• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a question for those of you who keep a pump shotgun loaded for self defense. Do you have any concerns about spring compression? Do you down load your magazine? I have a low end Benelli that I am considering keeping loaded in cruiser ready condition but I am wondering about spring compression.

I normally carry a semi-auto pistol and I simply rotate my magazines a few times a year to address any spring compression concerns but I obviously cannot do that with a pump shotgun.

Am I worrying unnecessarily about this issue?

BigC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Although i see a lot of debate about letting mag springs "rest" and then a lot of people saying that is bs. But i would like to think it is even more so pointless with a pump. semi pistols have a split second to move the next round into place where the pump is much slower.

But in the end i am interested to hear peoples input.

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Springs wear out from expanding and compressing. Sitting loaded will not wear out a spring.

From what I've previously read on the internet anyway...

Danoobie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the years I've been shooting, I've never had a mag spring wear out. Some were total crap from
    the moment I opened the box, but none of the good ones have worn out.

I keep my shotgun loaded, in my bedroom, right next to the earplugs...

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Am I worrying unnecessarily about this issue?

Yes.

Springs wear out from expanding and compressing. Sitting loaded will not wear out a spring.

What he said. ^^^

Think about it: Your car sits on its springs 24/7/365. They dont wear out from it, do they?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have tested 3-31rd Glock mags and 1-31rd Scherer mag loaded with 9mm for at least 3+ years to test. I currently have 3-Troy Battle mags loaded to test those springs. It's been awhile but as I recall it (estimating the time frames so don't quote me) anyway, the Scherer spring failed within about 3 months. 1- OEM Glock mag cycled 1yr later with no problem. About a year later, I checked the 2nd OEM Glock mag. Again, cycled as it should. I tested the 3rd OEM Glock mag about a year or so later (totaling about 3yrs loaded). After the 1st round cycled, it stopped cycling. I thought the spring had failed because it wasn't pushing the rounds up. I pulled the mag, dumped the ammo. You could tell the spring seemed weak because it still wasn't performing as new. I reloaded with 10 rounds, slammed the mag to "bounce" the ammo to work the spring. Continued this action while loading it to max 31 rounds. Reinserted into mag-well and manually cycled all 31 rounds without a problem. Repeated this action several times and the mag spring worked as it should w/o any feeding issues. I believe I have another one still loaded, easily been over 6 years. I also have a Ithaca 12ga (bought in '73-'75 so it's old), it's been loaded now for over 2 years without firing. I just now checked it and it cycled the rounds w/o fail. Spring is very strong. It has been loaded for longer periods of time in excess of 2 years w/o firing it as well. I keep my guns loaded and am a firm believer that an unloaded gun kills more people unintentionally than a loaded gun under the same circumstances. So I think you should be okay w/o worries that your OEM spring will perform regardless if kept loaded or not. But I'd have reservations if the spring wasn't OEM.
    Since your shotgun is a pump, if the spring ever did fail you, just point the barrel skyward when working the action and it will continue to feed, just the way it's designed. Shoot, point barrel upward, work the pump action (pull slide down), the spent round will eject, the next will be in place and be chambered when you pull the slide up completing the pump action. Fire, repeat. Hope maybe some of this helps.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I normally carry a semi-auto pistol?

i didn’t know you own a bottom feeder :laugh:

your shotgun spring should last longer than your shoulders. I have a police trade-in 870 that sat cruiser ready most of its life and still spits out shells with authority. But if it makes youe sleep better at night, they’re pretty inexpensive to replace.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don’t blame ya. Sure there are faster guns. But nothing puts more smile on my face than a good ol’ wheelgun and wadcutters.

p95ccw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe they do wear but it is pretty minimal and depending on the firearm will not affect it. I think it really depends on your magazine + firearm design. Some magazines push the spring closer to its limits than others.

Here is a good video that I watched a while back:

Top Bottom