• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get a rabbit squealer and start calling them in and shooting them. I'll shoot them year round. During deer season or not.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I saw a coyote during the daylight hours here once, 4 years ago...

We’ve got a few pics of them trotting across food plots in the middle of the day.
    I used to see a lot of rabbits on food plots but haven’t seen the first one this year.

Danoobie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get a rabbit squealer and start calling them in and shooting them. I'll shoot them year round. During deer season or not.

Does that work, over there? Because I've tried Coyote calls of all kinds, dekes, bait, distress calls for mice, rats,rabbit, raccoon, and squirrel,
    here.

As far as seeing them on game cameras, you have a rifle attached to that game camera? I'm just saying my experience here is they
    are a stone bitch to hunt in short brush. Yeah, occasionally they'll screw up, and you'll shoot one, but in the process, dozens will grow
    old and die, and you'll play hob making a dent in the overall population.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think it is easier to call them in at night, that is when I see most of them. They cannot see you but with night vision or thermal you have the advantage

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does that work, over there? Because I've tried Coyote calls of all kinds, dekes, bait, distress calls for mice, rats,rabbit, raccoon, and squirrel,
    here.

As far as seeing them on game cameras, you have a rifle attached to that game camera? I'm just saying my experience here is they
    are a stone bitch to hunt in short brush. Yeah, occasionally they'll screw up, and you'll shoot one, but in the process, dozens will grow
    old and die, and you'll play hob making a dent in the overall population.

try the baby coon fight. that'll draw in, crows, fox, coons, coyotes, ferel cats and bobcats. 1st time i played it, I had my truck half on an old dim road and half of it in the bushes, and I swear, a red fox popped out of the woods, came running straight to me on this dim road. remember, 1/2 of my truck is in this same road, plus I'm standing at the rear bumper. he got about 12' of me before he even looked at me. stopped, looked toward the caller, started toward the caller, still coming toward me, I reached to grab the rifle, laying in the bed of the truck, and he stopped, as i was turning with rifle in hand he turned and put it in high gear into the woods. This all happened quickly and within 3 minutes of setting up. This joker was fast trotting on this road with his head looking in the way of the caller. I guess he'd been on that road so many times, he didn't need to look where he was stepping. But what he was doing was going down wind of the sound, he didn't go straight to it. coyotes will do the same thing, but have had a few that went straight for it. when they do that, there's more competition there, be it more 'yotes, bobcat or fox, and he is hungry and wanting it 1st.

Danoobie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that on a Foxpro? Or is it a manual caller?

I once had a bobcat walk right up to the caller. He was so close he was under my rifle's
    parallax. Took the shot anyway, and he did a back-flip two feet in the air. I swear his feet
    never touched the ground, he got out of there so fast.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is that on a Foxpro? Or is it a manual caller?

Not sure if its on the Foxpro Boss Dogg or not, its still in the sealed box?
    But it's on my ICOtec gc500. Just not sure if it came pre-loaded or I downloaded it to it? I'm fairly sure it was pre-loaded tho..

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it is easier to call them in at night, that is when I see most of them. They cannot see you but with night vision or thermal you have the advantage

Have to get a permit from ALDCNR. They don't just hand those out. If you know one of the state biologists, it's easier.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    a permit for coyotes?

guess I better get a permit for rat killing too ....that is next, after the armadillo permit

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Alabama is real tough (makes it hard) for the hunter to hunt at night for coyotes and hogs. ESPECIALLY using thermal,any suppression whatsoever,bait,and etc,etc. And especially for the non resident.
    I have been asked by several people to come up and help them out with the hog problem. After checking into the rules and regs . . . I declined to go.
    Too expensive and too many hoops. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom