Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Finally got an email that the replacement end mill has been packed and will be shipped tomorrow.

Meanwhile, thanks to friends and forum members, the other parts are coming together. Picked up a slightly used 20" pencil bbl with a very nice set of triangular hand guards yesterday from kanaka. A guy on a machine-gun forum I've been a member of for many years is sending a very nice D stock and a duck bill flash hider. I decided to make my Mattel similar to the Mattel Marauder toy M16 with its duck bill flash hider since Sawman posted that picture. Got a nice M16A1 upper with parts coming from a guy in Michigan. Brownells is suppose to deliver an A1 buttstock screw and aluminum black Wednesday.

Last edited by Daezee; 02-12-2018 at 09:24 PM.

2. Likes Daezee's Post:

FLT

Name:  DSC_0024.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  279.1 KB

WOw Can you send me the link to where you found the but

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Ah, No. It's coming from a guy on a machine-gun list. He'd been saving it, but offered it to me along with the duck bill when he read of my Mattel project (I'm loaning him the 80% jig and tool set when we are done with our receivers). He only had the one stock and duck bill. However, I was gonna order from here: http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/gun-parts.html, as the D stocks sounded OK (VG to EXC) and were cheaper than others were listing. If you go to order from them, let me know before hand, as that is where I want to get the A1 grip and rifle buffer tube from and might get a new right hand triangular hand guard for $5 for my son-in-law to experiment engraving/lasering a small Mattel logo on. They had the lowest price on A1 grips and good price on the rifle buffer tube. They didn't, however, have an A1 front sight post that I need.

Ok Thanks. See you at the range

https://www.lasar15.com/mattel-marau...ver-combo.html

An "earlier version marked Mattel receiver".

8. Likes Daezee's Post:

FLT

Coming together great!! Looking forward to seeing final product

45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    These folks have em but are asking Gunbroker buy now prices.

https://www.uscollectorsordnance.com/

BRUCE, To ensure the build is "correct" to the ones that were a special issue item to the conscientious objectors that were hanging around the officers club in Binh Thuy, your build has got use one of them MARAUDER lowers as in the link in your post #26. --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

It's a little known fact (VERY little known) that Mattel first made the M16 Marauder toy rifle, then an executive of Mattel decided they would make a few (about 10; so far no one has found the exact number made, the highest serial number observed was 10) M16 Marauders in 5.56 modeled after the toy Marauder to see if Mattel could do it.

Mattel then made a short run of M16A1's in 5.56 since the U.S. had by then finalized the M16A1 design. "Short run" is undefined in the available Mattel records as to exactly how many; current Mattel leadership has failed to cooperate with outside requests as to exact numbers and dates of manufacture. The words "short run" were found in the minutes of one of Mattel's meetings. Also unknown is how many were registered in the 1968 GCA amnesty. The hope was that the U.S. would followup with large orders, which never materialized due to the stigma of issuing a rifle made by a toy company. It is thought that Mattel just wanted to put the whole "we made 5.56 M16's and M16A1's" experience behind them.

A few of the first Mattel M16A1's used some leftover parts from the M16 5.56 Marauder experiment (based upon the two photos existing), hence my use of a duck bill flash hider would be correct for an early Mattel 5.56 M16A1 along with the non-trap door stock even though the receiver is marked M16A1. The Mattel M16A1's had chrome bores; unknown about the barrels used in the M16's.

It's hard enough to find correct parts for a Mattel M16A1, let alone the Mattel M16, so for this project, I'm sticking with an early Mattel M16A1 in 5.56 and improvising where I have to.

Sawman, based upon what you posted (I never went to Vietnam, but was stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC) it appears at least 1 of the Mattel M16's made it to Vietnam, not including the M16A1's that troop said they were issued. Slowly we are filling in the pieces of the Mattel puzzle.
    Last edited by Daezee; 02-13-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added comment to Sawman's post