• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=544&v=InUEGMVAy7g

Really not looking good for US built AK's.

Riley defense was supposed to wash that nasty US made AK failure string taste out of your mouth - especially after PSA failed.

But closing on the No Go with less than 300 rounds through, and measurable movement using the field gauge? Less than 300 rounds!?

Not just no, but oh hell no. I realize that this could be that one lemon in a run and I've seen other videos where the rifle did ... OK ... , but come on - did QA take the month off or what?

Fer pity sake manufacturers, get your heads out of your posterior already.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've owned Arsenals, WASR's and Saiga's and sadly enough ... a C39V2 ... yeah, I'll admit to it (stupid stupid stupid).

Out of all of them, I prefer the WASR.

Lesson learned.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I have one and it's been a great AK. Now granted I have only put a few hundred rounds through it but it has never had a problem. If any one has a go/no go gauge I would love to see if mine would close on it as well

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one and it's been a great AK. Now granted I have only put a few hundred rounds through it but it has never had a problem. If any one has a go/no go gauge I would love to see if mine would close on it as well

Im thinking Loki would have one, from his C39 episode?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I still can't fathom how Century, IO, or any of these companies are still in business when they build literal ticking time bombs. Rob Ski and others that have actually had catastrophic failures with these rifles have been lucky so far. Who's gonna be the first one to eat a bolt carrier or lose some digits?

Fellas, if you're gonna buy an AK - make sure it says Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, Hungary, Russia, or China on it (in no particular order).

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    man this is just getting sad now. I was really rooting for Riley Defense too. What a shame. Most powerful, technologically, advanced nation supposedly and we cant build our own AK versions. bumms me out as a firearms enthusiast, and as a veteran. We cant even make our own domestic vehicles. Jeep Wrangler is made is Mexico?

Do we even make our own armament anymore? I supposed it is contracted out because of our guns are not blowing up in our faces left and right. However a good friend of mine is horribly disfigured and ultimately died during a training accident involving a 81mm mortar. Round blew in the tube. Tube was not over heated or even hot. Just one of those things I guess.

There is a huge push for the gucchi calibers to replace the 556 but no push to just make a new upper to replace the 50s technology we have now. Had I not experienced it firsthand I would not say a thing about a DI system but fact is I have and it directly contributed to my weapons failure in Iraq. Another thing had I not seen what 556 personnaly does to human flesh then yeah I would want a new round but fact is that the 556 in a riflemens role is a deadly round

Anyway back to the OP, what a bummer about Riley. That one was really on my to buy list to try it out one day. They gotta stop making guns around the casual, light shooter where they beleive that the guy wont expend thousands of rounds. These MFGs should me making their rifles to Milspec standard IMO. Barrel may be subjective I guess if you go with 4150 nitride treated vs CL. But the rest should be built to standard. Forged trunnions. proper headspace and allignments, domed rivets, I just do not get it though I know I would be a horrible business man anyway. My priority would be a product that could equal to or out perfom the original even if that cut into my costs a bit at the front I figure Americans would know a good thing when they see it and buy even at alightly higher prices. Oh well, just one guys thoughts.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im thinking Loki would have one, from his C39 episode?

I did have one, but sold it a few months ago in my great December 2017 AK and AK stuff sell off.

Last edited:

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think they figure that most of the guys buying them will only go to the range once or twice a year and may only put 100 rounds or so out when they do. So, their wear and tear and ultimate failure rate would have / should have occurred years down the road. (Yes, I know it's been said, I just happen to agree with the statement)

I loved my C39, it fired anything I put in it and was a blast to shoot and I put around 800 through it in a short time - when I saw that it was eating the carrier, locking lugs and the carrier rail - that was it for me. Crazy, yes thank you, stupid? - I try to avoid that one. Picked up another WASR and moved on.

I was cautioned numerous times to buy another ComBlock, don't get the C39, but I just thought- MAN! a US made AK would be awesome.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An all US made AK on a milled receiver would be super awesome!! Someday we'll get right. Fingers crossed. Imagine the possibilities??!!! AK, AKM, AK74, PKMs, RPDs, Galil ARM, SVD, PSL, maybe even SVT repros!! Heart flutters just thinking about it lol.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Commie rifles are awesome without a doubt, I just had hope that MAYBE it would keep prices on things down and be an alternate supply source with the bans and embargos we've been seeing. I know, but a guy can dream can't he.

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember when WASR was a bad word in the AK world!

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Commie rifles are awesome without a doubt, I just had hope that MAYBE it would keep prices on things down and be an alternate supply source with the bans and embargos we've been seeing. I know, but a guy can dreat can't he.

I agree with you on keeping prices down. The quality just isn't there yet. Would love to see the bans lifted but I honestly don't see that happening unfortunately. A lot of really nice and well built rifles were banned in recent years. It's good for collectors like me but I'm not selfish. Would much rather everyone have access to a quality, well built rifle than it be limited to those that can afford it. An AK is supposed to be a cheap gun that anyone could shoot and maintain. Not an overly priced safe queen.

I remember when WASR was a bad word in the AK world!

Agreed! Quality definitely has improved but Century is keeping a death grip on how many come in. They want their AK's to be king!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats a very good point on on the different levels of usage by U.S. buyers. AK legendary qualities are still the main selling points but for the most part fail in translation from CONUS mfgs. Its not the 922R compliance thats the problem, its the lack of decades of experience by the workers putting AKs together and cutting costs with sub or none standard parts. If a mfg can't cut a mag well, set propper rivets or allign a front sight: what would we expect with the rest of the rifle? Many first time AK and AR for that matter, don't really know what they are buying, never looked inside or shot one and only handled it in the Shop. These most often will be the low usage folks. Any that really get the AK Bug and spin up the round count or try too, will find the good, bad and ugly.

Lets look at that "Legendary AK" and list what great, good and needs improvement. . Everybody here pretty well know how that comes out.
    Gas piston: runs cleaner and cooler inside the receiver. Allows Folding option if desired.
    Reliability: Eats it all, spits it out, in harsh conditions due to parts tolerances but at the cost of accuracy.
    Simple to breakdown and maintain.
    Sloppy/loose fit on covers and installed mags. No bolt hold open on last shot (most of them)
    Some people don't like the LOP, safety lever/travel, optic mount, no bayonet (for purists).

Pre ban are $2K+-, formerly named Arsenel (now Archon)made very good AKs @1K and above. Most everything else is a crap shoot. I was actually supprised by the favorable WASR comments, truly; they are the first I have seen but I haven't checked them out in awhile. Where does this leave us? Anybody looked outside the Box for a better version of what we like in the AK with none of the bad?

Top Bottom