• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Swung by Academy to grab a few more Magpul mags, and cashier asked for my DOB at check out. When asked since when, she said it was Florida Law. Did I miss something, or is she as full of *&it as her bulging pants with zipper not quite closed was?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If your talking the Academy on Davis . . . I hate that place. The gun dept. clerks are as dumb as dirt. The cashiers are lazy and untrained. The customer service dept . . aint.
    Never heard of the DOB thing. Guessing . . she is as uninformed as the rest. --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    No doubt, she was acting on a prompt from the machine; I doubt she has that much initiative. Think I will call and talk to a manager on the issue. If their rule, say so; but do not say it is Florida law.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    No doubt, she was acting on a prompt from the machine; I doubt she has that much initiative. Think I will call and talk to a manager on the issue. If their rule, say so; but do not say it is Florida law.
    Please post what you find out.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Called the store and asked for the manager. Was passed to a guy who asked what I needed. I asked if he was a manager, he said he could be. WTF kind of answer is that? I asked if he was in charge of the store and he said he was. I told him what happened and he said he was not sure it was Florida law, but it could be Federal law. He said that the cashier was prompted to ask by the machine. I assured him I knew that, as she did not seem knowledgeable enough to me to ask on her own. I then told him that it was not Florida law, nor Federal law as I knew and understood it. It has been some years since I held an FFL, but I was pretty sure Federal law had not changed in that regard to my knowledge.

He then tried to start another quibble, and I told him that if it was store/company policy; just say so and let the customer decide if they want to support that policy. I told him that I would not buy any mags there and would likely reduce my patronage for the unnecessary questioning and intrusion. I also told him that this was already posted on a local gun forum, and I would be updating it.

I plan to send an email to Academy customer support about the whole matter and express my lack of patience for the over regulation. Pass it on if it annoys you as it does me!

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Seems pretty bizarre to be asked that question here. Reminds me of the time I went to the checkout to pay for some .22 ammo at Mike's in Pensacola a couple of years ago during the shortage. Cashier said she needed my name and address. I asked why and she said the owner required it. I said "no, I don't think so" and left the ammo sitting there. That was my first and last visit to that store.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I say just lie and don't tell them your real DOB / Phone number and move on... I have a memorized phone # I use for when they ask. I will never ever give out my SSN no matter what. Docs like to have this info and they are not getting it. If they insist I give them a bogus one and move on.

We have all our credit froze but I still am not handing out my ssn to some stupid doc office.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I say just lie and don't tell them your real DOB / Phone number and move on... I have a memorized phone # I use for when they ask. I will never ever give out my SSN no matter what. Docs like to have this info and they are not getting it. If they insist I give them a bogus one and move on.

We have all our credit froze but I still am not handing out my ssn to some stupid doc office.

I gave them my cigarette birth date, no need for them to know; or even ask, given my obvious gray hair and age! LOL

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I gave them my cigarette birth date, no need for the to know; or even ask, given my obvious gray hair and age! LOL

going to give 7/7/17, then when the machine kicks it back, I will say 1917 dumbasss, do I look one year old to you?

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The same thing happened to me at the Academy Sports in Foley. The clerk told me it was company policy and that she could not complete the transaction without my birthdate. I made light of it and told her that I was flattered that she might not think I was old enough to buy a magazine.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I don't think lying is a good idea. If there was some law, Federal or State that required this information, then you would be running afoul of that law.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I don't think lying is a good idea. If there was some law, Federal or State that required this information, then you would be running afoul of that law.

If there were, and they could check it; you might be right. Fortunately I KNOW there is no such law in Florida (or Federal code), hence my ire at it being represented as "Florida" law.

I there is ONE thing I am comfortable in, it is firearm related laws; in this state and Federal. Obviously, you are not as well informed on this topic since your started you position with the word "If".

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    going to give 7/7/17, then when the machine kicks it back, I will say 1917 dumbasss, do I look one year old to you?

Ummm; if you did so, and replied so...they may still look at you funny. July 2017 has only been SIX months by my count bro!

I know, I was told there would be no math too! LMAO

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Tried to send an email today, and could not find an email address on the corporate web page. I called the customer assistance number; and after a few menu selections I talked to a seemingly uninterested lady, who listened to my tale and apologized for the issue. She took my email for follow-up, but I am not hopeful on hearing from them again.

No email contact for the company, and they are so difficult to contact with an issue? I am done with them. Hopefully Gander Outdoors will bring a good enough selection to town to put Academy Sports out of our misery! Last store that pissed me off so bad was J. C. Penny's in 1984. Never did business with them again since.

jdrph270

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've bought mags online with Sportsmans guide and had to verify my DOB at checkout

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

arowzee727

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The cashier is full of shit. I think your're overreacting though over something really fucking stupid. Ever bought beer or cigs? Same thing. No big deal. They did lie and the manager could have been more knowledgeable. But come on wtf do you expect from Academy? World class knowledge? I am Academy is not going to care about your rant. You was lied too...Welcome to the real world man. Just my 2 cents.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walmarts typically asks for date of birth or at least to know you are of legal age to buy ammunition asking to see ID to be sure. If ID is not required then lie. There is no reason to give anyone information if you do not have to. If you do not sign a document and they do not orally record the transaction, even if there was a law, it would not be enforceable.

Top Bottom