• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi all,
    Here are just some thoughts on an interesting Israeli made 1911 I came across some time ago. Collector value is in the eye of the beholder but realistically this is not a high dollar 1911. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the pistol more than anything.

I guess the nomenclature for this pistol is M5000. There is not much about them on the next besides that some frames are cast and there are Philippine copies floating around there if you are trying to get the real deal made in Israel.

This particular model in interesting in the fact that it attempts to incorporate many custom features that for the time were no where near standard fair on a budget 1911.

To highlight some of it though

Commander length.
    Front/rear serrations
    dovetailed sight grooved
    Top of slide checkered to minimize glare
    Squared not rounded slide
    high ride beavertail safety
    commander hammer
    commander trigger
    flat mainspring housing
    squared not rounded trigger guard.
    checked on front and bottom of trigger guard
    extended slide stop
    extended mag release
    extended safety lever

The only thing I can see it really missing from its original configuration as far as "high end upgrade" would be a magwell, and night sights.

For a entry 1911 they really tried to stock up on the "flare" Your entry level 1911 would not have half as much done to it as this little Israeli hammer.

However it is not all roses.

In the time I enjoyed it, it shot great. Out of hundreds of rounds put thru her I think there mag have been maybe 2 stoppages which were a combo or weak mag springs and the pistol being exceedingly dirty

The bad. Though decent looking machining on the outside, the inside looks like it was chizzled out by hand. The final machining is lacking to say the least. Additionally the bushing fit is within milspec put kinda loose for accuracy sake. Finally the barrel shroud test is pretty bad on the model I had.

All that lent to accuracy suffering, however it was a very reliable pistol. They can still be found on GB for fairly cheap and the coolest part is the history that comes with the pistol.

Keep in mind that the Phillipines attempted to clone these particular models so there are a few things to check for to ensure you have a legit Israeli made pistol.

You will find the Star of David in several places throughout the pistol indicating an Israeli made pistol. See pictures for examples of what to look for if you ever come across one. Some receivers are also cast instead of forged and easily dicernable by the difference in color.

Anyhow cool little pistol with some neat history behind it. Pictures say it all.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
      image1.jpg
      231.3 KB · Views: 207
    • image2.jpg
      image2.jpg
      193.4 KB · Views: 202
    • image3.jpg
      image3.jpg
      214 KB · Views: 199
    • image4.jpg
      image4.jpg
      183.5 KB · Views: 194
    • image5.jpg
      image5.jpg
      168.9 KB · Views: 194
    • image9.jpg
      image9.jpg
      206.5 KB · Views: 198
    • image10.jpg
      image10.jpg
      225.8 KB · Views: 194
    • star 1.jpeg
      star 1.jpeg
      215.4 KB · Views: 187
    • star 2.jpg
      star 2.jpg
      135.1 KB · Views: 179
    • star 3.jpg
      star 3.jpg
      143.8 KB · Views: 183

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I like it except for the squared off trigger guard...even has some crude A1 style relief cuts for the trigger.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What exactly is the following that makes it different than a "standard" 1911 part?

commander hammer
    commander trigger

I am literally asking because I am wanting to learn and don't know! I thougth a 1911 pistol no matter the size shares a trigger and hammer etc...

I have one 1911 and not an expert at all. Just wondering!

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The trigger and hammer are the same size mostly. It’s just the shape that is different. On most entry level 1911s, the hammer will be a spur type and the trigger will be a short one without the holes.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer the standard spur type hammer and short trigger since I have short fingers it just feels and points better for me

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nice write up on a pretty cool 1911. I'm curious to see how it plays out once you change out some of the springs for the reliability issues.

Top Bottom