45 ACP

Should I use my pre-ban Colt AR for training class?

Background: I have a Colt Lightweight Sporter I bought just before the Clinton gun ban. The serial numbers indicate it is a pre-ban. It has about 200 rounds through it and is in very nice condition. It is the only AR I have.

I would like to take a basic AR course at CORE in Baker. I have little AR experience and want to fix that. I expect I will be adding training wear and marks to the rifle. I do not know if this rifle has any special value today that would be lost by using it in a class.

I am asking for your advice in the hopes of preventing me from losing money by destroying the "collector" value of this rifle, if there is any.

Thanks!

22LR
    It's worth more in Massachusetts.

Sold the last of my pre-bans there earlier this month.

Sell & Replace with New Colt AR6720, & pocket the differ.

45 ACP
    Why is it worth more in Mass?

I've got a pre Ban Colt SporterII thats 50/50 A1-A2, in the same condition. Safe Queen, no intent to shoot it. Flood of cheaper priced ARs in recent months reduce buyer potential except States that maintained the Ban as a State Law. It varies but pre-ban were grandfathered. Which created a higher dollar market them. I don't know the Laws of those States regarding out of State sales into Ban States.

On a side note: its great to take a training course but you need to make sure your gear is reliable and even if it is, a backup AR could keep you from spending money on a Class you can't finish. Often Staff and other students can help you out with a equipment failure but there are no guarantees. I don't know "how basic" the Course is. Some folks wouldn't consider 200 rounds enough of a reliability test. You might want to shoot, clean, inspect, lube and shoot more before the Course to get a better feel for the AR, and what ammo it likes and doesn't, bullet weight verse barrel twist rate, bullet drop over distance, magazine reliability and so on.

Good luck.
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

In case you check gunbroker.com and find out what your current Colt is really worth (I have no idea), there's a Colt 6920 for $730 + s/h to a FFL of your choice (and his fee) @ Gunprime.com . Good luck with whatever you choose...enjoy the class.
    My opinion is if a company makes their product in the US they usually go out of their way to brag about it. If they say nothing about it and you can't find anything about it after a 20-minute search on their website, chances are it's made by 8-year-olds with hammers and lead paint in some place like Uganda or Mongolia...

45 ACP
    I am glad I asked the question. I will look into selling in states like Mass. to see if it is feasible for me. The Colt 6920 sounds like a viable option. Good point about gear reliability in a training class. Looks like I have some work to do to prepare for this class.

7. Likes ccather's Post:

Great weapon you have there but,with respect,nothing special. That is unless you are saveing it for your kids or grandkids.
    Buy a $500 AR,break it in properly,use it at the class as your primary weapon,use the Colt as backup.
    IMO,if that Colt has no special meaning for you other than $$$,it SHOULD be shot,it SHOULD be used. --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)

9. Likes SAWMAN's Post:

Blue or Green label box? IIRC there were some prebans that had special blocks inserted into the lower to prevent adding any rock and roll parts like the drop in auto sear, I think these were the blue label boxes. Later they went full post ban with the bayonet lug removal, which incidently stopped all the bayonet killings that were so rampant.

Preceding the blue label were the green label boxes, no restrictions and one of those would probably be a good collectable if it's still truly NIB.

RH

12 GA
    I would definitely buy another AR before the course. Why? Because nobody should have just one!

12. 4 Like Murfpcola's Post: