• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi gents,
    Anyone have any experience with the Wolf A1 upper?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...ccessories/wolf-a1-upper-detail.html?Itemid=0

Seems to be a copy of Taiwan's current military rifle upper sans bayo mount and a couple of little things. Biggest thing is that it is a purpose built piston upper for the AR15 with attention given to the carrier tilt issues etc on retrofit ARs.

If the government ever decides to start paying its military again I may pick one up and let y'all know how it goes. I the meantime if anybody has experience with this upper I would love to read a forum review. Watched all the videos and read a lot of stuff.

Seems like it just slips onto any standard milspec lower receiver and off ya go. Gonna read a bit more about what all differences there are and maybe see about making a T91 clone if parts are available.

Photo courtesy of the firearm blog

Cheers.

Attachments

• wolf a1.jpg
      wolf a1.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 939

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don't have one, but have read many many posts about them over the last couple of years. One or two have had problems which could not be solved by breaking in and thorough cleaning and had to be returned; Wolf fixed the problems. Several users reported that the chamber on new units has to be thoroughly cleaned before using, just don't go and try to shoot it as-is from the box. Sometimes a shorter or taller front sight post is needed, depending upon which rear sight (it doesn't come with a rear sight or carry handle) the new owner installed. Otherwise, they seem to run well. Accuracy seems to be typical AR, 1-3" at 100yd off a good rest. Not chrome lined bore, but nitrided, if that matters to you. Street price went down $100 a couple of months ago to $499 from $599. Full auto bolt carrier, so they can be used on your M16.

A few people have done 80% lowers and made their own clones. See below link. A company or two are now offering clone parts/accessories for them.

You got me thinking...maybe if my Mattel M16A1 clone 80% receiver goes well, a T91 could be in my future. I wonder, can I make a "clone" of a Mattel M16A1, a rifle that never existed? Now that is something to ponder!

https://www.atomicengraving.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_2140.jpg

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well gents I can confirm a couple things as of right now. Like Daezee said out of the box it has a super tight or sticky chamber. I thoroughly scrubbed the chamber prior to live fire, however even after a good cleaning and chamber scrub I would have to do a light smack on the ground to get it to eject a chambered round. Just slightly.

It was hard enough that I could not dry cycle it shouldered. I would have to bend and do the ol buttstock bump while pulling charging handle. Just a slight bump I assumed that actual firing it would be ok.

So I went and fired only 100 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo. Functions flawlessly. Come home and dry cycle a few rounds and wouldn’t ya know, it ejects round like any other good AR15 should manually. So that 100 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and change mags loosened it up enough I guess.

So far so good. Moving forward with the T91 clone. Have correct rear sights coming. Installed correct muzzle device today, though I need to reaseach where to time it correctly. The index line has the hole strings and cutouts slightly canted at the 2 o’clock position. Makes sense if compensating an up and right climb like an AK. So makes sense that it mimics the AK slant break style of compensation.

Either way threads are a bit long and even with timing nut leaves a bit much exposed for my liking so think I’ll have to add a crush washer and time it right, it’s semi auto only so not really worried about climb too much

Next is the debate whether or not to attempt finishing an 80% lower that has all the tawainese markings already engraved. Or if I’ll get a graphic free lower and have the markings duplicated on it.

But hardest thing will be finding correct furniture kit. That and a FSB with bayo lug and piece of rail like the real rifle.

Anyway anyone wanting a purpose built AR15 piston upper may want to look at the Wolf A1. Mates right up to any standard AR15 lower and if you are not trying to make a clone just throw your fav optic and furniture and have fun. They do make rails for the upper if you like to hang a bunch of stuff on your guns too.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Are you going to buy one of Centurion Arms 80% lower with the Chinese engraving and DIY it...? Best of luck on this build, keep us all posted.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think this is the same link Daezee posted

https://www.atomicengraving.com/pro...wan-t91-replica/#iLightbox[product-gallery]/3

Has all authentic style engraving even the weird 4 position selector marking. I’m thinking of giving an 80% finish a shot. Been looking at a lot of videos and techniques, looks doable.

I’ll take my time. Steady as she goes. Will post pics of finished project. Daezee Mattel build is looking cool as well. So many projects so little money lol.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well one day when T91 parts are plentiful I will go with a full blown clone. In he mean time I am going tfor the 80% t91 and take my time on a jig and take it slow,

Otherwise here she is. A purpose built AR15. Wolf A1 piston upper, 4150 nitride treated barrel. Changed the muzzle device to correct t91 style. Put on correct t91 rear sight. Those were the only t91 parts I could find. Still need a stock kit.

Colt full lower with enhanced mag release and more stock. May sup up the trigger but may leave it alone. Magpul grip just for Ergos. SignRomeo 5 RDS. Colt is pony marked and has “Piston Carbine” rollmarked which is cool

Homemade sling mounts for the Magpul 2/1 point sling. So all in all a contemporary version of a t91 that will go full clone one I get a hold of the rest of the pieces.

Runs like a champ, runs clean, runs reliable. Can’t wait to really group it it take it out a little to see what it can do.

Attachments

• 84F07459-59A0-4743-B54F-00A4D4AF11D1.jpg
      84F07459-59A0-4743-B54F-00A4D4AF11D1.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 1,260

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those a bit curious about this piston system. CompletmColt lower roll,asked “Piston Carbine”
    Unfortunately I am unable to complete a proper t91 clone at this time due to parts a availablry, this set up functions great for someone just looking for a good piston AR15 for well under 1k.

Some of the extras mounted are t91 originals. Only thing from creating a full clone is Taiwanese lower engravings and the furniture set. Other than that it would be set.

However this makes an excellent piston carbine on the cheap. And you can trick it out just like any other AR15.

Attachments

• DC1E13C4-7F7D-4C55-8EEB-35FAE744F805.jpg
      DC1E13C4-7F7D-4C55-8EEB-35FAE744F805.jpg
      109.9 KB · Views: 1,155
    • B86ABBAF-FC5D-4962-B0BE-866B2FFCE1E7.jpg
      B86ABBAF-FC5D-4962-B0BE-866B2FFCE1E7.jpg
      169.4 KB · Views: 337
    • CFDBB9BC-F7A2-475C-96E6-A6D0E3BB818B.jpg
      CFDBB9BC-F7A2-475C-96E6-A6D0E3BB818B.jpg
      191.5 KB · Views: 631
    • 03441E3F-9CE3-4691-B408-049E93AD78CE.jpg
      03441E3F-9CE3-4691-B408-049E93AD78CE.jpg
      172.8 KB · Views: 367
    • 98FF0B22-8274-4D0A-ABF4-33204FBACE40.jpg
      98FF0B22-8274-4D0A-ABF4-33204FBACE40.jpg
      192.1 KB · Views: 382
    • 23205FDC-A2F8-41E5-9018-6EE2B3762651.jpg
      23205FDC-A2F8-41E5-9018-6EE2B3762651.jpg
      179.2 KB · Views: 311
    • 0FEC3B09-C721-410A-809B-513AD73B67C9.jpg
      0FEC3B09-C721-410A-809B-513AD73B67C9.jpg
      192.8 KB · Views: 354

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Not sure where I'm gonna go with this, whether I'm gonna go as far as Red in cloning a T91, but the company that made my 80% Mattel lower made me a Taiwanese Type 91 80% before they closed their shop for a few months due to moving. They asked permission to use my Mattel in their advertising, to which I agreed. The 80% T91 arrived a few minutes ago. This time I filled in the engraving with aluminum black before I got cutting oil over it from the milling, and it seemed to take better.

The writing is suppose to translate to:

5.56 assault rifle Type 91 made in Taiwan

DSCN3462.JPG DSCN3463.JPG DSCN3460.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3462.JPG
      DSCN3462.JPG
      64.3 KB · Views: 484
    • DSCN3463.JPG
      DSCN3463.JPG
      62.2 KB · Views: 490
    • DSCN3460.JPG
      DSCN3460.JPG
      57 KB · Views: 489

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Do ya’ll think that this piston system, or something like the adams arms kits are more reliable than standard di setup in either rifle or carbine length? I know the adarms arms kits definitely run cooler in the bolt carrier and receiver area

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have a Ruger piston upper and a SIG 516 piston upper. Both keep the receiver, bolt carrier, chamber cleaner than a DI firearm. I'll admit I rarely clean those uppers.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That looks awesome Daezee!! Is that the 80% from atomic? That is who I was going to buy mine from. No biggie if I have to wait till he moves to his new shop

Hopefully when I get my 80 you can talk me thru the lower. A proper engraved receiver would make my build 90% complete.

The hardest parts to find are a furniture set and replacement gas block with bayo lug and small rail portion. The stock set becomes available from time to time and I have been scanning ebay constantly in hopes of coming accross one. I got the actual t91 break and rear peep. The rear peep mounts weird like none I have ever seen. It takes 2 T slots and secured by a roll pin instread of a bolt and nut. Weird but works well and very sturdy.

Other than that to so far I have way less than 1k into a dedicated piston AR15 which is awesome. I'll be a bit more into it for a t91 clone but thats fine cause thats just a labour of love being a firearm hobbiest.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nope. It came from Cold Goat who sells on Gunbroker. Easy to mill with the jig setup I bought, just time consuming. I milled out my T91 receiver yesterday. You gotta go SLOW and take shallow cuts; the instructions say to nibble away at the aluminum. Had the end mill broke today by a friend cutting too fast and too deep...lesson learned. 5D Tactical says about 2 weeks to ship a replacement due to the demand for their products.

Been watching T91 Tactical for parts with the same results you have...out of stock. I think I'd rather have the rear sight like you got than the carry handle type of rear sight...your style looks more unique and was less cost. The actual Taiwanese pistol grip also has a nice/different look to it.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've read these Wolf T91 uppers work fine full auto and suppressed. I know you folks are just getting into them but at some point you make a few judgement calls: Is it equal, better or worse then a DI Gas AR? Just a fun gun or viable EOTW grab an go rifle under $1k? I understand it may take a couple thousand rounds before you decide.

I'm a Sig gas piston guy but still have a hardly used Colt SportyII (I had two)I but I haven't shot it in decades (nostalgia). Its pre Ban but prices are still in the dumps so the option of a T91 transplant is interesting.

Thanks,

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've seen videos of the Wolf upper being shot full auto on the M16 lower. If it fits on my M16 lower (my lower can be picky about upper fit) and the bolt carrier is full auto configuration, I'll shoot it full auto and Kendive will post a video.

Since the Wolf upper was introduced, I've seen no reports about anyone firing thousands of rounds through it, thus no reports on longevity. I will be gaging the bore for wear.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I gotta get out there and dial mine in good. I borelight everything but it’s never perfect.
    1:7 nitride treated will be interesting how it holds up. Medium contour as well. Just barrel specs alone say this carbine should be pretty accurate
    Still stalking t91tactcal for furniture, also got a buddy in that area so I told him to try and find a few sets. I’ll probably wait on my 80% lower till I get the furniture. Then that’s it a full clone, well besides the gas block with bayo lug

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Took the Wolf A1 upper to the range and tested 6 different reloads + some Wolf factory steel ammo. Wolf Factory steel was not put on paper, but hit all targets at our 34yd plinking range by holding right on. Total of 79 rounds fired today. Zero malfunctions. None of the reloads shot bad, and my go-to frangible loads shot very nice so it was sighted in with them.

After I removed the scope used for testing, I installed a Vortex Spitfire 1x and sighted it in. Wrote down where all the other loads hit, so I can use them by simply holding a touch high or low from the frangible zero.

Throat Erosion was .1" at beginning. After a total of 86 rounds fired, the TE is still .1". BCG remained very clean; no surprise there.

Bbl specs I can find say CHF and nitrided. Haven't found anything saying what bbl steel is used...would like to know.

Very pleased with the upper.

Top Bottom