Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Help

Most FTF problems can be resolved with a proper extractor tension and magazine. Remember, the case rim has to slide in the extractor claw to chamber properly. If this is too tight, you will have FTF. Too loose and you will have extraction issue. Wilson 47D (8 round) mags has a track record of spring fatigue overtime. Wilson 47 (7 round) is very reliable. As far as recoil springs, Wolff makes a 4” commander specific spring. Dont buy one for 4.25” commander. Better yet, go flatwire.

“Shooting is simple, simple does not mean easy” -TGO

45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Most FTF problems can be resolved with a proper extractor tension and magazine. Remember, the case rim has to slide in the extractor claw to chamber properly. If this is too tight, you will have FTF. Too loose and you will have extraction issue. Wilson 47D (8 round) mags has a track record of spring fatigue overtime. Wilson 47 (7 round) is very reliable. As far as recoil springs, Wolff makes a 4” commander specific spring. Dont buy one for 4.25” commander. Better yet, go flatwire.
    Currently, I have 1x Wolff recoil spring for the 4" pro Kimber and 3x springs for the Wilson 47D mags. I'll call them on Monday to see if they can also add a firing pin spring since I meant to put that on my order too before they ship it out.

Good to know on the extractor. After swapping the recoil and seeing how she runs mag will be next. After that I'll starting toying and testing the extractor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cstokes91 View Post
    Currently, I have 1x Wolff recoil spring for the 4" pro Kimber and 3x springs for the Wilson 47D mags. I'll call them on Monday to see if they can also add a firing pin spring since I meant to put that on my order too before they ship it out.

Good to know on the extractor. After swapping the recoil and seeing how she runs mag will be next. After that I'll starting toying and testing the extractor.

You should start with the extractor. Recoil spring can band-aid the problem. I shot close to 10k rounds on the same recoil spring with no issue if the gun is setup properly.

45 ACP
    You should start with the extractor. Recoil spring can band-aid the problem. I shot close to 10k rounds on the same recoil spring with no issue if the gun is setup properly.
    Any good videos that you would recommend on it?

45 ACP
    Some of the sypmtoms I had are very similar to the extractor being too tight. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try adjusting this prior to swapping any springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cstokes91 View Post
    Some of the sypmtoms I had are very similar to the extractor being too tight. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try adjusting this prior to swapping any springs.

you should be able to slide the case under the claw with a slight tension. if you feel adventurous, you can bevel and polish the claw.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorzFGvYj40

22LR
    Borrow a few 7rd 1911 mags, your pictures show a "nose dive" that leads me to think new springs in you mags, and get a standard 7rd mag and regular ball ammo JHP's have issues some times, get some win 230gr ball or more federal 230gr. I would leave that recoil spring put until new mag's are tried first. Good luck.

45 ACP
    Another update...

I took it apart and did the empty casing test (man it felt shitty to take apart a perfecting good round lol). The extractor was extremely tight to the point I had to force the shell in to get it seated. And then when it was seated I had to force the shell out... Else that shell wasnt budging.

I loosened it up a bit and now it holds with gravity and will stay in when lightly shaking but when shaking hard it'll fall out.

I'm going to hold off on changing any springs since how tight this extractor was on the shell. It makes sense that the magazine wasn't always able to push another round in.

I have 99 federal brass to run through her as soon as the weekend hits unless somehow I can fit a range trip in between now and then.

45 ACP
    Range trip 2

Notes: I was gripping the hell out of it with a locked elbow on primary hand. When a mag had a single ftf/fte I would put it to the side. I started with 3x Wilson combat.

Data:

1st mag - ftf 6th round (put one mag aside)
    2 and 3rd mag no issues.
    4th mag no issue
    5th mag ftf - third round and last round (put mag aside)
    6th mag no issue
    7th mag no issue
    8th mag no issue
    9th mag no issue
    10th mag no issue

The mag that didn't have issues did 5 straight mag dumps. Going to the mags that had issues:

11th mag no issue
    12 mag, 6th round fte
    13th mag, 3 bullets no issues

At the end I noticed that the trigger would still work without the grip safety pressed. I also started to wonder if it was just me getting used to the trigger or if I had felt different pull weights even on the first shot and randomly throughout the 100 rounds. I noticed that when the grip safety was pressed, the trigger was much longer.

I'm still waiting on the recoil, firing pin and magazine springs to replace those as well. With one of the mags working without issue that makes me think that it is a magazine related issue.

So what do you guys think and do you have any advice on the grip safety?