Should I use my pre-ban Colt AR for training class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Background: I have a Colt Lightweight Sporter I bought just before the Clinton gun ban. The serial numbers indicate it is a pre-ban. It has about 200 rounds through it and is in very nice condition. It is the only AR I have.

I would like to take a basic AR course at CORE in Baker. I have little AR experience and want to fix that. I expect I will be adding training wear and marks to the rifle. I do not know if this rifle has any special value today that would be lost by using it in a class.

I am asking for your advice in the hopes of preventing me from losing money by destroying the "collector" value of this rifle, if there is any.

Thanks!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a pre Ban Colt SporterII thats 50/50 A1-A2, in the same condition. Safe Queen, no intent to shoot it. Flood of cheaper priced ARs in recent months reduce buyer potential except States that maintained the Ban as a State Law. It varies but pre-ban were grandfathered. Which created a higher dollar market them. I don't know the Laws of those States regarding out of State sales into Ban States.

On a side note: its great to take a training course but you need to make sure your gear is reliable and even if it is, a backup AR could keep you from spending money on a Class you can't finish. Often Staff and other students can help you out with a equipment failure but there are no guarantees. I don't know "how basic" the Course is. Some folks wouldn't consider 200 rounds enough of a reliability test. You might want to shoot, clean, inspect, lube and shoot more before the Course to get a better feel for the AR, and what ammo it likes and doesn't, bullet weight verse barrel twist rate, bullet drop over distance, magazine reliability and so on.

Good luck.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In case you check gunbroker.com and find out what your current Colt is really worth (I have no idea), there's a Colt 6920 for $730 + s/h to a FFL of your choice (and his fee) @ Gunprime.com . Good luck with whatever you choose...enjoy the class.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am glad I asked the question. I will look into selling in states like Mass. to see if it is feasible for me. The Colt 6920 sounds like a viable option. Good point about gear reliability in a training class. Looks like I have some work to do to prepare for this class.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Great weapon you have there but,with respect,nothing special. That is unless you are saveing it for your kids or grandkids.
    Buy a $500 AR,break it in properly,use it at the class as your primary weapon,use the Colt as backup.
    IMO,if that Colt has no special meaning for you other than $$$,it SHOULD be shot,it SHOULD be used. --- SAWMAN

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blue or Green label box? IIRC there were some prebans that had special blocks inserted into the lower to prevent adding any rock and roll parts like the drop in auto sear, I think these were the blue label boxes. Later they went full post ban with the bayonet lug removal, which incidently stopped all the bayonet killings that were so rampant.

Preceding the blue label were the green label boxes, no restrictions and one of those would probably be a good collectable if it's still truly NIB.

RH

Top Bottom