• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So I recently came into possession of a sword which belonged to my great grandfather who was in the war of northern aggression. It hung in my grandfather's house as long as I could remember. When he passed away I was overseas and came back for the funeral (interesting story for another time). Anyway I presumed it was lost to my uncle who would raid for things to sell or the things he didn't sell he would mess up in some way, hence my amazing 1911 with a replaced barrel :eek:
    My parents gifted me a large amount of furniture last year since my family is large now and dad retired so they downsized to a smaller place. Along with some firearms one of the things was the sword! It was all black and the blade wobbles a little bit in the guard, but it is from the man who taught me to fish (saltwater) and to shoot (the 1911). One evening here lately I took it down from atop the shelf I had stored it on and just started cleaning it up. Not sure why but something told me to get off the couch and do it. Anyhoot here we are several months later and I believe it is a "footy" sword from perhaps around 1864 (?) which has me super excited. Really could not believe it once the pommel started to shine and the scroll work on the blade started to show. Now you can even see the wire wrapped on the grip. Here are some pics. IMG_4879.jpg IMG_2680.jpg IMG_7556.jpg IMG_1675.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpg
      IMG_4879.jpg
      403.1 KB · Views: 172
    • IMG_2680.jpg
      IMG_2680.jpg
      324.2 KB · Views: 179
    • IMG_7556.jpg
      IMG_7556.jpg
      320.3 KB · Views: 175
    • IMG_1675.jpg
      IMG_1675.jpg
      362.9 KB · Views: 172

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Very nice, thanks for sharing! Have things passed down from your grandfather or great grandfather is something special for sure! I have some stained glass lamps my grandfather made that I recovered when my grandfathers house burned, they were covered in ash but now shine like new after I cleaned them up!

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow...what a piece of history! Amazing job cleaning it up and hopefully you know or can find the "story" behind that sword etc... My Grandfather had some cool relics from wwII but his son took them after his death and they were burned up in a trailer fire. I could kick myself because I had in my possession a few of them and returned them to my grandfather before his death.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Beautiful.. just beautiful... Not to sound greedy, but would you have a before photo...

I found a heavy cavalry Sword (Yankee) up in my Grandma's attic in Indiana when I was a kid. She did not know where it came from, but she hid it up there because my when my Uncles were younger they found it in the basement and they were going to go out and split Watermelons with it.. She took it from them not to save the sword but to save my Uncles... Knowing my Uncles it was a wise decision.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ohhh forgot to ask do you have the scabbard???

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Great looking piece of history and a good story. I wouldn't attempt too much restoration untill I talked to a professional.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank y'all so much for the comments! Never seen the scabbard. I do have a before pic somewhere lol. The blade smith I spoke with turned me on to these eraser type things that literally erase rust and slag for use on the blade. The hand guard I polished with brasso and I used a saddle soap on the handle then a toothbrush. From what I can find on the internet sometimes the handle wire is gold. I plan to take it to the blade smith over in ft Walton one of these days.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Wow! Your great-grandfather was in the civil war? That’s amazing.
    I’m just trying to figure this out mathematically.
    What years were your great-grandfather, grandfather and father born?

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I do believe so sir, I have his picture in a convex bubble glass frame on my wall which came to me with the sword. Granddaddy (Jack) was born 19 September 1912, and died in 2004 at 92yrs old. He was the highest ranking Mason in the state of South Carolina. My father was born September 16 1955, however, Jack was my mother's father, and did not become her father until late in his life. I will have my wife pull our DOC and SCV records for the exact correct date of birth for Jack's father, my great grandfather.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Please excuse the questions but I’m retired from a numbers job so I’m always checking to see if things add up and I can’t figure this one out.
    Was your great-grandfather pretty old when he fathered Jack?
    The Civil War was fought from 1861-1865.
    Anyway, let’s say your great-grandfather was only 18 when he fought. That means he would have been born around 1843 - 1847. That means he would have been 65 - 69 when he fathered your grandfather.
    Things were different back then.
    Seems I read several years ago that the last widow of a civil war veteran died in the 1960s but she married a guy who was in his 60s when she was around 20.
    Please post if you find his birth year. This is interesting.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I was incorrect sir and you were right to question the numbers. William M. Bryan was actually my great great grandfather, and he was born March 26 1820. During the war of northern aggression he served in the 5th Battalion, Cavalry, of the Great State of North Carolina.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I don’t know how good I was but I kept the job long enough to make it to retirement.
    If I see something that doesn’t seem to add up, it bugs the heck out of me till I get it figured out.
    Thanks for bearing with me M60.
    It’s great that you know family history like that and even have a relic to pass on to your offspring. Very cool.

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom