• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I get lot numbers for brass matter when reloading due to different issues with the manufacturing process but for us factory ammo guys how big an issue is it when shooting different lot numbers on factory ammo once we have sighted our guns in? Will/can their be a significant change in poi? Say to 300yds?

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For hunting?

I've seen 1-1.5" off before at 100 yds with cheaper factory ammo between boxes, granted sometimes thoes boxes were bought a few years apart too. I usually try to do at least a 1 round test shot to make sure there is nothing drastic. Hate to miss a shot on a big one for lack of taking the time to check my gun.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes. I found the Hornady ELD ammo is shooting 1/2" groups at 200 out of a new gun. Went back to buy a couple boxes and shelf was empty. Ran over to Mike's who had 1 box left but diff lot number. Will have to try a test round at lunch today. Just going to send it if one steps out this AM. Normally try to keep consistent lot numbers but was out of luck this time.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have 3 lots of Wolf Match Target .22lr ammo. For any given .22 rifle (if the rifle is accurate enough), one or more of the lots will often group different (more or less accurate with a sometimes different impact point) than the other lot(s). I would therefor think that could apply to centerfire ammo. But for practical use in hunting where you are not using a bench rest with sand bags, I doubt one would notice.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I believe that as long as you use the same UPC code of ammo (manufacturer,weight bullet,type bullet,etc.) if your groups open up,or move noticeably,it will be due to several dozen other variables and not the ammo itself. --- SAWMAN

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The thought behind keeping lots separate is to eliminate as many variables as possible when precision reloading ie benchrest , F Class , Service Rifle etc . If you're a serious shooter brass prep , weighing cases , weighing bullets , concentricty , neck thickness etc . become more important . The idea is if cases weigh the same they have the same internal capacity . If bullets weigh the same they'll fly the same . It can get incredibly anal . When I seriously competed in rifle I would go through & sort cases that weighed between + / - .2 of a grain & same with bullets . Case prep uniform primer pockets , inspect necks etc. That's why many buy Lapua or Norma brass as primer pockets are uniform & they're more precisely uniform in weight variance & neck thickness along with more uniform case lengths . Ammo lots for factory stuff can vary , so if your gun shoots lot XYZ well get a case of it . Especially with 22lr . Even the top grade Eley & Lapua will vary lot to lot . Both offer places where you can shoot different lots to see what performs best in your rifle . Serious people then buy as much of that particular lot that they can afford . Thank God none of this means much for handgun ammo . For my Bullseye 50yd ammo I use same make cases , weigh bullets ( cast w/o lube ) & separate into lots that weigh within the same +/- .2 grains . For 25yd ammo all that's a waste of time . At 25yds if you can shoot you can use rocks & still clean a target . Another reason jacketed & swaged lead are used by your best shooters , for the simple fact that they are more uniform .

Last edited:

Members online

Top Bottom