• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am an older guy who has taken up pistol shooting as a hobby. I have shot long guns all my life and always considered myself a pretty fair shot. I've been shooting handguns for about a year and initially my accuracy was terrible. It was amazing how hard it was to hit a large target at 3 yds. Very humbling experience. I've gotten better by reading a number of handgun forums and watching a lot of You Tube videos. I shoot almost every weekend in my back yard. I do not live very close to a range. I know improvement is not quick but I would like to know I'm going down the right path. I would like to find some instruction that will help me with the basics of shooting accuracy. I live in Baldwin county Alabama. Any advice will be appreciated.

Outdoorsman22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what type of handguns you are shooting, but one tip is when lining up your sights really focus on your front sight picture. Also, slow smooth trigger presses. If you are able to dry fire practice that can help a lot too. There are quite a few videos on Youtube that give could visual and instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Find an instructor. Go shoot with them. They don't have to be super tactical operator guy. A halfway decent instructor should be able to watch you shoot and help you with some of the big picture stuff. It's good that you're getting out and shooting and doing some research but academics will only take you so far. If your form/mechanics aren't correct and you've been practicing them that way this whole time, it's not doing you any good.

Sight Alignment, Trigger Control. It sounds easy but there are any number of ways to mess both of them up. If you've got time, Oneshot on the forum has helped many forum members with pistol shooting and he teaches CCW classes as well.

Best of luck.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If you want, we can go over to JJ's house, (Oneshot), in Jay, FL, and he can teach you some stuff. He is a very nice guy. Let me know if you want to ride over there.

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Find an instructor. Go shoot with them. They don't have to be super tactical operator guy. A halfway decent instructor should be able to watch you shoot and help you with some of the big picture stuff. It's good that you're getting out and shooting and doing some research but academics will only take you so far. If your form/mechanics aren't correct and you've been practicing them that way this whole time, it's not doing you any good.

Sight Alignment, Trigger Control. It sounds easy but there are any number of ways to mess both of them up. If you've got time, Oneshot on the forum has helped many forum members with pistol shooting and he teaches CCW classes as well.

Best of luck.

jj will have ya cuttin cards in no time....

rich

Top Bottom