• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After recently losing a Shockwave that I bought as a car/travel gun to my brother, I started looking for a easily concealed car gun replacement. I saw a KEL-TEC SU-16 on another forum and snagged it for a reasonable price. The gun had a full-length tactical aluminum fore end, and the instant I held the rifle, I knew that it HAD to come off. The rifle, which turned out to be a SU-16A with 18.5” barrel, also had the rear sight removed and a cheap IR scope with laser and red dot placed on the top rail. The seller did not receive any original parts when he bought it used. As soon as I got it home I started to remove the fore end after removing the 25oz scopetrosity. After having to drill out a stripped screw head; and Dremel off the screw inside the fore end, I found the rifle to be much lighter (as it was designed to be). Between the scope and hand guard it must have lost 3 or 4 pounds!

KEL TEC SU-16A.jpg

The next day I ordered a Tech Site adjustable rear sight for the rifle, and took it apart for a clean and inspect. Man, this was the dirtiest gun I have taken apart in decades. Figure the stripped screw (fore end had to be removed for detail cleaning) prevented proper maintenance. I had to use 0000 steel wool and Hoppe's solvent to get all the carbon off the gas rod spring. The top of the gas piston head had a half dome of some accumulation that must have been polymer and brass, likely from steel case ammo being fired along with brass, without cleaning. Had to heat the residue with a propane torch to get it off, and finished with polishing the gas rod and head with the Hoppe's soaked 0000 steel wool.

Today, I called KEL-TEC and ordered their polymer compact fore end, a firing pin (possible early model firing pin issues), and a OEM assembly pin (a previous owner had replaced with a 1/4x2” trailer pin with a key ring for “ease” of removal). This pin extended outside the stock on both sides and I hated how it interfered with the griping of the gun. KEL-TEC, in their great customer service fashion threw the pins in for free only charging me for the compact fore end. This compact fore end has a rail on the bottom, which will allow me to mount the surprise received with the gun. It came with a Harris Ultra-Lite bipod, which was not mentioned in the ad.

In keeping with the light carbine theme, I decided to put a HOLOSUN red dot on it. I snagged a Holosun HS503CU from TGD, and think it will fit the gun perfectly. I have an earlier model on a Ruger 22-45 Lite, and love it on that gun, so this was an easy decision for me. More pics to follow when I get it like I want and get it tested and sighted in.

Attachments

• KEL TEC SU-16A.jpg
      KEL TEC SU-16A.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 442

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Received the new Tech Site rear peep. Mounted it and the Holosun. Thought about going with the low mount since the high mount is designed to witness with an AR front sight, but decided to stay with the high mount. With it, I can lower my head and use the open sights if needed. Sorry for the crappy cell pics. Fore end and other parts should be here today or tomorrow and I can show it complete as I want it then.

Tech Site
    20180117_145926.jpg

Holosun
    20180117_150003.jpg

Attachments

• 20180117_145926.jpg
      20180117_145926.jpg
      362.4 KB · Views: 391
    • 20180117_150003.jpg
      20180117_150003.jpg
      348 KB · Views: 393

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Had to update as the compact fore end came in with the new firing pin and assembly pin. It took a while and carful reading to correctly install the fore end. By checking the Kel Tec parts diagram to identify each part they referred to I got it on, and I really like it. The Harris Ultra-Lite bipod was installed to check fit and function. I like it, but it will be in the bag not on the gun while on the road as it will interfere with the folding of the rifle. With the bipod on, balance is right in front of the mag well.

Gun pics

Gun Left Side.jpg
    Gun Right Side.jpg

Pic of red dot reticle. Center dot is a 2 MOA dot, and in this mode it is surrounded by a 65 MOA circle. I think I like it better in this mode, but hope to shoot it tomorrow and see.

Holosun Red Dot.jpg

Attachments

• Gun Left Side.jpg
      Gun Left Side.jpg
      210.5 KB · Views: 349
    • Gun Right Side.jpg
      Gun Right Side.jpg
      225.3 KB · Views: 344
    • Holosun Red Dot.jpg
      Holosun Red Dot.jpg
      224.5 KB · Views: 347

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got out to the range. Unfortunately, when I went to adjust open sights I realized I had left my A1/A2 sight tool at home! Remounted the red dot, and went to sight it in. Decided I did not like the high mount so I started to switch out the mount on it, and my little bristol hex wrench that came with it disappeared! Talk about a disappointing day, lol.

Never found the bristol hex wrench, so ended the day and went home. Fired 40 rounds in the rifle with no failures at all, and the last 10 were a dump of the mag before heading home. I am satisfied with the rifle, except for finishing the sight in, with all the required tools!

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ray I hope you have good luck with that rifle...I had a buddy who had one and it was sent to Keltec many times fer issues. Good looking rifle though!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wondering if that extremely high front sight comes off ??
    Waiting on the Hi Point carbine chambered in 10mm. Those super high and ugly sights come off quite easily. I will use a small red dot sight also. --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Wondering if that extremely high front sight comes off ??
    Waiting on the Hi Point carbine chambered in 10mm. Those super high and ugly sights come off quite easily. I will use a small red dot sight also. --- SAWMAN

The front sight comes off, but I like having back-up iron sights. Luckily, the low mount on the HoloSun 503CU places the 65 MOA circle just above the front sight. Now, I just have to find the other HoloSight bristol wrench from the earlier model to throw in the kit, for just in case.

This gun seems reliable enough to me. I have heard complaints, but not that many for the rifle. One of the common complaints that surfaced was on the compact hand guard fore end. Lot of complaining on how loose it fits and how shaky it is. I can say, installed according to the makers directions that there is NO play in that fore end, and it is as stable as any I have ever owned.

For what I want it for, I think it will serve perfectly; and the light weight and ability to fold to compact dimensions give me what I sought.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also . . . . . several companies make backpacks designed for this type of short or foldable carbines.
    Two that come to mind are 5.11Gear and Maxpedition. There are others for less money on ebay. --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks Saw, but my plan is to stage it in a gym bag with a few battered racquet handles sticking out. That will make carrying the gun and a few extra mags low key.

It should pass a quick inspection/view, and discourage any intruders that may get into the SUV from exploring if in a rush. It will leave the car every day when the days travels are done and that should lower any risk on discovery/theft. I would never leave a firearm in a car overnight, just not my way.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Great idea Ray.
    My Moss Shockwave stays on my trucks back seat,stuck inside the arm of an old,raggedy M-65 field jacket. --- SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Update on this. I think it is set up as it will remain and I hope to take it to the range this holiday weekend to finish sight-in. I went with the low mount for the Holosun, deciding I did not like the difficulty in establishing a good cheek weld on the stock with it on the high mount. Irons will remain for now, and be available should the Holosun ever fail and has to be removed. I added a sling using the Kel-Tech sling kit and mounted the Harris bipod. Was not sure I would until recently and dealt with the lack of hand comfort with it mounted by mounting a vertical fore grip.

20180217_152025.jpg

20180217_152048_resized.jpg

It will still fold enough to lay on a large gym bag with room for a few mags of ammo and reloads in a bandoleer.

Attachments

• 20180217_152025.jpg
      20180217_152025.jpg
      268.1 KB · Views: 202
    • 20180217_152048_resized.jpg
      20180217_152048_resized.jpg
      219.3 KB · Views: 205

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Took it to the range and fine tuned the red dot. I fired about 120 rounds with no issues. Did not measure groups, but if I was steady enough it would put two touching and the third slight out. Maybe barrel heating, but more than adequate for my needs. Have not cleaned the gun and will run it some more next range trip and do a 25 meter zero to set it up for regular use.

Lastrites

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would imagine when it becomes your truck gun you may lose the bi-pod and vfg if you planned on storing it folded?

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The VFG has to come off to get it into a gym bag, but the bi-pod is ok. VFG reattaches easily without tools, and is a convenience same as the bi-pod. I could do without either, but like both. LOL

Top Bottom