• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736774459

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, other than I've now sorta committed myself to finishing an 80% lower, but I have this 80% receiver coming to me. 42 years ago when I was given full access to our armory as an "alternate armorer" at 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd FSSG, 2nd Marine Division, I went through all 400 M16's looking for a Mattel (I didn't know better, but I'd heard the rumors of Mattel M16's in Vietnam and wanted to see one; I knew older machine guns, but not M16's). Of course I didn't find any Mattels. Note: I also didn't find any Singer M1911A1's in the Battalion's 400 pistols either, but did find Hydra Matic and H&R M16's and some Colts that were marked M16E1 instead of M16A1. I had not known that General Motors and H&R made M16's, like I said, I didn't know M16's.

I seen pics (photo shopped I suppose) of a Mattel M16's, each a little different in the logo and markings. It got me thinking of a Mattel marked receiver again, and I found this on Gunbroker. I've never completed an 80% receiver, but it looks do-able. Once that's done, I haven't planned on what to do next with it. One step at a time I suppose. Possibly the "best" one could do is put together a retro looking AR resembling a M16A1, but that might cost a bit. M16A1 barreled uppers used to be cheap and available at gun shows years ago, but no more as people have grabbed them up over the years to do their own correct retro builds.

The only improvement I'd like to have seen in the 80% Mattel would be a small circle engraved to simulate that there is an auto sear pin present above the SEMI marking.

Like I said, one step at a time....

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    By the time I hit the fleet in the fall of 1985... most M16A1's were being processed out as the newer M16A2's (much improved imho) were issued as T/O weapons. MCRD San Diego range set at Camp Pendleton ranges still used the M16A1 in the fall of 1984..., not too sure for how much longer they were issued.

Top Bottom