• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would keep it simple for her first handgun purchase. I think a lot of you are thinking a little too much and KISS is probably the best way to start anyone.

So if she wants a "full sized gun" get her a Glock 19 (unless she hates the feel, then possibly the new M&P compact).

If she wants a smaller gun go with the Shield or G43 depending on feel and budget in 9mm. Shields are normally 100 or so less than the glock 43s and are great guns.

If she is deadset on a revolver, then do something small like a .38 to help her with the recoil and learning to shoot.

Ultimately, I really, really, really recommend that you stick with a gun chambered in 9mm to start. You can pick up 100 federal 9mm for 18cpr at Wal-Mart (18$) and I've found new brass online as cheap as 13CPR on a good sale. This will help a lot when you're planning range time out and helping her get comfortable with shooting. For defensive rounds, Federal HST or Hydrashok work great. I would recommend to order them online since you can normally find them for 25$ for 50 whereas locally it'll be the same price for 20/25.

MPDCLTRET

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May I suggest a Kahr? When I was in law enforcement, it seems about a hundred years ago, we were issued revolvers. So, the Kahr was a natural choice for me since its trigger is very similar to a revolver. Kahrs also don’t need a safety because of the long trigger pull. Over the years, I’ve carried a P9, PM9 and now a P380.

My wife, who is retired US Army, also likes Kahrs. Her EDC is a CW9. It’s a fine pistol and has functioned flawlessly after the initial break in of 200 rounds (only two FTE during the break in). It’s a bit shorter (.8“) than the M&P Shield and five ounces lighter making it very concealable. MSRP and street prices are similar for the two.

MPDCLTRET

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May I suggest a Kahr? When I was in law enforcement, it seems about a hundred years ago, we were issued revolvers. So, the Kahr was a natural choice for me since its trigger is very similar to a revolver. Kahrs also don’t need a safety because of the long trigger pull. Over the years, I’ve carried a P9, PM9 and now a P380.

My wife, who is retired US Army, also likes Kahrs. Her EDC is a CW9. It’s a fine pistol and has functioned flawlessly after the initial break in of 200 rounds (only two FTE during the break in). It’s a bit shorter (.8“) than the M&P Shield and five ounces lighter making it very concealable. MSRP and street prices are similar for the two.

My mistake, she carried a CM9.

BananaTom

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take her to a range that rents handguns and let her try some out!

Or pay for her to go to JJ's "oneshot" on here and take his class. He has anything and everything that she can try while there!

That is what we did!!
    Four of us.
    It was an awesome day!!!
    Thanks so much for the suggestion buddy.

Top Bottom