• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Does anyone know if there are any bullseye matches around here?

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK. Bullseye is fired one-handed. There is an explanation in the link I sent.

A "900" match is 90 rounds, takes about an hour and 15 minutes. You can shoot a .22 or a centerfire. Most folks at the 900 matches shoot a .22.

A "2700" match is 270 rounds. For that, you'll need a .22, a .45, and (optionally) a centerfire. It takes all day.

Revolvers are legal but a handicap, so most folks shoot autoloaders.

Fixed sights are legal but a handicap, so most folks use adjustable sights.

Iron sights are legal, but a handicap in poor light, or if you are old enough, so most folks use optical sights.

Most folks using optical sights use red dot scopes, with zero magnification.

In the weekly 900 matches, about a dozen people show up. About 1/2 are shooting Smith 41s. The rest are usually divided among Rugers, Hammerlis and 1911s. Occasionally you'll see a Hammerli centerfire, a Smith 52 or a some sort of 9mm on the line.

Pretty much everyone who shoots a centerfire reloads for it.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Ok I will be there next Thursday. I will bring my ruger 22/45 and my Remington 1911 just in case I decide to shoot that instead.. it says bring your own targets but doesn't say what kind. Do you know what would be best?

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regulation outdoor pistol targets. You'll need a full face target on cardboard, plus some replacement 50-yard centers, and some replacement 25 yard centers. You can buy enough for three matches at the range for about $5. Just show up early (before 9) and tell someone it is your first time out and you need to buy targets. Bring some masking tape, and a light duty staple gun or thumbtacks to replace target centers. The prime directive before the match is don't handle firearms while people are downrange.

It will be much easier to shoot the course with a .22 than a .45 for a number of reasons, so I encourage you to use that if it is reliable. When the sustained fire matches start, the key is to break the first shot smoothly and promptly after the targets turn to face you. Then continue to fire at an even pace, with a smooth trigger pull that commences before the gun is pointed at the target.

Top Bottom