• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    JUst had a from member bring in a 1911 he had another shop working on, he said they had it for 8 mo. Had a lot of issues . got it going in about 2hrs. Still got a couple of issues. getting them worked out, oh he paid them 100.00 bucks. I don't get enough. Just my 5 cents jj

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, oneshot got me mostly squared away. Oneshot had it taken fully down and it looks like the sear, sear spring, and disconnector all looked to be original without any modification to it. The screw in the trigger assembly needed to be modified as it was wasn't letting the sear function properly.

Shot 125 rounds through it (100 winchester white box, 25 federal) and it mostly went flawless. I had two stovepipes but I'm not convinced that it wasn't user error or from the winchester white box. After the stove pipes we checked the extractor again and it seemed to be good and the magazines still have fresh springs. We also found out that even though the hammer goes forward without the grip safety engaged it will not fire. Also, out of the couple of mags he had lying around 1 went in and set properly one did not. So, I'm guessing that it'll just be a bit finicky with the magazines it will take.

I'm going to put another 100 through it and if it is still having intermittent issues I'll be contacting Kimber since I now know the internals haven't been modified to see if I can get this sorted.

Thanks again for all the help and I'll do another update when possible.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never seen or heard of a 1911A1 variant that will allow the hammer to drop without the grip safety (GS) being deressed. I'm glad it doesn't fire (catching a half cock notch?) but that still appears to be defective. The Kimber manual say the trigger can't move back unless te grip safety is disengaged. It also says the "half cock" will catch an accidently dropped hammer but IS NOT CONSIDERED A SAFETY. I'm not a 1911A1 expert, but if the trigger moves back and drops the hammer without the GS depressed: the Trigger-Bow is not blocked by the internal stop on the GS. Vid at Link below.

Oneshot probably looked at these areas, but its a good vid on the problem. Much better then me typing more.
    Grip Safety issues/Test/fixes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-kdiI0pI2fc

Good luck

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, you might wanna carry a back-up pistol when you carry that one, or tell the bg to wait a minute until you make sure it's gonna fire when it's supposed to.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yup, you might wanna carry a back-up pistol when you carry that one, or tell the bg to wait a minute until you make sure it's gonna fire when it's supposed to.
    Yeah I think I'll stick to my shield for carry

I'm hoping that with more rounds it'll go better but for now it'll just be a range gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Unfortunately, thats not a self healing, break in issue. Did you try the tests in the vid? Results?
    No I haven't had a chance to tinker with it just yet.

Yeah, it is more a me test than the gun. I'm still getting used to the 1911 as a platform so I want to rule out that I didn't cause the stovepipes from limpwristing or the ammo being Winchester white box. Since it was only 2 rounds out of 125 and it wasn't a specific round consistently I'm leaning towards it was ammo/my fault.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom