok, but I could get much better and faster hits with 9mm. Now over half of my collection is 9mm. When you compare defensive loading for both, the 9mm doesn’t lag quite as much as you’d expect because of its higher velocity, and the expanded diameter of modern hollow points is closer than you’d expect. If you combine that with the often increased capacity of a 9mm, and it solves the age-old debate for itself.
    However 38 Super is my all time favorite handgun cartridge.
    It’s like 9mm but faster-er and thus more powerful than both 9mm and 45. The longer/skinnier round is also smoother feeding in a 1911 frame because of geometry, but that’s a different class.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Wait, if I could’ve validated calculus as well, then I DEMAND a do-over. lol

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. From my personal experience while the kinetic energy is stated as higher, my super fast 9mm rounds didn't knock my bowling pin off the table, but the bigger slower .45 round did. Reminds me of the traffic accident investigation formulas which didn't always equal what I actually found happened at the scene. I will do some retro-reading on the KE equation to see why does mass get halved.

Question for Kimber owners - do you have the MIM parts replaced? I have had a MIM 1911 safety snap in half recently (not a Kimber) which affected my viewpoint.

I have not replaced any of the MIM parts on mine. The primary heartburn for most I know with Kimbers is that they are fairly expensive and don't carry a robust warranty. I have not needed a warranty though as I stated, I have not shot my two guns a bunch...the Target II more than the Crimson Ultra for sure. They have run well for me and I expect that to continue....if I ever do have a problem, then I suppose I will get non-MIM replacement parts. I own a few 1911's and only my Remington R1 enhanced with threaded bbl was less expensive than the Kimber TargetII actually. I don't own a springfield or Ruger as they would be my next choices likely.

I have found my Kimbers to be as good as anything else I own...the Crimson Ultra Carry is really an "cool" gun, very functional and it does what it was billed to do...again, if I were inclined to carry a .45 I'd take that one over a M&P, Glock or XDs any day of the week...but heck, I'm partial as there is nothing wrong with any of them. I just think Kimber gets a bit of a bad rap...they are good pistols though maybe not the "value" you can get in other brands

Top Bottom