• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hardest thing to understand when I watched that video was the battering and then increase in headspace which is the ticking time bomb reference. It does suggest to me (I am not an engineer) that the metals were too soft.
    It is becoming difficult to find many brands of AKs out there that are made right. The arsenal ones are made from the right materials and you pay for it. Older AKs imported into this country from arsenals that have been in business since comblock times are usually good. Even the less than ideal WASRs. Robski put 10,000 rnds through one. But apparently there is at least one case of a newly imported AK from a new Polish factory that is also junk. The price of an Arsenal is equivalent to a well made AR, if not more.
    I currently have a chinese Norinco MAK 90 which will out last me. But even some of the imported combloc weapons could be problems. The Maadi AK while not from a combloc country was made on a russian supplied plant and complete imported Maadis are fine rifles. But there were some where receivers were mated with other parts in America those are not good. If the monkeys at century arms had their hands on it, then beware of it.
    But generally, polytech, norinco, WASR, and Maadi were put together using the proper materials for the receiver trunions and bolt carrier and bolt. . When you can find them, they still may need some minor fitting. But they are not $200-$350 dollars any more.
    I plan buy some head space gauges to make sure my AK and SKS rifles are safe.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To properly make an AK can not be done right in a mountain cave in Pakistan or similar low tech place. Below is how involved it is just to make the magazine of an AK. But the way, I think at least 75% of the AK's reliability is due to its magazine.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be wary of certain Maadi's. Later one's aren't true Maadi's. Century had a bunch of Maadi receivers somehow and had a bunch of leftover Chinese parts and put a bastard of an AK out called the MISR-90. If it's marked as such, RUN! It's a POS. You can also tell by looking at the front trunnion and the rivet pattern. Also by how the barrel is attached to the trunnion. MISR-10's should be GTG generally speaking.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have one and like it. But I have never thrown in it the creek, filled it with sand/dirt/stones, or threw it on the ground. It does what I want it to do, but I did put some new clothes on her. I figure I'll put the old wood on another rifle I have around here. Before I bought, I searched high and low on the internet and it seems the only reference above is about all that's out there. No lawsuits or anything naming Century Arms? anyone know of any lawsuits?

Attachments

• 0527181510b.jpg
      0527181510b.jpg
      725.9 KB · Views: 343
    • 0527181510a.jpg
      0527181510a.jpg
      666.1 KB · Views: 339

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one and like it. But I have never thrown in it the creek, filled it with sand/dirt/stones, or threw it on the ground. It does what I want it to do, but I did put some new clothes on her. I figure I'll put the old wood on another rifle I have around here. Before I bought, I searched high and low on the internet and it seems the only reference above is about all that's out there. No lawsuits or anything naming Century Arms? anyone know of any lawsuits?
    How many rounds do you have through it. What is you headspace like. What gauges have you tested it with. Have you looked for microfractures. Even if you get a head case separation one may very get by without major injury.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How many rounds do you have through it. What is you headspace like. What gauges have you tested it with. Have you looked for microfractures. Even if you get a head case separation one may very get by without major injury.

I may have 500-750 rounds through it. There's a lot of them in circulation, if they were blowing up, I'd think we would be hearing about it no? I know there's fellas out there with these C39's that shoot much, much more than I do... My headspace, I don't know, haven't had it checked. Are you aware of anyone getting injured? Not causing discontent.... I'm new around here lol... If people were getting hurt, why aren't we hearing about it, I'd figure there would be lawsuit after lawsuit and class action suits including everyone that owns a C39? Oh, I don't stand there doing mag dumps either, I may shoot a mag of 30, then shoot another gun for a while, rotate from gun to gun, then come back to the AK later in the day for another mag or 2. That's my normal shooting pattern, not dumping 25 mags in a 20 minute period. again, not starting a argument, but looking to see if you or anyone know of any actual injuries from the C39's in normal use. I'd be super interested in learning about them.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may have 500-750 rounds through it. There's a lot of them in circulation, if they were blowing up, I'd think we would be hearing about it no? I know there's fellas out there with these C39's that shoot much, much more than I do... My headspace, I don't know, haven't had it checked. Are you aware of anyone getting injured? Not causing discontent.... I'm new around here lol... If people were getting hurt, why aren't we hearing about it, I'd figure there would be lawsuit after lawsuit and class action suits including everyone that owns a C39? Oh, I don't stand there doing mag dumps either, I may shoot a mag of 30, then shoot another gun for a while, rotate from gun to gun, then come back to the AK later in the day for another mag or 2. That's my normal shooting pattern, not dumping 25 mags in a 20 minute period. again, not starting a argument, but looking to see if you or anyone know of any actual injuries from the C39's in normal use. I'd be super interested in learning about them.
    I know of no injuries and your rifle certainly is likely good for a 1000 or so rounds and that is what century is likely counting on. I shoot a Chinese made MAK90 and it is likely good for 1,000's and 1,000's of round. I still should get some gauges for it to be sure. I am switching over the AR system any way. The WASR rifles that have the receivers and barrel made and assembled in Romania are usually good for 10,000 or more rounds. It is AK made in america, especially by century that are in question.

So I know of no causalities and I certainly hope you are not the first one. Good luck. I am not rich, but i can spend enough to buy rifles that are judged to be safe to shoot.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know of no injuries and your rifle certainly is likely good for a 1000 or so rounds and that is what century is likely counting on. I shoot a Chinese made MAK90 and it is likely good for 1,000's and 1,000's of round. I still should get some gauges for it to be sure. I am switching over the AR system any way. The WASR rifles that have the receivers and barrel made and assembled in Romania are usually good for 10,000 or more rounds. It is AK made in america, especially by century that are in question.

So I know of no causalities and I certainly hope you are not the first one. Good luck. I am not rich, but i can spend enough to buy rifles that are judged to be safe to shoot.

time will tell, I suppose, I also have a ak from romania, but I like the feeling of the milled c39. feels solid to me. if the bolt needs replaced (as the carrier) because if may get deformed, I'll get a polish bolt and carrier and move on. I have seen no abnormal wear in the internal parts nor the bolt, or carrier at this point. but you can bet I'll be watching.... but fir now, I like how it feels and shoots.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am sure this is a dumb question but do headspace gauges work in all rifles in that caliber? Will 7.62x39 go/no go gauges work in my AK, AR and SKS?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    time will tell, I suppose, I also have a ak from romania, but I like the feeling of the milled c39. feels solid to me. if the bolt needs replaced (as the carrier) because if may get deformed, I'll get a polish bolt and carrier and move on. I have seen no abnormal wear in the internal parts nor the bolt, or carrier at this point. but you can bet I'll be watching.... but fir now, I like how it feels and shoots.

If you go that route, you'll more than likely have to get the headspace adjusted. A new carrier with the same bolt is fine, but if you swap the bolt out be sure to check headspace before you try to fire it. I had some trigger time on a C39v2 - yeah, it feels pretty nice. It feels like a solid rifle, but sadly it's not. Century is using substandard materials. If you have the milled receiver bug, I'd go for a SAM7 variant. You pay out the nose for it but that rifle will probably still be kicking when your great great grandkids are running around.

Murfpcola said:
    I am sure this is a dumb question but do headspace gauges work in all rifles in that caliber? Will 7.62x39 go/no go gauges work in my AK, AR and SKS?

Yep.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Feds should remove the import restrictions and allow complete AK variants to flow again purely as a safety issue (not likeky). The AK can be made well, cheaply and provide a profit margin outside the U.S. In the U.S., profit margin drives materials, labor and poor standards/quality delivering a less evpensive substandard result. We know the Quality ($$$$+-) Mfgs.

Mid range (in terms of quality) Service Life reliability requirements for a Soviet Block AK was 10K rounds including 150 rifle grenades and no more then 20 malfunctions. By comparison Norinco MAK90 is 6K rounds and a ARSENAL AR-M1 is 16K rounds. We must keep in mind the concept rational they were designed and built to, which includes it being a consumable item on the battle field.

I don't think its surprising that a lower quality "consumable" doesn't last as long. Century does quantity production and not much Quality production IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom