• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think Colt is currently producing three retro models. Must be sufficient sales in retro parts by other companies to spur a production run. Probably won't be exact pin sizes, take down pins or open auto sear space but still cool off the shelf. Changes in engraved company name should keep new retros from being confused with originals.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just took a look at the Brownell's version of the XM177E2. Tons of things unreal about their offering. Not even close.
    Still waiting on Colt to come out with their line of retro guns. With them being able to use their own Colt marked lowers,hopefully their guns will be more "correct".
    The two major things that will never be correct about these guns are the "AUTO" selection,and the "true" moderator. Both of which would get ATF involved. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Troy Rifles example actually does have the right markings....even though it's faux, it's a XM177E2 model, and I think it costs less than a Brownell's version.

IMG_0991.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0991.JPG
      IMG_0991.JPG
      74.4 KB · Views: 166

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> Troy makes the closest to the real thing. Besides the AUTO" selection,the slightly longer bbl, and the "COLT" marked lower,the rest is almost unnoticeable.
    I have two ordered. They are still about 3 weeks out. One will be presented to a friend at a reunion this summer,and the other will be MINE. ---- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I think Colt is currently producing three retro models. Must be sufficient sales in retro parts by other companies to spur a production run. Probably won't be exact pin sizes, take down pins or open auto sear space but still cool off the shelf. Changes in engraved company name should keep new retros from being confused with originals.

Colt has produced their M16A1 Reissue and is priced at the tune of $2499. They are supposed to be coming out with a XM177E2 version as well. No word on if or when. Most likely, it will be priced outrageously as well. Troy Ind. and Brownells are the only companies that are targeting the mass populous with reasonable pricing. The Troy Ind. models are built very well and they pay a lot of attention to detail. They are not a direct copy of the Colt as they cannot be. They are as close as they can get without copyright infringement. While they are not 100% dead-on copies of the originals, they have done what they could to be as correct as possible with the restrictions they have. Brownells is doing pretty much the same. They also offer the most reproduction parts for retro builds than any other company. While their new retro line of ARs covers several of the classic models, they are not 100% correct either, but they, like Troy, are not far from it. For anyone wanting to buy as opposed to building a retro AR, Brownells and Troy Industries are the best thing going these days. Colt has priced themselves out of the market and caters to only the few who can afford these Colt Reissues. BTW, I have already seen a GB ad with someone already trying to sell a couple M16A1 Reissue upper assemblies for $1200 each. Why? How knows. Sounds like someone with more money than sense. Personally, I prefer, and will, continue to roll my own retros. I like having the satisfaction and reward of building them myself.

Top Bottom