• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey guys,

I just picked up my first 1911 a couple of weeks back and I'm hoping to get some help.

I purchased this gun - https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/s...imber-Pro-TLE-II-(EM)-FOR-SALE-West-Pensacola about two weeks ago and finally was able to take it out to the range to see how she shot. Prior to shooting, I field stripped and cleaned it while lubing up the rails.

Specs for the gun: Kimber Pro TLE II (4" bull barrel bushingless). Unknown round count; however, I was told from the seller it was a low round count.

Magazines used: (3) Wilson Combat 8 round magazines. Unknown age. The issue was happening in at least two of the magazines (I should have been more thorough with this but at least isolated 2 to for sure have consistent feeding issues).

Ammo used: 8 rounds of unknown FMJ (yellow tipped, brass). 16 rounds of unknown JHP (looked to be winchester JHP from bass pro with black tip). 50 rounds of tulammo 230 grain. 50 rounds federal brass 230 grain.

Issues: Intermittent issues with it not always feeding a round into the chamber. When looking, it appeared that the bullet was feeding upwards and downwards when it was having failure to feeds. This happened roughly 10 times out of the 124 rounds through.

3 failure to go into battery. Smacking the back of the slide fixed it.

So total, roughly 13 times out of 124 there were either feed/failure issues.

-----

I've talked to Red and he thinks I should start with looking into the mags. New spring and possibly new recoil spring as well. What are your thoughts on this for those of you that have had some time around 1911s and experience?

Here are some pics, too.

Attachments

• 20180210_133841.jpg
      20180210_133841.jpg
      525.6 KB · Views: 360
    • 20180210_133845.jpg
      20180210_133845.jpg
      30.3 KB · Views: 355
    • 20180210_133914.jpg
      20180210_133914.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 354
    • 20180210_133919.jpg
      20180210_133919.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 351

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So after watching a few videos of Kimber Pro recoil spring replacement it looks like red was correct. A lot of other Kimber owners had this issue and also one showed that even in the operators manual it said that this spring needs to be changed every 800 rounds.

I went ahead and ordered the recoil spring from Wolff instead since it seems like they make a great quality spring as well as 3 Wilson combat magazine springs.

My plan is to start with the recoil spring then put another 100 rounds through it to see if that completely fixes the issue. If it does, I will save the magazine springs if needed in the future.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some 1911's are like old cars. You have too tune and tweak to find what they like and then they run like a scalded dog!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm with Zeroed in above.
    Before you start changing out a bunch of parts,shoot the gun with wrist and elbow locked,standing square to the target. Grip the weapon firmly. Put your trigger finger as far into the trigger guard as comfortable understanding that ideally the trigger is supposed to rest across the middle of your finger pad.
    This might not change the outcome,but at least you have ruled it out. I find that most men are extremely hesitant to admit that they could be limp wristing.
    Another reason I like Glocks . . . almost impossible to do with a Glock. --- SAWMAN

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Change the recoil spring for sure. But also check extractor tension. Take slide off of gun and put a case on the breech face under the extractor. It should hold firmly, but not too tight. If too tight.......pull it out and bend it a little. I'm stealing this but "the 1911 is the king of feed way stoppages". I'm a huge 1911 fan, but you have to stay on top of them. Keep the breechface and the chamber clean. You have a good gun.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My pistols must all be broken. Every class I demonstrate that you shouldn't have to squeeze them like they owe you money by holding them at the base of the grip pinched between two fingers and my thumb while shooting a group using on my my thumb in the beaver tail and finger tip on the trigger.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would pretty surprised if I was limp wristing but admittedly this is the first hand gun I've shot aside from 9mm in a while. This is also the first nonpolymer handgun that I've shot aside from a couple of mags through a makarov.

That said I've never had any issues out of the many Glocks, my old shield .40, rugers .380s, and etc etc and I've put a lot of rounds through each.

I'm still really open to myself being the problem though. I think if it had a weak recoil spring then it could definitely make the issue worst. I also had the issue on the first mag I shot through with brass FMJ and I was gripping the shit out of it on the first mag with elbow locked.

This video also was pretty interesting to me.. looks like a properly functioning 1911 should have no issues with limp wristing whereas you have a lot more issues out of the polymers when limp wristing.

https://youtu.be/fsewsolPyBU

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Was it locking back or just not fully going into battery? I ask as I recently had a similar issue after I switched out the slidestop lever and safety on one of my 1911s.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Was it locking back or just not fully going into battery? I ask as I recently had a similar issue after I switched out the slidestop lever and safety on one of my 1911s.
    A mixture of both. Mostly locking back or locking up right before it could load the round in. The failure to go into battery happened a lot less than the failure to feed.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Most FTF problems can be resolved with a proper extractor tension and magazine. Remember, the case rim has to slide in the extractor claw to chamber properly. If this is too tight, you will have FTF. Too loose and you will have extraction issue. Wilson 47D (8 round) mags has a track record of spring fatigue overtime. Wilson 47 (7 round) is very reliable. As far as recoil springs, Wolff makes a 4” commander specific spring. Dont buy one for 4.25” commander. Better yet, go flatwire.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Most FTF problems can be resolved with a proper extractor tension and magazine. Remember, the case rim has to slide in the extractor claw to chamber properly. If this is too tight, you will have FTF. Too loose and you will have extraction issue. Wilson 47D (8 round) mags has a track record of spring fatigue overtime. Wilson 47 (7 round) is very reliable. As far as recoil springs, Wolff makes a 4” commander specific spring. Dont buy one for 4.25” commander. Better yet, go flatwire.
    Currently, I have 1x Wolff recoil spring for the 4" pro Kimber and 3x springs for the Wilson 47D mags. I'll call them on Monday to see if they can also add a firing pin spring since I meant to put that on my order too before they ship it out.

Good to know on the extractor. After swapping the recoil and seeing how she runs mag will be next. After that I'll starting toying and testing the extractor.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Currently, I have 1x Wolff recoil spring for the 4" pro Kimber and 3x springs for the Wilson 47D mags. I'll call them on Monday to see if they can also add a firing pin spring since I meant to put that on my order too before they ship it out.

Good to know on the extractor. After swapping the recoil and seeing how she runs mag will be next. After that I'll starting toying and testing the extractor.

You should start with the extractor. Recoil spring can band-aid the problem. I shot close to 10k rounds on the same recoil spring with no issue if the gun is setup properly.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You should start with the extractor. Recoil spring can band-aid the problem. I shot close to 10k rounds on the same recoil spring with no issue if the gun is setup properly.
    Any good videos that you would recommend on it?

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Some of the sypmtoms I had are very similar to the extractor being too tight. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try adjusting this prior to swapping any springs.

you should be able to slide the case under the claw with a slight tension. if you feel adventurous, you can bevel and polish the claw.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorzFGvYj40

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Borrow a few 7rd 1911 mags, your pictures show a "nose dive" that leads me to think new springs in you mags, and get a standard 7rd mag and regular ball ammo JHP's have issues some times, get some win 230gr ball or more federal 230gr. I would leave that recoil spring put until new mag's are tried first. Good luck.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Another update...

I took it apart and did the empty casing test (man it felt shitty to take apart a perfecting good round lol). The extractor was extremely tight to the point I had to force the shell in to get it seated. And then when it was seated I had to force the shell out... Else that shell wasnt budging.

I loosened it up a bit and now it holds with gravity and will stay in when lightly shaking but when shaking hard it'll fall out.

I'm going to hold off on changing any springs since how tight this extractor was on the shell. It makes sense that the magazine wasn't always able to push another round in.

I have 99 federal brass to run through her as soon as the weekend hits unless somehow I can fit a range trip in between now and then.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Range trip 2

Notes: I was gripping the hell out of it with a locked elbow on primary hand. When a mag had a single ftf/fte I would put it to the side. I started with 3x Wilson combat.

Data:

1st mag - ftf 6th round (put one mag aside)
    2 and 3rd mag no issues.
    4th mag no issue
    5th mag ftf - third round and last round (put mag aside)
    6th mag no issue
    7th mag no issue
    8th mag no issue
    9th mag no issue
    10th mag no issue

The mag that didn't have issues did 5 straight mag dumps. Going to the mags that had issues:

11th mag no issue
    12 mag, 6th round fte
    13th mag, 3 bullets no issues

At the end I noticed that the trigger would still work without the grip safety pressed. I also started to wonder if it was just me getting used to the trigger or if I had felt different pull weights even on the first shot and randomly throughout the 100 rounds. I noticed that when the grip safety was pressed, the trigger was much longer.

I'm still waiting on the recoil, firing pin and magazine springs to replace those as well. With one of the mags working without issue that makes me think that it is a magazine related issue.

So what do you guys think and do you have any advice on the grip safety?

Top Bottom