• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all, I recently came into ownership of a basic Remington R1 1911. Just sharing my thoughts for those contemplating an entry level 1911 purchase.

So off we go.....

Model: Remington 1911 R1 with factory OD cerakote frame. MFG in the ILION, NY USA plant, read that QC is suffering a bit at the AL plant, not sure.

Upgrades: VZ slimline grips, Black G10, no mag taper and mag thumb bevel cut. Proper grip bushings and slim torx screws, locktight not needed.

Fit: Slide to frame fit is tight. Tighter than say milspec tolerances but not as tight as custom 1911s. All component pieces fit flush and centered, No slide overhang on the rear. Very minimal machining marks and those are only found by looking very closely at the internals of the pistol. Machining is on par with 1911s at a much higher price point. Trigger is a little wobbly in the housing so can use some tuning.
    Frame and slide are forged here in the great USA from what I read. Unsure of the hardness. however I have already dropped this thing and the concrete chipped and my pistol was not even dinged. hard enough i guess. I have owned several 1911s in the past, everywhere from entry to custom and feel that the machining is almost as good as a custom example. At the very least it is punching above its weight class easily.

Finish: Ok at best. Expect your finish to wear out fast on this pistol. I received mine used and the finish was pretty bad on the slide. Nothing a little cold blue and some heat could not fix, followed by some gentle blending of 0000 steel wool and it was looking like a champ in no time. The OD cerakote frame seems to be holding up ok for the most part just high lights on the high spots.

Odds and ends: Slide is dovetailed machined so you can easily change out the sights not like a true milspec model. Standard rear serrations, again machined perfectly. Lowered and flared ejection port. Large 3 dot sights standard. Flat mainspring housing. Standard spur hammer and standard righty safety lever. Standard grip safety. Match grade stainless barrel and though not marked, appears to have a match or at least a very robust bushing on there with no cant or deviation from center. From what I read the barrel actually thickens as it reaches the bushing portion for better and tighter lockup hence good accuracy. Pushing down on the barrel shroud reveals no movement. 2 click hammer cocking unlike the 3 you see on Springfield TRPs and such. Pretty much just standard components all around are used with the exception of the barrel bushing/barrel combo. That and the sights.

I am a minimalist when it comes to firearms so the R1 is right up my alley. No crazy magwell or beaverday, adjustable sights, or FLGRs. Being a full size 5in example it is not small but coupled with the VZ slim grips I had lying around and the standard controls, it just goes together. Though heavy when loaded up with 8 230gr SD rounds, I still finds it conceals great IWB appendix or on my side.

I have only but a few hundred rounds thru her so far but I have yet to have a hiccup. I may need to tune the extractor a bit more just for my liking however it has no problem extracting as is. I just like uniform extraction and I noticed a few that would deviate from my preferred 4-5 o clock ejection. Each sitting I would run 10 mags back to back all 8 rounders and 1 10 rounder. So she got plenty dirty quick and hot. No issues.

While the dream someday is still to own a Thunder Ranch Special, this beater R1 is too awesome. If you come across one at a fair price or trade I would just jump on it. A well used one should be in the $4-500 dollar range and I think brand new ones can be found for just over $500. Again I am not positive but I had read that the AL plant was having some QC issues and that the Ilion NY MFG ones are better made. Cant confirm till I see one for myself.

If you are in the market for an entry level 1911 that you can then trick out and make your own if you wish, take a hard look at the R1. American made 1911 baseline example you can always customize off of. Slide and Frame being the foundation of course and you get a rock solid one to start out with.

Pics coming.

Thanks all, have a great rest of the weekend.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Few pics of the beater

Attachments

• D87EE135-523A-48AF-A7DD-70FCDCE44EAF.jpg
      D87EE135-523A-48AF-A7DD-70FCDCE44EAF.jpg
      219.9 KB · Views: 188
    • 71019434-610F-4619-9B43-D4DA2CD0E48D.jpg
      71019434-610F-4619-9B43-D4DA2CD0E48D.jpg
      232.9 KB · Views: 186
    • 05BE920C-9DDE-400F-B692-27B2747CAB09.jpeg
      05BE920C-9DDE-400F-B692-27B2747CAB09.jpeg
      161.2 KB · Views: 192
    • E468B3B4-310A-445B-B46B-C8A0B8EF72DE.jpeg
      E468B3B4-310A-445B-B46B-C8A0B8EF72DE.jpeg
      148.7 KB · Views: 193

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good review. I've recently gotten the itch for a 1911 and have started looking around. The R1 is a nice looking pistol.

Remington is def worth a look. And if you just wanna get your feet wet first the standard R1 is hard to beat IMO. With basic modifications to your liking and you have a nice reliable 1911. Dang R1 is like a brick too since it has a forged slide and frame instead of the aluminum frames found on most CCW geared 1911s. Thing can be used as a hammer as a last resort. Have fun shopping around!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom