Patriot Mobile

What Is Your All Time Favorite Rifle Caliber/Cartridge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsaltnfla

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This question has probably been posted thousands of time, but it is good to bring it up now and then to see the current trend. There are all kinds of reasons of why one may like a particular caliber over all others and everyone's reason is correct. My personal favorite is the .257 Roberts. Here's why: it is extremely accurate in a good rifle, it is easy to reload, with a couple of dies, .257 brass can be readily made from .270 and .30-06 brass, it is extremely effective for long range varminting, and in the hand of a cool shot an accurate rife, and good bullets, it can take most big game.
    Joe

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ever humble .22 LR. With a good rifle and in capable hands it will accomplish tasks that far exceed common expectations. If viewed as the only thing available and how you would adapt your hunting/tactics in order to maximize use with the available balistics: its very effective.
    It still cheaper to stockpile then any other cartridge and there are reloading kits/tools on the market (time consuming and tedious but will work if you need it).

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    30-06, capable of taking any game in the US (and more) and is the parent case for quite a few other capable calibers.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The ever humble .22 LR. With a good rifle and in capable hands it will accomplish tasks that far exceed common expectations...----- its very effective.

Not sure what they're using now, but It wasn't long ago when the .22 was the top choice of Hitmen. Cheap, lightweight, accurate, break-down models, easily suppressed and disposed of.

:focus: I have 7 calibers I consider my Favorite, but if I were to choose just 1, it'd be dependent of what I was doing with it. So for Deer, I'd say my 7mm-08 1st choice, 2nd would be my .243. If I were after Hogs, my 1st choice would be my .308, 2nd would be the 7mm-08. Varmints, my 1st choice would be my .204 Ruger, 2nd choice would be my .17HMR or maybe the .243 if there was a lot of heavy cover. Squirrels, my 1st choice would be the 17HMR, 2nd choice would be my .22LR and if it was early season, I'd use my 12ga.
    Now not saying I wouldn't shoot a hog if I was squirrel hunting with the .17HMR, 'cause I would, but I am saying, If my favorite was my .308 Only, I certainly would not shoot a squirrel with it.
    If I were just punching paper targets, I'd say my Favorite would be All of them. It'd be kinda redundant to target practice with just "your favorite" caliber.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had a Troll rifle one time, .300 Weatherby mag, but I traded it for a nice Japanese needle point rug. I sure miss that rifle! The ex got the rug.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have vivid memories of shooting 2 specific rifles for the first time. My dads bolt action 30-06 when I was about 12 (over 30 years ago), which I still have. The other was my buddy's AR15 which was about 20 years ago. I guess it was .223 or 5.56 I will never forget that I was blown away by both. Different reasons of course, lol. I literally remember firing my first rounds of both. My dad had me shooting a tree. My buddy had me shooting a styrofoam coffee cup really far away.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .22lr, 7.62x51/.308Win, and 7.62x51R/.30-30. These cover all critters and most vehicles. They just..."Git 'er done".

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Never really thought about having a particular favorite before, but I suppose if I had to pick one, .308 Win would fill the bill.

Top Bottom