• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opsec

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello, the wife and I are moving to Baldwin county from IL, she has family down there. I used to work for the railroad but when I saw that there were no RR jobs down there I went to school for IT. I am finishing up a few database classes and server classes and then I plan on going to school down there to do the programming side of it all. I am a pistol instructor and a RSO and I carry as much as I can up here and we are looking forward to the move and warmer weather. I am planning on hitting a few of the ranges to see if I can make some friends.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Welcome to the forum, great to have you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Welcome to the forum! I'm the one who directed you here from the other forum. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Opsec

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I have never seen so many shooters in one area. (Legally)

Last edited:

JS_280

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome! I'm in the Foley area and have been a DBA/SQL developer for around 12 years now. Good luck with your education!

Opsec

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome! I'm in the Foley area and have been a DBA/SQL developer for around 12 years now. Good luck with your education!

How is the employment? I am a little nervouse since I am getting certs not degrees, I feel too old, and getting a degree will take 4 years and I don't want to be 44 when I start I am trying to grind as many classes I can to get as many certs I can, I will have 3 college certs after 1 year. Servers, computer support, and a comptia A+ and networking one.

JS_280

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a weird question for you guys, where do you get cable and internet from, Comcast isn't down there.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to be stuck with CenturyLink DSL in Foley. I'm starting to think there's some type of under-the-table shenanigans going on to keep them as the sole provider in the area. Satellite is an option, but as you know, the ping times for satellite are abysmal. MediaCom cable is supposedly in Foley, but from what I understand, it's in very limited spots.

Depending on what part of Foley you're in, you'll either be able to get 10Mbps or 20Mbps service. I'm at the very border-line of the 20Mbps service, and fastest download speeds I have ever seen here is around 12Mbps.

From broadbandnow.com:

[FONT=&quot]The average download speed in Foley is 6.12 Mbps. This is 348.7% slower than the average in Alabama and 594.1% slower than the national average.[/FONT]

Top Bottom