HD Tactical

Anybody use "The Butcher Shop" for deer processing??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anybody use "The Butcher Shoppe" for deer processing??

Heard the advert for 48 hr turnaround and they're local.... any reviews? we always use FarmFresh in Robertsdale but I'm sure Ill try this out..... If any experience please chime in.... what did you get? price? quality?

Last edited:

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    original 1st store at .................. 8190 W Fairfield Dr, Pensacola, FL 32506

2nd store recently opened at ..... 2405 Langley Ave, Pensacola, FL 32504
    Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
    Phone: (850) 458-8782

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Okay, just called them...........

yes Saw, they process hogs too..... they will take deer/hogs skinned & quartered in a cooler..... they have NO smoker..... $2 a pound plus cost additives as requested (beef, pork, fat, bacon etc.) & they specialize in Ground, hamburger patty, cube stk etc..... they can do the following sausages in link or bulk: hot italian, sweet italian, cajun, hot cajun, polish or brats.... promised 48 hr turnaround ........

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    They are fast... I will give them that. In my opinion, overpriced for what you get. $2/lb for burger? No thanks... packaging leaves a lot to be desired. Just rolled up in camo butcher paper. No consistency to size or shape of packaging (0.5lb to 1.5lb) makes for a pain to stack in a freezer. And maybe it's just me but the deer I have had done there are unbelievably bland.

Now, anything else from there is top notch. I doubt I will ever use them for processing though.

My go to- Carl's in Loxley,
    Oakes in chumuckla,
    And if there is no way for me to get to the 2 above, Cajun specialty behind Mcguires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Farm Fresh is my go to but one of the guys in my camp took his venison to be processed and they turned him away. Said they were full - so call before you go this time of year.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I picked one up from Oakes a few days ago, they were full as well but said they would be taking deer the next morning. This was Thursday afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I really hate most meat shops. I keep my meat on ice (draining) x 5 to 7 days, sometimes up to 10 days (ice changed every other day, every day if temps are high). Afterward, I de-bone and remove all marble fat, fat, tendons and 90+% of the thin slimy film stuff.
    After the meat processor gets it, there is no telling who's deer meat You will get back, but rest assured, 80+% of the time, it is not what you took to them. When you take your deer (shoulders/hams) to the processors, they de-bone it, run it thru the grinder (sausage/hamburger) with the marble, tendons, fat, etc in it. And it can taste fairly nasty most times. And if it's what I get back, I know it isn't what I took.
    Now I just cut my own deer meat into steaks and meat strips myself and omit the processors.
    Every now and again, you can get back what you take them. But let them get swamped, and coolers stacked up high (a sure sign they're running behind), and you'll be lucky to even get the poundage you took in back, or even the meat you took in.
    A friend and I took 80# of clean (de-boned, etc) deer meat to a meat processor in Alabama because they did really good Cajun sausage for us the year before. Had the whole 80# done in sausage, 50/50 w/pork. After 2 weeks, we got back 25 pounds of wrapped sausage. IDK, maybe it's just me, but my math says we were about 135# short. But they only charged us for the 25# we got back. Nothing like giving away 67.5# of be-boned deer meat, huh.
    And if you can't get back what you took, then you might think about how clean their practices are.
    Not saying ALL processors do this, But I can Name 3 I know do the exact as above. Not naming them, bc some people get touchy about negative feedback for whatever reasons, so don't ask.
    It's just really hard to find an honest processor that actually cares about their processing practices. Meaning they used the meat you brought in and processed it the way you paid to have it processed.
    So if you are looking for a processor, good luck.

Last edited:

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have processed our own my whole life. All you need is a tenderizer, grinder, dehydrator, and vacuum sealer. Spend $500 and never pay a processor again. And never have any doubt what you are getting back.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Carls in Loxley (hwy 59 about a mile south of I-10) is processing 2 deboned/trimmed of fat deer for me right now. Giving them one more chance to get it right since last years Cajun Sausage wasn't as outstanding as many years before.
    Very expensive but vacuum sealed and the taste 2016 and earlier was fantastic.

Finger crossed....

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For you guys who deboned and trimmed it, you've done all of the hard of the work. I couldn't see bringing it to a processor to finish it at that point. They'd better be giving you a discount.

As for The Butcher Shoppe, I just dropped off a deer to them at the new Langley location on Friday. I'll let ya know how it is after I pick it up.
    I've used the old Fairfield location several times with mixed results.
    The hot Italian sausage they make is awesome!

The last deer I had processed by them wasn't great overall... the Italian sausage was great, as always, but the hamburger had a little bit of a funky smell and flavor when cooked.
    I'm not sure what the problem was, but I just didn't like it. Not sure if the meat got tainted when we field dressed it or if something was introduced at the processor.
    Either way, I ended up throwing out several pounds of the hamburger last year because I got tired of throwing away food that I cooked with it.

Anyway, the deer I dropped off Friday, I know was handled properly and kept well iced and drained regularly until it got to them.
    This is their last chance. If this one comes back with any funky smell and/or flavor, they won't get any more of my deer.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom