• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I seen Amazon has on sale a .223 Broken Shell Extractor for $3.91, and it got me thinking. How often have you ever used one? Have you even ever? When I was in the military, I shot zillions of 5.56 and never had a broken shell. And never had one in civilian life either with countless .223 firings.
    Is this Extractor primarily for the .223 because of it's thinner wall as to the denser wall thickness of the 5.56 cartridge?
    Just curious.

Danoobie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to agree I've never had a broken shell in any caliber. But I've only got a couple ARs, and don't jack a huge volume
    of rounds through them.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many mfg user manuals state not to shoot steel case ammo. There's steel on steel, varnish, poly coatings that add to chamber fouling, especially in guns run hard, hot with mag dumps add poor maintenance and the odds stuck case with or without rim seperation (whole or partial). Brass cases can also fail from being reloaded too many times. Often a second round is fed into the stuck case, won't go into battery. If lucky, both will extract together.

A case extractor makes removal much easier and you won't take a chance of a improvised tool slipping an gouging sometime. I'v never owned one but wish I had one for 8mmJS decades ago. It becams a man vs task pissing contest for two weeks. Lol. If I only had one SHTF 5.56 I have that tool in my Go Bag. Their cheap, spoil yourself.

We would get 2-3 case head seperations a year on the range with factory fresh ammo in our Ruger Mini14GBs. I'm not counting the bolts coming out of the slide track failures against the ammo. Over 500 officers qualified with these well worn rifles every year. Bolts cracked, slides and receivers cracked and bent too. Ruger replaced the parts and in several cases the complete rifle: no cost, no hassle. The GBs didn't serve badly, they just served for too long. Ultimately they were replaced by AR15.

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two years ago I had a case separation on one of my .223 bolt guns. I tried everything, including three different case extractors. No luck.

Finally I got some low temperature Cerrosafe chamber casting metal. You can easily melt this stuff with a heat gun. I shoved a patch down the barrel and left it in the rifling about 1/2" ahead of the chamber. I poured the molten casting metal into the chamber. When it solidified, I waited the advertised time for it to shrink a little bit. Then I tapped out the slug of metal along with the broken case. It's easy, quick, and did NOT harm the chamber and that was very important to me. It's not something you would try at the range, but if an ordinary extractor doesn't work, the chamber casting metal approach is a real God send.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On the 8mm: I took a threaded bolt, filed a slight taper in the first few threads. Cut the head off a case and tested it for grip on the case and to see how many turns I could go without case deformation or stripping internal case brass. Inserted/tightened then tapped it out with a one piece rod against the bolt from the muzzle. There was a lot of penetrating oil use prior and I'm sure it helped the process. This has a larger surface bearing area then a stubby screw into the case neck which I observed later, got to be extra cautious there.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had several case head separations in 6mm's from too many firings on shitty brass. The best tool that I found to extract them is a 9mm bronze brush on the end of a cleaning rod. Force it down the barrel from the breach then snatch it out. It should work with a .224 barrel

Top Bottom