• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JS_280

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently attended the Covert Carry class put on by Chase Jenkins of Talon Defense. As the name suggests, the class was centered on drawing and shooting from concealment, both static and on the move.

Drawing from concealment is something we know we have to do, but sometimes just try to fumble our way through it. Chase took us through multiple different types of concealment: Heavy coats, coats + button-up shirts, t-shirts, t-shirts with undershirts, etc. During the course I learned some much needed movements for properly clearing cover garments and even multi-layer cover garments. This alone was worth the price of the class.

As with most handgun classes, we touched on fundamentals, reloads, malfunction clearing, movement, etc. One of the great things about this course was that it wasn't just focusing on the shooting techniques, but also mindset and problem solving. We not only spent time engaging single and multiple threats, but also had courses of fire where we would draw on a threat, issue verbal commands, and shoot/not shoot based on further information that was given to us. I feel that this is an important--but often missing--part of any class, as it breaks the habit of immediately firing every time your weapon comes out of the holster.

One of the most eye-opening parts of the class was the final drill, involving a total of 10 numbered targets setup in a small area to simulate a semi-crowded room. Most of the targets/steel were overlapping in one way or another and during the drill you were required to constantly be searching for and engaging the numbered targets that were being (quickly) called out. It gave me a real appreciation of muzzle awareness, as well as shooting angles to ensure that any target being engaged wasn't in front of, or behind, a no-shoot target. By the end of approximately 2 minutes and three magazine changes, which feels like an eternity under stress, I had to remind myself to breathe...

Chase also has a habit of using his "malfunction stick" to poke at the back of your pistol and ejection port to cause multiple malfunctions that you have to clear in order to complete the exercises. I had never seen anyone use this method before, but it's very effective in forcing you to remember your malfunction clearance procedures while in the midst of stressful drills.

Finally, as with all classes, one of the best things about them is finding what gear works for you, and what doesn't. As a user of XS Big Dot sights for almost 10 years now, this is the first class I've taken that implemented drills involving targets at 35+ yards. Needless to say, the Big Dot sights were a major hindrance (for me) in connecting at any distance beyond about 20 yards. With the increase of Active Shooters in churches, and the fact that my wife and I now attend a larger church where 50+ yard shots may be a possibility, it's definitely time for me to rethink my sight choice.

Chase is a great instructor, with some really great insights. The class was very safety oriented, but at the same time, implemented modes of movement and muzzle positioning that would mimic real-world situations. I highly recommend this class to anyone who is interested.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May I ask where the course was conducted? I am looking for some advanced training but can't drive too far since I would have to take days off from work (can't afford that right now). Also did you fire while moving and/or engage moving targets? Thank you for your post.

JS_280

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May I ask where the course was conducted? I am looking for some advanced training but can't drive too far since I would have to take days off from work (can't afford that right now). Also did you fire while moving and/or engage moving targets? Thank you for your post.

The class was hosted by Frontier 1 Kinetics, at a private (?) range between Foley and Elberta. I believe they have plans to host a few more Talon Defense courses this year, but they haven't updated their course calendar just yet.

We shot on the move for probably 30% (?) of the class. That may seem low, but the course was specifically designed to teach techniques on drawing from concealment.

The movement portions involved closing on the threat, retreating from the threat with physical strikes and shooting from retention, as well as lateral movements. The final drill I mentioned places you in a marked out area that is roughly 3x10ft. You are required to stay in that area and engage the targets being called out while moving forward, backwards, and laterally to find angles you can shoot from in order to avoid the no-shoot targets that are setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom