• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If the grip safety is unmodified, more than likely you need more spring tension. Remove leaf spring and bend the grip safety side (far right) of the leaf spring towards you. Try not to disturb the other two prongs. Wilson mags has lifetime warranty.

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grip safety, not something to worry about UNLESS you carry it.

seems like you found your issue: magazines, the #1 problem with any 1911.

Good luck and shoot it up!

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Reporting in again...

My wolff 3x magazine springs, recoil spring, and firing pin spring all came in last week. Finally got the time to change them out tonight...

Thoughts after replacing them all:

The recoil spring looked real bent up in odd ways and definitely didn't have the rigidity of the replacement spring. Definitely a good feeling that this weak spring contributed to the issues.

Magazine springs also felt weak compared to the new springs but nothing near the level of twist and weakness of the recoil spring. The two springs that had more issues seemed a bit more bent up and had less resistance. The wolff springs felt much stronger and like a nice improvement.

Firing pin spring didn't really seem like it needed replacing but I did it just in case. Seemed nearly identical to the Wolff spring as far as rigidity and look.

When racking the slide, it feels MUCH tighter and overall a much better feel to it.

I'm lucky enough to get some range time in tomorrow... I'll be putting another 100 brass through. 50 Winchester white box and 50 federal. I'm feeling pretty confident I will be putting these 100 through without a single ftf or issue unless I did something stupid without realizing. I also picked up a governement issue 7 round magazine from Gulf Coast Guns to help with testing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bring your old recoil spring with you just in case it has cycling issues. Just in case.

What price does gulf coast guns have on their 1911 mags?

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bring your old recoil spring with you just in case it has cycling issues. Just in case.

What price does gulf coast guns have on their 1911 mags?
    Gulf coast guns has them for $15. I will note on mine I have to have the slide open for it to seat but I also have the custom magwell so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    your mags will lock in on a closed slide, you just need to push a little harder / faster to overcome the loaded ammo spring pressure and mag release.

Thanks for the info. $15 was that new in the wrapper / baggy magazine?

CMP sold 1911 surplus mags new in the wrap a few years ago, limit 10 each member, 4 out of my 10 do Not lock the slide back on the last round, but all feed reliably, all mine were dated 1992 mfg date.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    your mags will lock in on a closed slide, you just need to push a little harder / faster to overcome the loaded ammo spring pressure and mag release.

Thanks for the info. $15 was that new in the wrapper / baggy magazine?

CMP sold 1911 surplus mags new in the wrap a few years ago, limit 10 each member, 4 out of my 10 do Not lock the slide back on the last round, but all feed reliably, all mine were dated 1992 mfg date.

Good to know. Yeah, I definitely prefer the fit and look of the Wilson Combats (as well as the extra round) but it was convenient and I thought I'd be going to the range a lot sooner before the magazine springs came in. I'll check to see if I can find a manufacturing date on it and report whatever issues I get out of it today.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    And the adventure continues...

The good:

I had 0 issues with ftf/fte out of the 1911 using the Wilson combat mags.

The bad:

The surplus US government contract mag caused a ftf and I had to fight with it to get it out of the gun.

The ugly:

When I was shooting one of the Wilson combat mags it felt a little odd. I thought I felt two shots quickly cycle through on two different times. I thought maybe it was just in my head. I think slowed down and paid attention and on the next magazine it shot three rounds through off one trigger pull.

Soooo what is next? Talked to red earlier and he recommended that I replace the seer. I did replace the firing pin spring and I feel like I put it in correctly as it only appeared to go one way and it is snug to the back where it sits. Any ideas?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Holy cow. What did the seller have to say about all of this? Did he have similar issues, or did the problems suddenly just start after you purchased it?

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I contacted the seller after I had all of the ftf asking a few standard questions and the seller said he never had any issues at all and the gun just sat in his safe for a while with the mags loaded.

I sent him another long text just now and honestly I don't know what to expect. It feels pretty shitty to buy something described as working perfectly and then run into all of these issues though. I find it pretty hard to believe that none of these issues ever came up.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes....it seems very strange to me..... Ive never heard of anything like this.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really, I think the time for guessing is done, especially with the slam fires. I think I'll not be alone in recommending either shipping it off to Kimber and letting them deal with it, or making an appointment to see jj (oneshot) (his number is all over the forum, and if he offers it, call, he's not a fan of PMing). I've no doubt that jj can get this gun running reliably, and you'll almost certainly learn something in the process. He helps a lot of people, so be understanding if he can't fit you in right away.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is how you test the sear interface and spring to determine which is is.

"No ammunition or magazine in the gun...lock the slide open. Pull the trigger and hold it full rearward. Release the slide and let it go to battery at full speed. If the hammer doesn't follow, it's probably the sear spring tension. If it does, it's a problem with the sear and/or hammer, and possibly the disconnect itself."

If it's an intermittent problem you may need to run it numerous times. I'd just take it to a smith and have it fixed. It sounds like someone already home smithed it enough. The easy button is a C&S drop in kit for it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The sales ad mentioned he had massaged the trigger, aka home made trigger job and took off too much metal on the sear, install a new one, bright side is you will know this gun inside and out. It will be your great adventure and motivate you to shoot more.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Do you guys have any seer / seer springs you'd recommend? I really like the quality of the other wolff springs that I've replaced everything with. I'm also somewhat tempted to ship this to Kimber but I have the feelings that all of the issues with this gun are from the previous owner(s) making modifications and thus fucking something up.

I also know that the grip safety is still not functional... the hammer go with or without the grip safety compressed.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I suggest you have it looked at by a competent smith. Working on ignition parts is iffy if you are not familiar with the platform

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree go to a good gunsmith, you are chasing one issue after the other. It will cost you some, but in the long run you will spend more money on "diagnostic ammo" than on a good gunsmith.

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any updates? Did you swap out them parts and try again? It's a pretty simple pistol once you take it apart a few times. Good luck!

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I ended up calling oneshot and we are supposed to be meeting up here soon. Life has been a bit crazy for me but it is high on my list of things to do.

As mentioned before, contacted seller and linked this thread. Nothing but silence.

Top Bottom