• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    deputy Peterson gets $8700 per month pension for life...they must have some pretty high salaries in broward co...

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my brother was an Albuquerque cop, pension was 75% of salary after 20 years. If a similar system is in place here, that means this deputy was making $140,000 a year. Or either his percentage was higher, and salary lower, or salary higher and percentage lower

However, this doesn't mean that this was his base salary, by any means. Cops make tons of money by working unlimited hours at "off duty" gigs, where private citizens or companies pay their overtime salary rate to the department, which is passed to them as overtime pay. Pointing this out does not make me a "cop-hater" since this information was given to me by my brother when he was a cop. It is simply a fact.

When working these"off-duty" gigs of course, they are using taxpayer funded vehicles and equipment, which I find to be the more questionable part of this arrangement. I witnessed an exceptionally questionable example of this when a BCSO vehicle sat outside the Deepwater Horizon claims office in PCB for a year, engine idling all day, every day,while a deputy sat inside reading a paperback. The reason I found it to be exceptionally questionable was that the vehicle in question was a surf rescue truck, with all the lifesaving rescue equipment aboard it, not just your average patrol car. This didn't strike me as being an especially wise allocation of resources.

But I digress. The point is that much of the salary factor of his pension calculations could have come through these "off-duy" gigs, perhaps as much as 20-40 hours a week of overtime, which would certainly account for this unusually large pension.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don’t believe off duty overtime gigs factor into the retirement high five years, though I could be wrong. I do know that here in Florida they earn 3% a year towards retirement. So, 20 years would be 75%, 30 years would be 90%. Most of the guys I know work into their 33rd year to get 100%. Unlees they retire early to move on to better gigs. And as far at the overtime use of equipment. That surf recue truck was more than likely that deputies issued vehicle that he drives everyday, so there would be no requirement for him to get another vehicle. Also, depending on department policy and the overtime gig location to an incident he may still be required to respond to a call for service if that equipment was needed while he is working that overtime gig. Having to check out a different vehicle would only slow down response time for that equipment. Much like the swat guys here. They may be off duty attending a childs ball game but may still drive their patrol car to the game in case of a callout. Lastly, I do know for a fact that the ECSO guys at one time had to pay $2 per hour for every off duty gig hour worked back to the county for use of vehicle and equipment while working off duty gigs

As a side note most departments down south start in the high 40’s to low 50’s so who knows how many raises he may have earned over 20 years. And I do know that working hurricane duty overtime does count toward the high five. Which at the time of his employment was actually high 3 years. It was only in the last 8-10 years that it was changed to high 5

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In addition to employer paid percentage (salery tier and OT), there may be employer retirement account matching of additional funds placed by the employee. There may also be times when the employee can buy "Units" before retirement that will boost monthly retirement: these are spendy up front but provide more income over the long haul. These retirement funds may also be collectively invested to earn additional profit. Ours had two options: low or high risk. Both of these were well diversified and made great respective profits, until 9/11. The low risk only lost 3%, the high risk lost 82%!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doesn't really matter what they paid him, the six minutes that he was actually needed he was hiding outside. If something serious had of happened sooner they would of found out he was a disgrace to the profession and his career would have ended then.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don’t disagree with that and my earlier statement was in no way meant to approve of his actions or inactions as the case may be

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I checked with a lady I know that worked at a mall in Pensacola for 33 years and did payroll for the off-duty deputies that provided security. They were paid at least what they make when on duty and the money went directly to them, not through the Sheriff's office. She was also involved in doing the budget for several malls in central and south Florida and told me that deputies down there make quite a bit more than Escambia deputies, based on budgeted costs for security at those locations.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes. Here the off duty checks were cut in the deputies name for the full amount. Then the deputy would have to reimburse the county at $2 for every hour worked on a monthly basis. I think the current off duty gig rate is $30/hr. I may be wrong though

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Albuquerque it went through the department. Probably because they were under a consent decree from killing so many people. Gotta be legit you know, lol.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another Faculty Failure to add to the long list of related Failures. A Retired Secret Service Agent did a offered his services which were accepted to conduct a School/Campus Security Survey three month before the attack. He briefed the Key Players and listening was about the extent of their actions. There have been no reports that School Officials were considering or implementing Security changes at the time of the attack.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...cret-service-steve-wexler-20180605-story.html

purple

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Top Bottom